Good knife to carry in my camera bag when in nature?

3 years 9 months ago #689830 by Superman
I'm not sure what section of the site to post this, so I'll post this question.  

When you are heading out in the wild, do you carry a knife in your camera bag?  If so, which one?  

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689832 by Shadowfixer1
I don't know if you are referring to a hunting knife or something else. A "leatherman" would be good to carry but I don't have one. I always carry a knife with me in my pocket. The only time I don't is on an airplane, at a sporting event or concert where they scan you for weapons. I always carry a Swiss Army "Super Tinker". I feel naked without it. 
3 years 9 months ago #689833 by Nikon Shooter
I got the Leatherman's Wave.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689835 by Superman
I'm looking at their different knifes.  Very nice.  Now will you carry something larger for protection against animals? 

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689837 by OBY23
I am one of those people who always has a knife of some sort around.  However for protection against animals I would suggest bear spray.  It might work and hopefully you will not need to try it.  I always have a leatherman wave buried somewhere as well.  If you do want a larger sheath knife, there are tons of excellent ones out there.  Check out Kbar, Buck, AG Russel, Anza Neat knives made from files). 
Sorry for the long winded reply  
Steve

3 years 9 months ago #689839 by Nikon Shooter
Crocodile Dundee style? Really?

:rofl:

When it comes to wildlife, a powerful whistle is better
and safer than a blade, me think.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689842 by OBY23
Absolutely on the whistle. Should have one with you at all times.

3 years 9 months ago #689848 by CharleyL
I carry a Leatherman Wave as well, and don't leave home without it, but it's on my belt and not in the camera bag. Things around me always seem to need fixing, adjusting, or cutting and the Leatherman has proved it's worth in these situations. I think it gets used for other things much more often than camera gear. Never needed it for defense though.

In the forest, something loud and unusual like whistle or air horn is all that is necessary, but it's very rare that you would even need it. It's actually quite hard to walk quietly enough in the forest so that animals don't hear you coming. When they do hear you, they usually leave the area and you don't need the whistle or air horn. But it could offer some help if you should get separated, injured, or off the trail, to help others find you. I think I carried a whistle over most of the trails in the NE USA in my younger hiking days. I only used it a couple of times and it was to get someone else's attention when they were too far away to hear my voice. I never needed it for anything else. Cheap and light insurance though.

Charley

3 years 9 months ago #689856 by Foggy
I have a Benchmade and really like it

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689980 by Sharna Lee
My husband was just talking about why I should have a knife with me at all times.  He just ordered one and it arrives on Friday.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690081 by ShutterGuy
Leatherman are the BEST.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690082 by ShutterGuy

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690199 by 2guns
I like the Sog multi tool which is similar to the leatherman. Gets a lot of use. As for protection I prefer the 10 mm. Don’t leave home without it. 

3 years 9 months ago #690200 by John Landolfi
+1 on theSOG. a much better pliers, and a set of driver bits that is really useful. For general camp use, a Fox folder, which has a very sturdy blade

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690378 by Jackson Rieger
Tops make some very nice knifes.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024