Video - Reliable mobile internet solution for DSLR live broadcasting a wedding?

3 years 8 months ago #693376 by haring
I am going to shoot a wedding. There will be activities where there will be no wifi.

Question: how can i provide myself reliable high speed wifi for broadcasting the wedding via youtube?

I usually use OBS installed on my laptop and feed video from my Canon camera into my laptop. I feed sound through wireless microphone into the laptop. OBS does the rest.

I would like to use a DSLR or mirrorless mounted on the top of a monopod or tripod. I would like to move it around as people move around.

Any advice? How should I do it?

Thanks so much!

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693392 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Otto

Not my area of expertise - don't need anything like OBS but ...
Q- would a USB modem using a 2nd comms channel be able to carry the extra load?

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 8 months ago #693419 by haring
Good morning Ozzie,

Hmmm, not sure what kind of USB modem you are thinking of. Do you have a link? Thanks so much! I appreciate your help!

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693504 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Otto

Two things here -
a) the 4G-USB modems we have across Oz are cigarette-lighter sized devices, costing under $us40 and connected to any of the major comms providers, and
b) what I am pondering is whether 2 data streams - your current one plus the second one can transmit the large volume of data that you are wanting to work with concurrently

Many unknowns to me as it is all outside my area of experience

3 years 8 months ago #694358 by haring
I tried to do this last weekend. The signal didn't support upstream at all. I had one of the fastest data plan in the USA. It may work for some but didn't work for me. WiFi signal was able to support live stream but not the phone data plan.

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #694406 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Otto

Ah well matey ... as the actress said to the bishop 'you won't know if it works until you try it'

3 years 7 months ago #694562 by CharleyL
A good test for your cell phone internet speed is to get a copy of "Speedtest" by Ookla and install it on your cell phone. A copy is available for PCs as well as the one for cell phones. Then go to where you want to shoot and upload through the cell phone and run the test. It will find the fastest server and then test both the download as well as the upload speeds and give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. I've tried many other speed measuring programs and found this one to be the best and easiest to use.

Running Speedtest here in my studio just now, I get about 98 Mips down and 11 Mips up, which is pretty good for a 4K cell phone system. 5k isn't available for me yet, but should be significantly better than this. 

My cable internet through my LAN to my laptop is running about 200 Mips down and 12 Mips up.

The "up" speed will be the most important for your need, and this isn't likely to be better than what I'm getting. It will likely be quite a bit worse as you get farther away from the nearest cell phone tower. I can almost see the tower that serves me here (when the tree leaves have fallen) and it's about 0.6 miles away. All I can say is to go out and try taking the measurements. Then try a rehearsal of what you intend to do and see if the upload speed is adequate. I've never tried using my cell phone for a live uplink. They didn't design the internet with a high uplink speed as they expected most needs would be downlink.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024