Do you remember which photo got you hooked?

3 years 8 months ago #692892 by Randy Shaw
Honestly I'm sitting here off work (have been for months) and just thinking about what I'm going to do this weekend and this got me thinking about my journey through photography.  I had some friends who were getting married a number of years ago and they didn't have money to hire a photographer, so I had offered to take some photos because I had a "professional camera".  Honestly I had no idea what the hell I was doing.  But I did my best.  One of the shots I took, they ended up framing and I honestly was so proud of this shot.  I remember when I took that shot, I knew, that was the point that got me hooked.  Prior to this, I had been just doing what ever with photography.  After that, and seeing the emotion and how much that photo meant to them.  That was awesome and the point I got hooked. 

Do you remember your first shot that made such an impact to you?  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693020 by Moe
My dad was a photographer, so I was always surrounded by it. I honestly can’t recall my favorite photo that I ever took that got me hooked

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693026 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

I can't recall any 'Eureka' moments that kicked me off - but I do remember many years ago in early secondary school art classes - where the teacher ridiculed my efforts in front of the class and I knew full well that using the camera, my creative efforts came up as winners

I soon blossomed into camera club activities and had plenty of certificates and 'gongs' from winning or getting well placed in those competitions

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #693027 by Nikon Shooter
It was not a photo but a teacher.

I had a fair handwriting, a very good eye-hand coordination,
and great abilities with tools… all tools. Except for tool to draw
or sketch with. In art classes, I was great — teachers said — at
composing scenes, reproducing perspectives, and relative vo-
lumes but something held me back when it was to make sense
and beauty of it all.

I found an Instamatic 126 camera on a back seat of a city bus
with 2 of 24 frames used inside. I played with it, filled it up but
I could not pay to have the film develop — a friend did as a
birthday gift.

When the art teacher saw the pictures, she paused and said:
"Great story telling!" But this was not a expression I have ever
heard in art classes! She replied:

"Some are gardeners and others are hunters, you are a hunter."
I always loved images and art in general but was sorry I had not
much of the necessary talents… but then I knew I had an other
talent: image hunting.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693070 by CharleyL
I had several Kodak "Brownie" box cameras from about the age of 8, and I got quite good at taking photos with them, at least to the point that 8 or 9 of the 12 on the roll were acceptable. Then, when in the 11th grade, one of my teachers was responsible for taking sports and group photos to add to the yearbook and used the school's Graflex camera for them. I guess I showed some interest in the camera, and he had seen some of my photos, so he asked me if I wanted to take some of the photos for him of the school functions. On my first night with the Graflex camera, I shot about 20 at a basketball game, and he was impressed with them. So from then on for my last two years of high school, when not in a class I lugged that big heavy camera, a bag of flash bulbs, and a case full of loaded film cartridges around to many of the sporting events and group meetings. Many of the photos that I took became part of the yearbooks for those years.

Charley

3 years 8 months ago #693093 by Scuba Mike
Yep, it was a photo of an ex from college.   Partial nude shot and the shadows and light I found so incredible.  Honestly speaking, my portrait shots sucked.  Today I prefer landscapes by far.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693210 by Pete Franko
Scuba Mike, I'm with you as well!  Actually mine was my girl friend who would later turn into my wife!  Not a nude.  Just a portrait of her in front of a waterfall during a camping trip we went on. ha ha ha small world.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693227 by Ian Stone
It wasn't really just ONE shot that hooked me, it was many spread over time that kind of did it for me.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693240 by Rudy Sosa
Yeah, same here.  Not a one and be done shot that did me in.  It was a series of years and just loving photography period. 

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693248 by Cara Wilkins
Nope, can't say I can recall.  I'm 3rd generation photographer.  So I have been taking photos for a very long time.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693346 by peterock33
There wasn't really any particular photo that hooked me.  My father was a great photography enthusiast and every once in a while he would let me take a shot with his Voightlander (completely manual with no light meter).   What really hooked me was the fact that with just one click, you could freeze a moment in time and after developing and printing, you could view that saved moment.  That's what got me hooked.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693349 by Moossmann
What's funny, is the first time I picked up a camera, I thought it was kind of lame.  It wasn't for another 10 years or so that I actually picked up a camera and just found myself totally hooked.  And it wasn't a particular photo either.  I just loved taking photos and as Peter said, freezing moments. 

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697054 by db3348
Wasn’t any of my own photos that “ hooked ”  me  per se , but  a constant barrage of “exposure” (pardon pun)  to works of good (some well-known) other photographers , in books, magazines, advertising posters .                          
The likes of (google if you don’t know them) :  Pete Turner , Ernst Haas ,  Pedro Luis Raota , Jerry Uelsmann ,  Peter Dombrovskis ,  Henri Cartier-Bresson , Ansel Adams ,  Ken Duncan , Peter Eastway , just a small selection ,  that have all contributed to my on-going passion for photography .
This is probably as good a means as any  of  getting inspiration  for shooting  your own images .  

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697128 by Prago
It was actually my aunt who got me hooked… She gave me a camera for my 11th birthday.

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697139 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day DB

good to see you referencing multiple Aussie photographers in your list ~ well done

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024