What are your selling on ebay tips?

3 years 10 months ago #685841 by Fitch
I'm dusting off my old ebay account to sell some old gear.  It's been something like 8 years at least.  Actually come to think of it, it might be even upwards of 11 years since I have used it.  I've cleaned out my gear closet and put together a pile of stuff I'm not using.  I'm going to sell on ebay.  Any tips you can share so I can tread on the safe side of doing business there?

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685864 by Rawley Photos
Don't sell to someone with new reviews.  There are conartist on there.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685902 by Jon East
Tip for using ebay?  Sit down and get reading to get all sorts of expenses for listing and selling.  Watch out for buyers with no history.  Take plenty of photos and give a detailed description.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685915 by garyrhook
All of the above.

The only major issue I've had over 15+ years is that someone with 0 history won an auction, then didn't want to pay right away. Then they ghosted me. Very annoying, as I had to go through the eBay process to cancel the transaction, which wasted a couple of weeks. I believe there's a way to cancel bids from people with 0 feedback, but I've not had to deal with that since.

The only other odd thing was someone wanting to make an offer but not pay for a week. I declined, suggested they watch the auction, which would likely get relisted. It did, but then someone bought (the lens?) for more than the one offer, so that worked out well.

I've allowed offers, but they tend to be lowball. It took two listings to sell a Nikon 85mm f/1.4D, and the lowball offer I received up front (and declined) ultimately ended up being the single (winning) bid on the second go-round.

All that to say: don't accept offers unless you're really desperate. Bids are better, as is Buy It Now.

Take good photos, be very clear on the condition (be realistic... I hate when people list something as "mint" when it clearly has had heavy cosmetic wear), and tell why you're selling. If it's a lens, include photos taken with the lens. I think the more personable one is, the more good will one can engender from potential buyers. And that can translate into higher bids. It's all selling, right?

Offer free shipping. People are stupid, but camera equipment is heavy. Or charge $8 and use USPS Priority Mail fixed size packaging.

Oh: fees. 10% value fee on photo equipment. And final selling fee (less). They take care of sales tax for you.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685918 by Stanly
+1 The problem with eBay is the fees and there are some shady people on there.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685921 by icepics
I think the latest terms seem to allow for other ebay sellers to use your photos. Although it could have changed. Check the terms.

Sharon
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #685951 by Colorado Mike
Sorry, but eBay sucks

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686056 by Street Shark
You have fraudulent buyers, you need to deal with refunds, avoid people with negative feedback and get ready for the eBay fees.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686100 by Uplander
Well keep in mind, ebay will watch your back if you walk into a bad buyer 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024