Was asked to not take photos on Southwest flight

5 months 2 weeks ago #687934 by Tom Henry
I just fly with Southwest Airlines and as I was boarding, I took my camera out to photograph the near empty plane.  One of the employees came up to me and told me to put my camera away that no photography was allowed on their planes.  

So, are are all these photographs and video's popping up all the time on social media?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 2 weeks ago #687969 by garyrhook
When you purchase a ticket with a private carrier, you enter into a contract. That contract will have terms and conditions that should be readily accessible to you. The question is, does it limit your ability to take photographs? And/or does it include a clause that allows flight crew and/or ground crew to make up rules on the fly? (Hint on that last one: the answer is "yes".)

So whether you agreed (through your purchase) to not photograph or not, they can do what they want and you have to abide. I believe they announce that that's also due to federal regulations (for those that never listen to the departure announcements).

If you watch this:
https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/a-southwest-passenger-took-a-truly-stunning-photo-from-a-southwest-airlines-737-heres-amazing-story.html
You realize what she told you was a load of garbage. But we know what happens when you try to argue with an attendant.

Complain to SWA. Point to examples that are in direct opposition to what you were told. Ask for an apology, and education of the crew.

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #687977 by Tom Henry
Well I didn't know that.  I'll read that page when thing settle down here.  I really appreciate you chiming in here.  

5 months 2 weeks ago #687978 by garyrhook
Good luck. We'll be interested to hear how this progresses, so please come back at some point.

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #688058 by Superman
You would expect the airlines would just be happy to have business these days.  But then again, they most likely don't want photos of empty planes getting circulated.  

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #688157 by Mike McKinnon
I bet it's the later, they don't want photos of empty airplanes to scare people into thinking that others are not traveling.  Personally, I'll pass.  I have zero interest getting into an airplane right now.   

5 months 2 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #688233 by garyrhook

Mike McKinnon wrote: I bet it's the later, they don't want photos of empty airplanes to scare people into thinking that others are not traveling.  Personally, I'll pass.  I have zero interest getting into an airplane right now.   

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #688275 by Sanford
I'm the same, won't be doing any traveling till things clear up and some sort of vaccination is available.  

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #688284 by Rawley Photos
You should watch this video on how a cough is spread on a plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Em0FSsI_VU

Photo Comments

5 months 2 weeks ago #688403 by Tom Henry

Rawley Photos wrote: You should watch this video on how a cough is spread on a plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Em0FSsI_VU

That's scary bit of reality! 

5 months 2 weeks ago #688436 by Jennifer Krueger
Airlines are in trouble right now.  But that video was scary reality.  Problem airlines need to solve.  

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #688556 by Tom Henry
Still waiting on answer.  

5 months 1 week ago #688574 by Glen Martin
You could always do what this guy did a number of years back when United Airlines broke his guitar

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago #688619 by Uplander
I remember that United guy!  Didn't he donate the $$ United finally gave him to charity after he ended up making a killing from this video? 

Photo Comments

5 months 5 days ago #689238 by Vahrenkamp
Here in Hawaii, the economy has been hit very hard.  People are flying here.  Airlines are in a touch spot right now.  I see things getting worse for them, and that means more people getting touchy.  Airlines will want to try to get people on the planes.  Photos showing planes empty tell possible flyers that most are people are being careful about flying.  Society tends to stick together in flocks.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7 II might be five years old, but it still has features and specs that are well worth the price in 2020.

Nov 24, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100 might be four years old, but it still packs a punch for photographers looking for a feature-rich point-and-shoot camera.

Nov 23, 2020

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Now that Apple is making its own chips, is the Apple Mac Mini M1 worthy of your money? All signs point to yes. Get all the details in this first impression guide to the Mac Mini M1.

Dec 02, 2020

If you need gift ideas for photographers, consider a photography gift card as a prime option from one of these popular retailers.

Dec 02, 2020

The importance of a tripod cannot be understated. Even having a tripod alternative is important too. In this guide, we discuss various tripod options you need in your bag.

Dec 02, 2020

Now that Apple is using its own silicon, the question is, are their M1 laptops any good? First impressions are that they are VERY good!

Dec 01, 2020

If you're after a cheap laptop for yourself or someone on your holiday shopping list, you might consider one of these computers under $500.

Nov 25, 2020

With these family portrait tips, you'll learn a few strategies for taking much-improved Thanksgiving family portraits.

Nov 24, 2020

There are tons of Black Friday photography deals available this year. Check this list of Adorama Black Friday deals, Amazon Black Friday deals, and much more!

Nov 24, 2020

GoPros are highly capable cameras, but with these GoPro video accessories, you can turn your GoPro into an even better option for photos and videos.

Nov 24, 2020