Was asked to not take photos on Southwest flight

3 years 10 months ago #687934 by Tom Henry
I just fly with Southwest Airlines and as I was boarding, I took my camera out to photograph the near empty plane.  One of the employees came up to me and told me to put my camera away that no photography was allowed on their planes.  

So, are are all these photographs and video's popping up all the time on social media?

3 years 10 months ago #687969 by garyrhook
When you purchase a ticket with a private carrier, you enter into a contract. That contract will have terms and conditions that should be readily accessible to you. The question is, does it limit your ability to take photographs? And/or does it include a clause that allows flight crew and/or ground crew to make up rules on the fly? (Hint on that last one: the answer is "yes".)

So whether you agreed (through your purchase) to not photograph or not, they can do what they want and you have to abide. I believe they announce that that's also due to federal regulations (for those that never listen to the departure announcements).

If you watch this:
https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/a-southwest-passenger-took-a-truly-stunning-photo-from-a-southwest-airlines-737-heres-amazing-story.html
You realize what she told you was a load of garbage. But we know what happens when you try to argue with an attendant.

Complain to SWA. Point to examples that are in direct opposition to what you were told. Ask for an apology, and education of the crew.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #687977 by Tom Henry
Well I didn't know that.  I'll read that page when thing settle down here.  I really appreciate you chiming in here.  

3 years 10 months ago #687978 by garyrhook
Good luck. We'll be interested to hear how this progresses, so please come back at some point.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688058 by Superman
You would expect the airlines would just be happy to have business these days.  But then again, they most likely don't want photos of empty planes getting circulated.  

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688157 by Mike McKinnon
I bet it's the later, they don't want photos of empty airplanes to scare people into thinking that others are not traveling.  Personally, I'll pass.  I have zero interest getting into an airplane right now.   

3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #688233 by garyrhook

Mike McKinnon wrote: I bet it's the later, they don't want photos of empty airplanes to scare people into thinking that others are not traveling.  Personally, I'll pass.  I have zero interest getting into an airplane right now.   

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688275 by Sanford
I'm the same, won't be doing any traveling till things clear up and some sort of vaccination is available.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688284 by Rawley Photos
You should watch this video on how a cough is spread on a plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Em0FSsI_VU

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688403 by Tom Henry

Rawley Photos wrote: You should watch this video on how a cough is spread on a plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Em0FSsI_VU

That's scary bit of reality! 

3 years 9 months ago #688436 by Jennifer Krueger
Airlines are in trouble right now.  But that video was scary reality.  Problem airlines need to solve.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #688556 by Tom Henry
Still waiting on answer.  

3 years 9 months ago #688574 by Glen Martin
You could always do what this guy did a number of years back when United Airlines broke his guitar

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #688619 by Uplander
I remember that United guy!  Didn't he donate the $$ United finally gave him to charity after he ended up making a killing from this video? 

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689238 by Vahrenkamp
Here in Hawaii, the economy has been hit very hard.  People are flying here.  Airlines are in a touch spot right now.  I see things getting worse for them, and that means more people getting touchy.  Airlines will want to try to get people on the planes.  Photos showing planes empty tell possible flyers that most are people are being careful about flying.  Society tends to stick together in flocks.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024