Client wants exclusivity on one of my photos, help with pricing please

3 years 9 months ago #690280 by Kenya See
I have a landscape photo that a client wants to buy it as a print, but also wants to buy the rights to this being the only one of this photo sold or printed.  

I'm not even sure how to price something like this out. 

Can you suggest something please?

Thank you

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690287 by icepics
A print, and exclusive rights?? That doesn't make sense to me. What does the client want to do with it? A print would be framed and hung on the wall, why is there a request for exclusive use?

Usually photographers only do this with a client for commercial use such as advertising/marketing, etc. And the cost is quite high because the photographer will no longer have use of the photo (so basically it would no longer be yours to use).

ASMP and PPA both have links to the same pricing guide. That could be a starting point, but you'd need to learn more about pricing for exclusive use. I would just sell a print of a landscape, not exclusive rights. 

Sharon
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690426 by Overread
:agree:   are they looking to use the shot for advertising of some sort?

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690476 by Kenya See

icepics wrote: A print, and exclusive rights?? That doesn't make sense to me. What does the client want to do with it? A print would be framed and hung on the wall, why is there a request for exclusive use?

Usually photographers only do this with a client for commercial use such as advertising/marketing, etc. And the cost is quite high because the photographer will no longer have use of the photo (so basically it would no longer be yours to use).

ASMP and PPA both have links to the same pricing guide. That could be a starting point, but you'd need to learn more about pricing for exclusive use. I would just sell a print of a landscape, not exclusive rights. 

He just wants to have peace of mind that the print he has is the only one in existence.  He's an art collector and likes original works. 

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690499 by garyrhook

Kenya See wrote: He just wants to have peace of mind that the print he has is the only one in existence.  He's an art collector and likes original works. 

Which seemed the point, from your OP, at least to me.

Questions:
  1. How much does (or should) a unique piece from an (unknown?) artist command?
  2. How much money do you realistically think you can make from that image, in total?
I'd probably think in terms of seeing original paintings at art shows. At least several hundred dollars, right? Or, in the case of some artists, a few thousand.

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690606 by ThatNikonGuy

garyrhook wrote:

Kenya See wrote: He just wants to have peace of mind that the print he has is the only one in existence.  He's an art collector and likes original works. 

Which seemed the point, from your OP, at least to me.

Questions:
  1. How much does (or should) a unique piece from an (unknown?) artist command?
  2. How much money do you realistically think you can make from that image, in total?
I'd probably think in terms of seeing original paintings at art shows. At least several hundred dollars, right? Or, in the case of some artists, a few thousand.

Well, unless your name is Peter Lik, then millions!  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690704 by icepics
This is not standard practice. If the supposed collector really collects photographs he/she should know that (or maybe does and is trying to find a photographer who hasn't sold art prints and doesn't know how photos are typically priced and sold). Red flags on this.

I've done submissions to juried exhibits, and have been to art exhibits and openings. A photographer may sell a limited edition of prints that are numbered. The #1/___ (number of total prints) print may have more value or be priced higher than #2/___ #3/___, etc. - the more limited the edition the higher the pricing.

I've seen prints by locally/regionally known photographers go from $1000-5000+. Most by the average art photographer are priced at least $200-500. It would vary depending on your area. That is for one print, no digital file and certainly no exclusivity.

If you do this you will be giving this person the original file and you may never use the photo again. Think about that.

Try ASMP, their site has info. on art photography but some may be only available to members. Or try PPA.

Sharon
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690937 by Patrick G
I would charge 5x what you normally charge.   

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #690962 by saponcpa
I know that this is a very hardworking job. However, the question is Client satisfaction.  Exclusivity is creative work and I am also are a creative Graphics designer. 

In that case how much time you will do complete work, if one hour then price 100$, If it's difficult and 2-4 hour work, then you charge 500$

Thank you.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024