Do you count down during portraits?

3 years 7 months ago #696538 by MYoung
Personally I try to catch the person off guard and take shots randomly during the portrait time.  However I was talking to a good friend who is complete opposite of me and swears by the classic count down to zero and take the shot.  

I don't know, for me, I think that gives the person time to 'expect' the shot and you get these un nature, not in the moment shots.  3,2,1 click just doesn't work for me. 

Kind of curious what method others are using here.   

Fireaway   

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696541 by Nikon Shooter
I use both ways, sometimes candid yields better results
other times the count down will.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696561 by Beth Anderson
Now if it a more challenging pose to hold yes, I'll do the old count down.  Or if outdoors and it's super bright out and the subjects are squinting.  Then I'll have them close their eyes and open on "1".... 3-2-1 ::click::

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696701 by Greg Friedman
I don't, I like the expressions when they don't know when I'm going to take the photo

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696742 by Sanford
Only with kids or when situation calls for it.  Kids mainly.

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696744 by CharleyL
I do it both ways as well, but usually I find that the client picks the shots that I didn't count down for. They are more relaxed, and it shows when they don't know exactly when I'll be taking the shot. I sometimes also get into light conversation with them and then shoot when it seems right. Counting sometimes, and then not counting other times, tends to catch them a little off guard too. Many times I can get more natural looks this way. Taking more shots than needed is usually better too, since in the first few shots they are not at all relaxed or natural. A couple of posing changes and a few shots of each is usually just warm-up time. Then the better and more natural looks begin to come out. With digital photography the cost for these wasted shots is just a little time and some "free electrons".

For kids, I also talk to them, sometimes trying to get them to say words like "Froggy" or "Turtle" or "Foxy" and then shoot mostly at the end of their spoken word, but I never tell them to "Smile" or say "Cheese", as these words don't usually get the natural looks that I'm after. Using words other than "Smile" or "Cheese" or "Foxy" usually catches them by surprise and gets them to relax some, since many times in their life somebody has already said "Smile" and "Cheese" to them when taking a photo. Getting them to laugh sometimes helps too, as it also gets them to relax more. 

Charley

3 years 7 months ago #696837 by EOS Man
No, most of the time I just take the shots while making conversation with them.

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #696887 by Sawyer
Funny thing is, when I'm with family, yes.  Otherwise no. 

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697039 by Ottis
with kids only

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697162 by Red Tail
No, just random shots as I carry a conversation with my subject.   I think you get better and more natural looks.  

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #697340 by Zach Mosher
Yes, when  needed

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024