Ethics and legalities with photographing riots?

3 years 9 months ago #686588 by Conner
With all the riots going on, is there anything wrong with photographing what people are doing?  

Next because of what people are doing, can I do what I wish with the photos without needing permission (for obvious reasons) from the people that I'm photographing?  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #686590 by icepics
Same as any newsworthy event. Depends on the purpose/usage.

For editorial use (newspaper, local TV station, etc.) permission wouldn't be needed (but may be requested by a media outlet). For retail use (T shirts, mugs, etc.) a release would be needed. For commercial use (ads, business purposes, etc.) a release would be necessary.

See info. from professional photographers organizations like asmp.org or PPA.

Sharon
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #686592 by Conner
Good to know, thank you.  I will read that!  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #686594 by Nikon Shooter

icepics wrote: Same as any newsworthy event. Depends on the purpose/usage.

What ever the event, if happening in an open space, you can shoot it.
However, as mentioned, the end usage will determine the limitations.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #686701 by Crazyguy
I'd be careful, I've been reading that they have destroyed and targeted people with cameras.  

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #686709 by Piechura
The one ethical issue you might think about is identifying people. This was something that came up when police were dealing with a terrorist incident in London and people were posting videos without covering the faces of the anti-terrorist police, which could potentially be used by terrorist groups to identify them and target them. Similarly, there are lots of examples of authorities using footage from protests against protesters later on. We've seen a lot of this in Hong Kong, for example, and it also sometimes happens in union protests, where people who were present on strikes mysteriously find themselves blacklisted from a particular industry.

3 years 9 months ago #686729 by icepics
Depends Nikon Shooter on where the wide open space is located. In the US for example there are city & county & state parks that are available for public use but are owned/maintained by the city/county/state who set the rules to be followed by people using the park. Most likely the general public is allowed to bring cameras and take pictures but photographers may not be allowed to set up photo shoots (since that would be using the park to run a business).

If there's anything newsworthy happening most likely there will be TV news crews, newspaper reporters and photographers, etc. So if you are at a protest you could be photographed. (I don't know the situation in Hong Kong and I'm not sure how people could protect their identity in that situation.)

It wouldn't surprise me CrazyGuy. I agree safety would be a concern.

And unless you have credentials as working media, then you're just another person in a crowd with a camera or phone. But if it's allowed to take pictures then you can, and it's a matter of how you use the photos.

Sharon
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #686757 by Sanford
Honestly, I would stand clear of any of these riots.  These idiots don't care about any sort of cause, they are out to loot.  

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadowfixer1
3 years 9 months ago #686882 by Prago
Good way to get your gear stolen.  No thank you.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #686946 by Robert Chen
Agree with Prago.  These protests/ demonstrations are so violent.  With so many people looting, they want to make sure they are not on camera, so if you have a professional looking camera, you just increase your chances for being attacked.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #687285 by Miss Polly
This guy does a good job pointing out what it's like

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #687323 by Overread
Honestly, I would stand clear of these events.  I think things will get worse before they get better.  With trials starting on those cops, the two rookies, my guess will get slaps on the hands or small sentences.  I don't think the rioters will care for this.  Plus, I think with trials moving forward, I think more of who George Floyd was, and his drug use will surface from the defense attorneys, which will try to make what happened less about cold blooded murder, to George was high on Meth, and was getting ready to drive a car, and was likely resisting arrest.  His friend fled from seen who apparently had a number of warrants out for him.  I've been seeing some things about this already, and when this hits the fan, I think the riots and such will go into overdrive.  Not a place you want to be at.

Change needs to happen, there have been some crappy things happening to people of color, this needs to stop.  But so does all this crap.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #687360 by garyrhook

Overread wrote: Honestly, I would stand clear of these events.  I think things will get worse before they get better.  With trials starting on those cops, the two rookies, my guess will get slaps on the hands or small sentences.  I don't think the rioters will care for this.

I think you mean protestors?

Protestors protest. Rioters riot. It's important to distinguish between the two.

Plus, I think with trials moving forward, I think more of who George Floyd was, and his drug use will surface from the defense attorneys, which will try to make what happened less about cold blooded murder, to George was high on Meth, and was getting ready to drive a car, and was likely resisting arrest.

Who George Floyd was is completely irrelevant to the action taken by the officers. By all appearances they had him under control. The prosecution should point out that any of those are simply attempts at misdirection.

My understanding is (and I could lack information, of course) is that he was attempting to pass a bad check? While we don't know what led up to the pig-pile (irony unattended), it's hard to imagine that this was the only course of action available to select.

His friend fled from seen who apparently had a number of warrants out for him.

Um, irrelevant?

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #687365 by J Hemingway
I see where you are going Overread, the cops were wrong, very wrong.  Defense will try, to de-credit George and any witnesses that might be called.  Gary is right, prosecution will cut this off.  It's crappy he lost his life, f' up actually.  No matter how screwed up someone is, that was wrong.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #687391 by KENT MELTON
You may find this interesting

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024