If you own both a dSLR and a mirrorless system?

3 years 11 months ago #685956 by TGonzo
When and why are you using a DSLR vs the mirrorless?  Does it make a difference if you are working or shooting for pleasure?  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #685958 by Nikon Shooter
I work only with dSLRs and always with pleasure.

It won't make much difference if you're shooting for pleasure.
as the griefs I have with mirrorless is still the EVF, the single
card and lack of proper grip.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #685962 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote: I work only with dSLRs and always with pleasure.

It won't make much difference if you're shooting for pleasure.
as the griefs I have with mirrorless is still the EVF, the single
card and lack of proper grip.

That would be camera specific and not related to mirrorless in general at all. It won't make a difference whether you are shooting for pleasure or pro work. I have shot both for many years and I will never go back to a DSLR. There are just too many advantages of shooting mirrorless over DSLR versus the few shortcomings mirrorless has now. There is a reason many have switched. The latest and greatest mirrorless are on par with any DSLR.  
3 years 11 months ago #685964 by TGonzo
Perfect, just what I was hoping to hear.  Let me ask you this, are there any points that mirrorless cameras are coming short at right now?  

BTW thank you!!

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #685966 by Nikon Shooter
Sorry, Randy, but he wants to make not a general decision but
a very specific one and I answered the question as I know ML.

I have given three: the EVF, the single card and lack of proper
grip to start with. Then there is the ergonomic (not good on all),
too little room for my paws to feel safe, the light weight of the
bodies is a negative point for me.

I spent two weeks with a ML and I don't need to make the move.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #685969 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote: Sorry, Randy, but he wants to make not a general decision but
a very specific one and I answered the question as I know ML.

I have given three: the EVF, the single card and lack of proper
grip to start with. Then there is the ergonomic (not good on all),
too little room for my paws to feel safe, the light weight of the
bodies is a negative point for me.

I spent two weeks with a ML and I don't need to make the move.

I'm not trying to convince you, but like I said before, your gripes are camera specific. The OP didn't ask about a specific camera but about mirrorless. I know you are referring to the Nikon Z cameras but most mirrorless have two card slots and many have grips. The EVF is the biggest advantage of shooting mirrorless. If mirrorless is not capable why would Mark Smith and many others switch. Mark is a Nikon guy but he switched from a D500 and D850 to a Sony A9 and 7RIV. He shoots mostly birds and birds in flight. Nick Page went from Canon to Sony. Nigel Danson went to the Fuji and the Nikon Z7. Adam Gibbs is using a Fuji medium format now. Joe McNally shoots with the Nikon Z although I admit he probably gets paid by Nikon to do so but he wouldn't use it if it didn't work.  It is very rare to hear of someone going back to a DSLR after shooting mirrorless. I don't know any personally that have. I know since I went mirrorless in 2014 and sold my Nikon DSLR gear 2 years ago, whenever I pick up a top end DSLR, I think holy cow, why would anyone shoot with something that feels as large as a concrete block. The cameras I used to think felt great, now feel cumbersome and awkward. I'm not trying to convince anyone which way to go but the performance levels in  mirrorless are on par with DSLR these days so that is not a deciding factor.  
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #685970 by Shadowfixer1

TGonzo wrote: Perfect, just what I was hoping to hear.  Let me ask you this, are there any points that mirrorless cameras are coming short at right now?  

BTW thank you!!

Coming up short is more camera specific than whether it's mirrorless or not. The Nikon Z system is an excellent system but if you require two card slots, they are a no go. I decline to shoot professionally but if I were starting from scratch, I would probably go with the Nikon Z system since I'm an old Nikon guy. I don't need two slots like pros getting paid. I've never had a card fail in 20 years. The latest Sony cameras, A9, A9II, A7IV and others have amazing autofocus capabilities. The owner of this site just changed to Canon mirrorless cameras. He has videos stating his reasoning for this. Lessor models of mirrorless cameras will be less efficient as far as focus tracking goes but that is the same for lower end DSLR's. Try to get your hands on what you're interested in and make the decision from there. Nikon Shooter will probably die with a DSLR in his grip while I will never use one again. It's all personal choice.
3 years 10 months ago #687854 by KCook

TGonzo wrote: Perfect, just what I was hoping to hear.  Let me ask you this, are there any points that mirrorless cameras are coming short at right now?

I'm a hobby guy, so the business vs question is hypothetical for me.  I just bought my 4th mirrorless camera, have not bought a DSLR in several years.  Though I could still be tempted to get an older full frame DSLR just for the FF experience.

As for business uses, I would be more likely to go for a DSLR for fashion and events.  Where a big size matters little.  Also, I have more confidence in the well established speedlight setups for DSLR.  Funny thing, the common advice is that FF is essential for landscape photography.  Well, I'm tickled with the landscapes I get with crop mirrorless, so I will stick with them.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 10 months ago #687872 by 7Wishes
How many film cameras had dual film cartridge slots, or any form of (hand/finger) grip. 

3 years 10 months ago #687886 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day TG

No offence mate, but this topic is one that has been hawked around before and will continue to be hawked around as long as the two systems remain availble ... so if you search, you will be able to find lots of other feedback here and elsewhere

To answer your Q- direcly ...
I have used film SLRs for over 40 years, then went digital using fixed lens superzoom / bridge cameras and I love them. However a decade ago I decided to get a Panny G2 mirrorless plus a couple of lenses.

I should say here that I do not do any commercial work as others on this site do ... so my needs are quite different. When I was shopping and I handled the APS-sensor dSLRs from Canon & Nikon, I was struck - negatively - by their weight and body size. None of them suited me

When I handled the Panny -yes it has a smaller sensor but that does not bother me - the camera's weight and size and ergonomics suited me ... so I bought it

The EVF in that Panny - and later ones in my current workhorse the FZ-2500 are very, very different from an optical viewfinder. They have been getting better / brighter / less flickery / over the years and nowadays when I peek thru someone else's Canon or Nikon, I much prefer the EVF. =but= as our mate NS says, it is not for everyone

In the 10 yrs that I have had the Panny G2, they are now much more advanced (as are the Oly mirrorless units) with faster focussing, faster saving-to-card speeds, faster continuous / burst rates and heaps of other stuff as well. It is like all electronic development - it keeps going on

The =big= downside to any mirrorless is the battery consumption from the EVF - generalising a bit, mirrorless batteries will only give you half the images that a similar-capacity dSLR battery will do, therefore it is necessary to have a spare or two is you plan for a big shooting session

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024