Getting moisture to show up in food photography

3 months 1 week ago #693220 by David Dettman
I'm just farting around with random food photography today.  Not a job, but just playing around.  I have the compositions looking good, but the food doesn't look tasty.  I just realized while looking at some food ads, that my food doesn't look moist.  

What is the best way to make food look moist in the photos?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 1 week ago #693223 by Nikon Shooter
It's all in the brush!

Egg white sometime with sugar, food oil, unevenly applied
with a variety of brushes. ask a cook for his best tricks box.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #693228 by garyrhook
There's a google for that.

Most of what ends up in food photography isn't edible. So you want to get on the web and search for tips from food photographers, because they are the ones that know how to create the images that appeal to people.

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #693347 by peterock33
I remember reading an article in one of the old monthly Peterson's Photo Magazine back in the early 80's by a food photographer.  I don't recall the name, but he had a few pictures displayed and I remember one shot of a delicious looking turkey dinner plate with steaming turkey meat and potatoes plus all the trimmings.  He said to get that "moist" look, he always first sprayed the food with a water and dish soap solution.  It really did look fantastic, but as mentioned above, it ended up being inedible.  I always wanted to give it a try.  Maybe I finally will now.

Photo Comments

3 months 1 week ago #693388 by Jinesh
Hello everyone,,
My major concern is that I don’t want to damage my camera from the steam and moisture that will come up during cooking over a stove. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to avoid that?I saw somewhere that there is a mirror trick where you can install a 45 degree angled mirror above your work space and shoot just the mirror, but I don’t think the wife or I want to have a giant mirror hanging from a ceiling in our home (because safety, cost, and aesthetics).Is there any special equipment one uses, or specific technique you can employ to get the best overhead cooking videos while keeping your camera steam/moisture free?

3 months 1 week ago #693405 by Naheed
Some tricks used in food photography are: For having a juicy look to meat, vegetable oil is used. Dish soap is applied for longer-lasting foam in fizzy drinks. Corn syrup helps in making an ice cream that doesn't melt.

3 months 1 week ago #693523 by Jinesh

Jinesh wrote: Hello everyone,,
My major concern is that I don’t want to damage my camera from the steam and moisture that will come up during cooking over a stove. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to avoid that?I saw somewhere that there is a mirror trick where you can install a 45 degree angled mirror above your work space and shoot just the mirror speedtest.vet/ , but I don’t think the wife or I want to have a giant mirror hanging from a ceiling in our home (because safety, cost, and aesthetics).Is there any special equipment one uses, or specific technique you can employ to get the best overhead cooking videos while keeping your camera steam/moisture free?

Intersting, I didn't know that was a feature to look out for. I am planning on investing in a Canon Rebel T6i, but from the looks of this it lacks weather sealing :(

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020

In this Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 review, we'll look at the specs, features, build quality, price and more of this affordable camera for vloggers.

Nov 11, 2020

Is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV the right camera for you? Or should you opt for the cheaper Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III? Find out in this review!

Nov 09, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Learning how to use a slider should begin with some basic slider techniques. Get some tips, tricks, and insights on simple slider shots in this quick tutorial.

Nov 23, 2020

Acrylic prints can be a beautiful addition to your home. But if you've never bought one, you probably have acrylic print questions. Get the answers you need in this buyer's guide.

Nov 20, 2020

To stabilize a camera doesn't always mean having a tripod. Instead, there are many tripod alternatives and makeshift tripods you can use to stabilize your camera.

Nov 20, 2020

What is focal length? How does it differ from effective focal length? In this tutorial, we'll shed light on the differences between the two.

Nov 17, 2020

These underused Photoshop tools can help you unlock your creativity and create more impactful images.

Nov 17, 2020

Search no more for the best laptops for photographers under $1000. This list includes five of the top picks based on specs, features, and price.

Nov 16, 2020

"I'm going to use ND filters" is one thing. Knowing which ND filter you need is another. In this guide, we'll compare and contrast common types of ND filters.

Nov 16, 2020

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020