Are we there yet?

2 months 1 week ago #686601 by Zach Mosher
Are people buying more mirrorless cameras than DSLRs? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #686605 by Nikon Shooter
There are those making a living and those that are not with
their cameras.

I did see many mirrorless since years even in the hands of
serious amateurs but rarely in the hand of the general pro.
I mean the workers who have to face any situation in any
conditions and come up with results.

Sure, some mirrorless users I know are happy with their res-
pective gear but they explain… "well, I don't do this and can't
their specific interest /ambitions which are not well suppor-
ted by the mirrorless.

As I am not yet retired, I'll hang to my tools… and when I'll be,
why should I change? My sons? They do as they please.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #686614 by 7Wishes

Nikon Shooter wrote: There are those making a living and those that are not with
their cameras.

I did see many mirrorless since years even in the hands of
serious amateurs but rarely in the hand of the general pro.
I mean the workers who have to face any situation in any
conditions and come up with results.

This could simply be because the "big two" Nikon & Canon have yet to release a highend mirrorless camera equivalent to their respective DSLRs (Nikon D6 - Canon 1DX MK III) This will undoubtedly change in the next 18 to 24 months, perhaps even sooner

2 months 1 week ago #686616 by Nikon Shooter

7Wishes wrote: This could simply be because the "big two" Nikon & Canon have yet to release a highend mirrorless camera equivalent to their respective DSLRs (Nikon D6 - Canon 1DX MK III) This will undoubtedly change in the next 18 to 24 months, perhaps even sooner

These are not among my selection of high end as 

1, I would not shoot with the second
2, DR and resolution but not hight fps is what I need for my work

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #686619 by 7Wishes

Nikon Shooter wrote:

7Wishes wrote: This could simply be because the "big two" Nikon & Canon have yet to release a highend mirrorless camera equivalent to their respective DSLRs (Nikon D6 - Canon 1DX MK III) This will undoubtedly change in the next 18 to 24 months, perhaps even sooner

These are not among my selection of high end as 

1, I would not shoot with the second
2, DR and resolution but not hight fps is what I need for my work

It was a general anology, simply replace with what you consider high end. For instance some might consider a Canon EOS 5D MARK IV as high end, but it will probably be the last in the line of 5D series cameras now that Canon has embraced mirrorless technology. Will Nikon release a D860 this year, if not and it is pushed back in to quarter one or two of 2021 what relevance will it have on the camera market, more so with rumours of a Z8. Technology is moving a lot faster than it ever did in the past when we moved from film to digital. 

2 months 1 week ago #686629 by Nikon Shooter

7Wishes wrote: It was a general anology… 

I understood that. :P

I would consider a mirrorless only for court sessions or
meetings but it is not happening anymore.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #686705 by Shadowfixer1
Professionals that are not sponsored by a manufacturer don't normally change their systems like changing underwear. They use what they have until it breaks or if something comes along that allows them to do their job better/quicker. There are many that have switched over to mirrorless but the tipping point is just over the horizon with the next generation of mirrorless from Nikon and Canon in my opinion. These are the two big players as far as professional systems. Sony has made a significant leap into the market but some pros don't like the ergonomics or menus and prefer to wait on their preferred system by Nikon and Canon. We are close, but not quite there yet. 

2 months 6 days ago #686942 by fmw
Are we there yet?
Not yet.  There are still more DSLR's in use than high end mirrorless.  The mirroless system I use - Fujifilm - does have many pros but nearly as many as Nikon and Canon DSLR's.  I'm no longer pro and have no interest in carrying around all that gear.  I don't have to get every shot like a pro.  I won't go back to a DSLR.

Photo Comments

2 months 2 days ago #687383 by Zach Mosher
Just was reading a report that showed sales down 80%.  Dang, that is some serious consequences to the economy. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With this list of gifts for photographers under $250, you have tons of great holiday gift ideas for the photographer on your list!

Aug 06, 2020

photo album, photo album features, best photo album, photo album layout

Aug 05, 2020

The Canon EOS 80D is several years old, but it has some great specs and features that still make it a solid choice in 2020.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

A great way to supplement your income is to sell stock photos. The question is, how do you sell photos online? Use these tips to increase stock photography sales.

Aug 04, 2020

Our upcoming photography trek and adventure series will provide you with actionable steps you can take to improve your photography and get ready for outdoor adventures of your own.

Aug 04, 2020

Not sure how to use your camera as a webcam? Use this guide to learn how to set up a DSLR or mirrorless camera with your computer.

Aug 04, 2020

A common question beginner photographers have is, what are step up rings? Learn what they are, why they're valuable, and where you can get a next-generation step up ring.

Aug 04, 2020