Firing a camera flash at a bear at night?

3 years 10 months ago #688253 by Travis Brunson
Potentially dumb question.  We are going camping in 2 weeks for the July 4th weekend.  There are 6 of us going and 4 of which are photographers.  

OK, the subject of wild animals and bears being in the area where we will be camping.  One photographer who was serious said he would use his flash to scare the bear.  Now I might be wrong, but won't this just piss off the bear?  

3 years 10 months ago #688255 by Nikon Shooter
All bears are unpredictable, strong, and fast… and that
should suffice to bring up the right instinct in you.

For safety, couple of loud, small horns like those used in
stadiums as the noise will scare anything. Firecrackers
were used successfully… but dangerous in the wild.

For photo, IR traps and sensors is the better way to go
safety wises but the pictures are not the same. An alter-
native is a movement detector with flash triggers — far,
far away from the camp of course.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688256 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

… if a bear is blinded by flashes, it sees nowhere to go.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688269 by Shadowfixer1
No idea. Let us know how well it works. If we don't hear from you, we have our answer. :rofl:
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #688313 by CharleyL
When hiking in bear country, I always made it a requirement to stay overnight in shelters, either completely closed in or with chain link fencing across the open side. Sometimes there was very little remaining space for me inside with everyone when I got there. Others arriving later had to spend the night in their tents just outside the shelter. On one of these nights, a bear came calling at about 3 AM. Those inside and near the fence started yelling and clanging pots against the fence. When the bear decided to run, he turned and ran right over the top of 2 guys who were in a dark blue/black tent. I guess he couldn't see it in the dark either. The guys were mad, thinking that we had done it to them, but then decided that it really had been a bear. For me, I was too far back in the shelter to even see what had happened, until the flashlights were all coming on.  

On another trip, in a similar shelter and situation, the shelter was dug into the side of a steep hill, so the back side of the shelter roof almost reached the ground. The trail came down the hill behind and then around the shelter. In the middle of the night we heard heavy foot steps coming down the trail fast and getting closer, but when the bear reached the shelter he went up over the roof and off the open high side of the shelter, and kept going down the trail. I guess he wasn't interested in us at all. 

I have seen the damage caused to hiker's equipment due to bears, but never saw anyone injured by them, and I hiked many trails in bear country through my younger years. Bears tend to stay away from people for the most part, unless they have discovered that people have great food with them. Don't feed them willingly, and if you can avoid it. Be very wary of females with cubs. They can become very aggressive when they think they need to protect the cubs. I guess I made too much noise as I walked down the trails, because I never met a bear in the daylight that didn't run away as soon as we saw each other. I have no idea what a bear would do if you fired a flash at them, but loud and unusual noises, like shouting, horns, and clanging pots does work. If a bear decides that he wants something, let him have it and get as far away and as fast as possible. You can recover the remains when he is finished with it.

Skunks don't see very well and are only out at night. Don't scare them, but noises will keep them away. I stayed perfectly still one night when one, and I, discovered that we were way too close to each other, and he walked right up to me and sniffed my boot, then walked away. Raccoons are sneaky thieves and will get into your food if they think they can get away with the robbery. Metal tins are the only thing that will protect your food, or keeping it very close to you, if they should decide to try to steal it. Chipmunks frequently joined me for breakfast, but they are cute and not aggressive at all. They are quite timid at first, but a small hand-out, like scrambled eggs, makes them get very brave quickly. A chipmunk can hold 5 peanuts in his mouth, two in each cheek and one straight in. Then they leave to take the booty home, but return quickly for more. I had one sitting on my knee and waiting for more egg in about ten minutes one morning. 

Charley

3 years 10 months ago #688416 by Rick Larin
Go out with bear pepper spray and an air horn

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #688427 by Ontherocks
Seriously?   If a bear is coming why blind it?  Use an airhorn and as already mentioned bear spray. 

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #688470 by CharleyL
You might want to read this sign.

Charley

3 years 10 months ago #688480 by CharleyL
Sorry it isn't the best quality (not my photo).

Charley

Attachments:
3 years 10 months ago #688484 by CharleyL
A better Quality photo.

Attachments:
3 years 10 months ago #688557 by Ian Stone
City boy asking a potentially silly question:  is there a species of bears that are more aggressive to humans than others?

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #688604 by CharleyL

Ian Stone wrote: City boy asking a potentially silly question:  is there a species of bears that are more aggressive to humans than others?

Read the last few lines in the sign photo. Actually, you should read the whole sign.

Charley

3 years 9 months ago #688636 by Ian Stone

CharleyL wrote:

Ian Stone wrote: City boy asking a potentially silly question:  is there a species of bears that are more aggressive to humans than others?

Read the last few lines in the sign photo. Actually, you should read the whole sign.

Charley

Thank you, missed that.  :) 

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #688870 by Dan Lindgren
That's why it's good to have air horn with you when hiking or camping.  We ran into a bear at our camp site 2 years ago.  Air horn scared the @#$% out of the bear.  Who then went running off. 

3 years 9 months ago #688894 by Dan Lindgren
BTW Amazon sells both the bear spray and air horns.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024