Getting moisture to show up in food photography

3 years 8 months ago #693220 by David Dettman
I'm just farting around with random food photography today.  Not a job, but just playing around.  I have the compositions looking good, but the food doesn't look tasty.  I just realized while looking at some food ads, that my food doesn't look moist.  

What is the best way to make food look moist in the photos?

3 years 8 months ago #693223 by Nikon Shooter
It's all in the brush!

Egg white sometime with sugar, food oil, unevenly applied
with a variety of brushes. ask a cook for his best tricks box.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693228 by garyrhook
There's a google for that.

Most of what ends up in food photography isn't edible. So you want to get on the web and search for tips from food photographers, because they are the ones that know how to create the images that appeal to people.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693347 by peterock33
I remember reading an article in one of the old monthly Peterson's Photo Magazine back in the early 80's by a food photographer.  I don't recall the name, but he had a few pictures displayed and I remember one shot of a delicious looking turkey dinner plate with steaming turkey meat and potatoes plus all the trimmings.  He said to get that "moist" look, he always first sprayed the food with a water and dish soap solution.  It really did look fantastic, but as mentioned above, it ended up being inedible.  I always wanted to give it a try.  Maybe I finally will now.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693388 by Jinesh
Hello everyone,,
My major concern is that I don’t want to damage my camera from the steam and moisture that will come up during cooking over a stove. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to avoid that?I saw somewhere that there is a mirror trick where you can install a 45 degree angled mirror above your work space and shoot just the mirror, but I don’t think the wife or I want to have a giant mirror hanging from a ceiling in our home (because safety, cost, and aesthetics).Is there any special equipment one uses, or specific technique you can employ to get the best overhead cooking videos while keeping your camera steam/moisture free?

3 years 8 months ago #693405 by Naheed
Some tricks used in food photography are: For having a juicy look to meat, vegetable oil is used. Dish soap is applied for longer-lasting foam in fizzy drinks. Corn syrup helps in making an ice cream that doesn't melt.

3 years 8 months ago #693523 by Jinesh

Jinesh wrote: Hello everyone,,
My major concern is that I don’t want to damage my camera from the steam and moisture that will come up during cooking over a stove. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to avoid that?I saw somewhere that there is a mirror trick where you can install a 45 degree angled mirror above your work space and shoot just the mirror speedtest.vet/ , but I don’t think the wife or I want to have a giant mirror hanging from a ceiling in our home (because safety, cost, and aesthetics).Is there any special equipment one uses, or specific technique you can employ to get the best overhead cooking videos while keeping your camera steam/moisture free?

Intersting, I didn't know that was a feature to look out for. I am planning on investing in a Canon Rebel T6i, but from the looks of this it lacks weather sealing :(

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024