Why are Leicas so much??

3 years 8 months ago #691145 by Ivy Winchell
I was just reading about the new the new 40MP Leica M10R that is selling for $8300.  I don't mean to sound ignorant, but how is this camera can sell for so much?  I seriously don't get it.  It looks plan and the specs don't seem mind blowing.  I get that brand name comes into the equation at some point.  But $8300?  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691148 by Nikon Shooter

Ivy Winchell wrote: I don't mean to sound ignorant…  

But you do, just like me and many of us.

True is the brand has a standing that its buyers swear by. I can recognise
quality when I see it but I believe that pride of ownership or fetishism as
something to do with it.

The same goes for Mont-Blanc, Breitling, etc.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691197 by Ivy Winchell
Yep, honestly for me, I can't justify spending that much for just brand recognition.  So many things you can buy with that money.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691207 by Nikon Shooter

Ivy Winchell wrote: I can't justify spending that much

Ivy, I will reveal something crucial in this matter, ready?

You and I are not having the kind of means that some have!
I love to look at a Bentley but, given one, I would sell it cause
I just don't need it to spell happiness in my life.

I have a divorce behind me based on that. She had built a ve-
ry expensive house for her happiness but the kids and I did
not need a castle but a normal HOME to live, to grow, and be
happy in with each other. Now, she is alone in her castle and
we live together in an old, charming farm house.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691212 by saponcpa
Leica Camera is manufactured by German. Leicas is so much expensive. Its Resolution and camera raw are too good. My older friend recently buys Leicas brand camera and he expense lots of money on this. He is a professional cameraman. However, If you decide you buy Leicas, please buy it. 

3 years 8 months ago #691222 by fmw
The main reason they are so expensive is low sales volume making unit production costs high.  Great workmanship for sure and priced for those well heeled people who confuse price with performance but mostly low sales volume.  I was a Leica collector once back in the film days.  I had every version of the M cameras and some of the III cameras as well.  Fine cameras that work as well as any high quality camera.  I never used a Leica for a pro shoot.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691296 by James F
One word:  Leica 

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691410 by Toby J
The same reasons Apple computers are.  It's fan tax.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691504 by Eliffman
Apple Tax :rofl:   I know that far to well these days!  I had to drop $4400 on a new laptop that so far sucks @#$%s.  Apple needs to get their head out of their @$$ and put decent video cards in these things.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691575 by Carry
Fluff, all fluff if you ask me.  I never bought into (literally) the Leica and Hasselblad Koolaid.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691669 by Zach Mosher
Crazy well built cameras that have charged top premium for a very long time.  This company has a very loyal group of buyers and attracts new buyers who want to be part of that community of owners.   Personally, I find other things more rewarding to purchase.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691806 by Ian Stone
Why is anything that is expensive expensive?  People are willing to pay $$ for it.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #692021 by Moossmann
It's the I don't care product tax

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024