Keeping camera gear in overland trailer across country?

3 years 9 months ago #689128 by Zach Mosher
Hey so quick question for you guys.

I have a Toyota FJ, can that tow one of those sort of trailers?  Also I have a bike rack that plugs into my tow hitch.  If you have a trailer plugged into the back of your truck, how can you carry your bikes?  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689141 by EOS_Fan
Depends on the weight of the trailer.  What size wheels are you running?

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689156 by Stacy Craig
Those tear drop trailers are so cute!  I wouldn't leave my gear in it though.  To hot and it could tip over from hitting a bump.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689195 by Flash Steven
Seeing that this thread has gone in a completely different direction than it started already, where are you guys finding your overland trails?  Any decent iPhone app you can suggest?

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689209 by Scott Klubeck
Oh man, we camp all the time when we hit the sand dunes.  In my camper we have everything bungee down.  But I will never carry anything of value, things just bounce all over the place.  Especially if you are driving spiritedly.  Make sure you get an off-road free moving hitch.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689220 by Ira Weber
Each summer we spend nearly 6 weeks overlanding.  All sensitive electronics always go in the SUV.

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689237 by Tim Dordeck

CharleyL wrote: Is the trailer insulated? Does it have shocks? I would much rather keep cameras and lenses in the insulated/air conditioned vehicle and put something else of less value in the trailer. One of the first things that I did when I bought my enclosed cargo trailer was to insulate and panel the inside walls and ceiling with foam board and plywood and I modified the axle and added shocks. A spare tire mount and spare tire was also added just behind the hitch, with a cable and lock to secure it.
I also make certain to ventilate the trailer when traveling in the warmer climates, but I still would not put my camera and lenses in the trailer when traveling. Other photo gear maybe, but not my cameras or lenses.

Charley

Did you build this or buy a bare trailer and build from there?

I came close to pulling trigger on a Schutt trailer, but had concerns about their axles.  A buddy of mine told me that I really need to pay attention to the suspension in these things.  Which does make sense, I'm not mechanically inclined, so if something goes wrong, I'm screwed.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689300 by Richard K Photography

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Cory

As someone who lives on the road for most of every year (except this one!!) I would suggest -in the vehicle- before -in the caravan- ... as the towing vehicle is better stabilised than the caravan

The biggest caveat would be secure storage, as regrettably we all know of cases where theft has occurred

ps- for us, we're in a motorhome rather than a caravan and overall it provides us with much better all-round accommodation, storage and security. We've had our vehicle now for 16 yrs and it's coming up to 500,000km sometime soon - now next year rather than this year for obvious reasons

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Ha!  I watch a lot of 4WD YouTube channels, and so many are from your neck of the world!  You all have some very dense off road trails over there.   How often are you getting out?

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689448 by Ozzie_Traveller

Richard K Photography wrote: Ha!  I watch a lot of 4WD YouTube channels, and so many are from your neck of the world!  You all have some very dense off road trails over there.   How often are you getting out?

G'day Richard

While there are many YouTube + other sources videos on "outback and wacky" exploits from equally wacky people - it is all outside my area of travel (and interest)

While we are on the road in the motorhome each year - generally covering from 20,000 to 25,000 kilometres, 75% of this is sealed roads leaving about 5,000 ~ 7000 Km of dirt roads

Such roads vary a lot in construction and safe road speeds.  Here's one from last year's travels.  Quite safe for 80 to 100km/h travels, but we do regrettably have city-based idiots who want to do 130-140km/h speeds and quite soon come to grief, leaving locals and the Flying Doctor to pick up the pieces

a) The Oodnadatta Track - north towards Alice Springs some 700km away
img\def

b) and you can see 'em coming for miles away - as the saying goes
img\def

3 years 9 months ago #689457 by Farestad
Completely jealous of you all.  The only offroad vehicle in my garage is a 2 door Jeep Wrangler, which I don't believe could tow much of anything.  I was just telling my wife a few weeks ago, I would like to move to a Toyota Tacoma and possibly get a camper for the back.  Who knows, might look at making a trailer or buying one.  Well I don't think I'll make one, I don't have the time and would rather spend my free time out shooting.  

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689481 by CharleyL
"Did you build this or buy a bare trailer and build from there?"

My trailer is a 6 X 12' box trailer made by Pace with a drop down ramp tailgate on the back. It was bought from Home Depot in North Los Angeles over the phone by credit card, so my youngest son could move his belongings back home to NC when he became disabled and could no longer work.

I later installed foam insulation board between the ribs and tie down strips at two levels down both sides. I can secure and move most anything that will fit in it, and do it safely.

Right now it has two wide format printers in it, waiting for me to make space in my studio for one. The other will likely keep me in spares for a while, or I may sell it instead.

Charley

3 years 9 months ago #689511 by Travis Brunson
I thought you transformed the trailer into a mobile off road studio :beerbang:

Is it something you can sleep in?

3 years 9 months ago #689564 by Sawyer
On road it would be fine if the temp wasn’t to hot.  If going off-road, that will get tossed all over the place. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689601 by CharleyL
I wouldn't take my Pace trailer off road, or at least not very far off road. I usually pull it with my Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd and 5 litre engine, but sometimes pull it with my 96 Dodge Dakota 2 litre 2wd. The WWII movies show military Jeeps pulling utility type trailers quite often, and over some pretty rough terrain, so I would think that a newer model Jeep would do well pulling a tear drop or similar sized trailer, even somewhat off road, as long as the trailer gross weight was 1,600 lbs or less. 

I still would never carry expensive electronics, cameras, or lenses in a trailer. They just bounce around too much and have no climate control. Even if insulated, with no climate control system, they can get quite hot or cold. The advantage of insulation is that it retards this climate change, kind of averaging it out over a 24 hour period and removing the peak hots and colds.

Charley

3 years 9 months ago #689627 by Nathan D
I'm jealous, I would love to get off grid! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024