What's your archive strategy for old files?

3 years 7 months ago #695947 by Scuba Mike
I'd like to hear what others are doing with your older photo and video files.  My new computer has a 1TB hard drive and already after about 5 months of owning this, my hard drive is nearly full  and only has 26GB of space left.  I need to figure out something here.   

So far my research as found these options:

1. Get external hard drives that I plug into USB-C when I want to back things up  $$
2. Larger RAID setup $$$$
3. Dropbox $
4. Google $

Am I missing anything?  Seems like option #1 could turn into $$$ after awhile of having to buy more drives as you keep filing things up. 

What are you doing?

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #695974 by Nikon Shooter
Hey Mike. this is my set up:

1 TB SSD on board with only system and working files.

One 4 TB where only shoots resides, a 2 TB for all other docs
a 4 TB for music and other media… all Thunderbolt 3.

All backed up to a 12TB NAS / Raid 5 modular unit (QNAP).

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: marmathsen
3 years 7 months ago #695975 by Scuba Mike
Just to confirm, your 4TB and 2TB, these are small credit card size drives?

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #695977 by Nikon Shooter
They are of the size that fit in a MacBook pro
laptop but each in a casing of its own.

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #695980 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Mike

My approach is "similar but different" from NS's approach

As I shoot in JPG mode, my storage requirements are not as huge as those shooting in RAW then saving to JPG

My laptop has a 1TB drive partitioned 50/50% for images vs documents
I have 2x 500Gb drives (1x from the laptop before the HDD upsize) which receive mirrored-copies from each of the 2x above partitions
I also have a 3rd 500Gb drive holding the 'most important stuff' that is stored off-site

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 7 months ago #695987 by Nikon Shooter

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: my storage requirements are not as huge as those shooting in RAW then saving to JPG

I only save full res jpgs when they were work through
a pixel editor. RAWs that were developed and didn't
need to will be published as low res jpegs and these
are never kept… just saying.

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696584 by marmathsen

Nikon Shooter wrote: Hey Mike. this is my set up:

1 TB SSD on board with only system and working files.

One 4 TB where only shoots resides, a 2 TB for all other docs
a 4 TB for music and other media… all Thunderbolt 3.

All backed up to a 12TB NAS / Raid 5 modular unit (QNAP).

Great Info!

Do you find it problematic to deal with the 3 external hard drives? Is your primary machine a laptop?

So the NAS is strictly for backup? Is the backup automatic? How do you backup the externals?

Do you have an off site backup? Using what method?

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #696585 by Nikon Shooter

marmathsen wrote: Do you find it problematic to deal with the 3 external hard drives?

That's pretty much plug and play.

marmathsen wrote: Is your primary machine a laptop?

All my machines are primaries — they must allow me to do the
same thing work but at their different levels of performance.

marmathsen wrote: So the NAS is strictly for backup?

Yep.

marmathsen wrote: Is the backup automatic? 

Yep… through TimeMachine

marmathsen wrote: How do you backup the externals?

Simply, through TimeMachine

marmathsen wrote: Do you have an off site backup?

Nope, I couldn't care less.

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696644 by fmw
My files are backed up to a NAS (network attached storage) which is in turn backed up by another NAS.

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696685 by saponcpa
I understand what are you talking about. You can use Google Drive because it's free another setup 12TB because 12TB is a huge capacity. 

3 years 7 months ago #696687 by Nikon Shooter

saponcpa wrote: You can use Google Drive…

The longer the chain, the weaker it is.

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696715 by saponcpa
We use Dropbox's premium service along with google drive and wetransfer's premium integration to our website clippingpatharts. Dropbox gives us 3 TB space. In fact we need to deal with hundreds of images everyday regardless of any file format, TIFF/PSD/JPG/PNG, even raw file format. We are quite satisfied with all these Dropbox+Wetransfer's premium service. Google Drive adds extra facility for us.

3 years 7 months ago #696716 by saponcpa
We use Dropbox's premium service along with google drive and wetransfer's premium integration to our website clippingpatharts. Dropbox gives us 3 TB space. In fact we need to deal with hundreds of images everyday regardless of any file format, TIFF/PSD/JPG/PNG, even raw file format. We are quite satisfied with all these Dropbox+Wetransfer's premium service. Google Drive adds extra facilities for us.

3 years 7 months ago #696860 by EOS Man
+1 Dropbox and Google Drive and a number of USB hard drives

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696873 by Prago
G-Technology 4TB drives

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024