Have you tried storing your lenses in lense pouches?

3 years 10 months ago #685649 by Peter Nunez
Honestly, I'm finding myself on the fence here.  Part of me thinks this will preserve my lenses longer and make it easier to store them when not in use.  The other part of me thinks it will be nonsense to use long term.  

I'm not sure what I'm expecting from posting this.  But it's on my mind and I'm going too.  Are you using or have you used lens pouches?  Please share your experience.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #685656 by Nikon Shooter
In any "sealed" storage, given anaerobic microorganism will
have the best growing conditions — even with IF lenses.

Years have taught me that if I am well, my gear will be too,
specially with IF lenses — the same applies to my guitars.

Most of my gear is either in the studio or in the truck — for on
location work — is stored in their respective shoulder bags or
Peli cases.

I would store my gear in sealed containers only in uncontrol-
lable humidity or fine dust conditions.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685671 by CharleyL
I keep the plastic end dust covers on all of mine, and have a couple of sets of the draw string padded pouches to keep them in. The ones that I have are purple color fabric inside. I like the padding that these provide and the draw string doesn't close tight enough to stop air flow in/out of the bags. The only time that they are not protected this way is when they are in use, but even then, the end cap is kept on the face end when I'm actually not taking photos. Each of these bags has a snap hook on the side, so I can have a snap ring on my belt loop and snap one or two of these onto it when needing to move around and change lenses frequently. (almost never need to do this).

Charley

3 years 10 months ago #685726 by Superman
Never use a lens bag, just another barrier to get access to my lens.  

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685752 by Farestad
All the lens bags my lenses came with get stored away with the box.  Never use them. 

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685753 by garyrhook
Mine go in their bags (for the ones that have bags) and into the closet when not being used. When I put my things away. If I put them away, I'm better at not losing track of them among multiple camera bags.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685844 by Fitch
Nope, don't use lens bags either.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685894 by Ted Helm
Back when I first got started, I did keep my lenses and unused gear in boxes and pouches.  These days not the case.  I have all my lenses when not in use, in a glass case in my home library.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685920 by Stanly
Nope, don’t care for them. Only more delay in getting my lens out of my bag.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685938 by Robert Chen
Not much of a lens bag sort of peep as well.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686126 by Ben Vanderbilt
For me, I don't use lens bags.  Matter of fact the only time I have used one is when I was selling the lens and shipping it.  IMHO, they are impractical and not needed for ever day use when you already have a good camera bag.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686160 by Owen
Mine are sitting naked in my camera bag with front and rear cap on only

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686255 by Pat White
Well I guess I'm not alone.  Mine are just stored away in my camera bag with out lens bags too.  I was wondering what those are for.  Or rather when you would use.  I like to be able to just grab my gear and use it.  I don't like to have things in my way of getting my gear out fast.  

3 years 10 months ago #686257 by Nikon Shooter
The safest places for lenses are the bag and the mount. Any
operation in between is a higher risk of accident.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024