Are we there yet?

3 years 10 months ago #686601 by Zach Mosher
Are people buying more mirrorless cameras than DSLRs? 

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686605 by Nikon Shooter
There are those making a living and those that are not with
their cameras.

I did see many mirrorless since years even in the hands of
serious amateurs but rarely in the hand of the general pro.
I mean the workers who have to face any situation in any
conditions and come up with results.

Sure, some mirrorless users I know are happy with their res-
pective gear but they explain… "well, I don't do this and can't
their specific interest /ambitions which are not well suppor-
ted by the mirrorless.

As I am not yet retired, I'll hang to my tools… and when I'll be,
why should I change? My sons? They do as they please.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686614 by 7Wishes

Nikon Shooter wrote: There are those making a living and those that are not with
their cameras.

I did see many mirrorless since years even in the hands of
serious amateurs but rarely in the hand of the general pro.
I mean the workers who have to face any situation in any
conditions and come up with results.

This could simply be because the "big two" Nikon & Canon have yet to release a highend mirrorless camera equivalent to their respective DSLRs (Nikon D6 - Canon 1DX MK III) This will undoubtedly change in the next 18 to 24 months, perhaps even sooner

3 years 10 months ago #686616 by Nikon Shooter

7Wishes wrote: This could simply be because the "big two" Nikon & Canon have yet to release a highend mirrorless camera equivalent to their respective DSLRs (Nikon D6 - Canon 1DX MK III) This will undoubtedly change in the next 18 to 24 months, perhaps even sooner

These are not among my selection of high end as 

1, I would not shoot with the second
2, DR and resolution but not hight fps is what I need for my work

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686619 by 7Wishes

Nikon Shooter wrote:

7Wishes wrote: This could simply be because the "big two" Nikon & Canon have yet to release a highend mirrorless camera equivalent to their respective DSLRs (Nikon D6 - Canon 1DX MK III) This will undoubtedly change in the next 18 to 24 months, perhaps even sooner

These are not among my selection of high end as 

1, I would not shoot with the second
2, DR and resolution but not hight fps is what I need for my work

It was a general anology, simply replace with what you consider high end. For instance some might consider a Canon EOS 5D MARK IV as high end, but it will probably be the last in the line of 5D series cameras now that Canon has embraced mirrorless technology. Will Nikon release a D860 this year, if not and it is pushed back in to quarter one or two of 2021 what relevance will it have on the camera market, more so with rumours of a Z8. Technology is moving a lot faster than it ever did in the past when we moved from film to digital. 

3 years 10 months ago #686629 by Nikon Shooter

7Wishes wrote: It was a general anology… 

I understood that. :P

I would consider a mirrorless only for court sessions or
meetings but it is not happening anymore.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686705 by Shadowfixer1
Professionals that are not sponsored by a manufacturer don't normally change their systems like changing underwear. They use what they have until it breaks or if something comes along that allows them to do their job better/quicker. There are many that have switched over to mirrorless but the tipping point is just over the horizon with the next generation of mirrorless from Nikon and Canon in my opinion. These are the two big players as far as professional systems. Sony has made a significant leap into the market but some pros don't like the ergonomics or menus and prefer to wait on their preferred system by Nikon and Canon. We are close, but not quite there yet. 
3 years 10 months ago #686942 by fmw
Are we there yet?
Not yet.  There are still more DSLR's in use than high end mirrorless.  The mirroless system I use - Fujifilm - does have many pros but nearly as many as Nikon and Canon DSLR's.  I'm no longer pro and have no interest in carrying around all that gear.  I don't have to get every shot like a pro.  I won't go back to a DSLR.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #687383 by Zach Mosher
Just was reading a report that showed sales down 80%.  Dang, that is some serious consequences to the economy. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024