Lens for Real Estate Photography

3 years 6 months ago #698118 by Sean English
Hi. New here. I'm not so new to photography. Learning how  to get into real estate photography. I have narrowed my camera down to Nikon D850 though have not bought one yet. 
Want to know what kind of lens would be a good one for this purpose. 
Some extra info: I have a D50 now and educating myself on using photoshop. Thanks in advance. If you are already a real estate photographer and can spare some time for a phone conversation,  I would love to talk /facetime. 
Thanks in advance. 

3 years 6 months ago #698126 by Nikon Shooter
My I suggest that the wonderful D850 is not the better tool
to invest in but two lenses would be:
— a rectilinear wide angle and
— a 24mm PC lens.

A D7xx would put the invested money at the right places.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #698216 by Sean English
Hi 
Thank you for taking the time to answer. 
What do you mean by D7xx? I don't know of such camera. Do you mean 750? I read that 850 has the highest MP of 46 vs 24 for 750
What can you tell me about it? Isn't it true that for those kinds of high resolution photos, we need hig MP?

3 years 6 months ago #698219 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sean

In your opening post you advise us that you are new to photography - and this forum
So may I offer you a 'Welcome aboard'

As to your queries ...
The lens is the part of a camera that creates the image - NOT the big lump behind the lens ... it's job is to record what the lens is seeing. Therefore your choice of lens becomes most important ~ a poor lens / a fuzzy lens / a lens with issues recreating the verticals inside rooms ... each will destroy the end result you are striving for

Thus the suggestion for a 'rectilinear' lens (talk to wiki for more info)

The job of "the big lump" behind the lens is to record the image - and the number of megapixels is only one of a dozen criteria needing to be considered. Personally from the real estate images I see in the windows and in their promotional materials, anything above 10mpx is "lost in translation" as the saying goes ie: superfluous and I seriously doubt that anything over 20mpx will ever see the light of day in the real estate office's publicity materials. (However NS may offer a better response!)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 6 months ago #698222 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sean

To continue from earlier - talking now about "the lump" behind the lens

As you admit that you are new to photography and the cameras that go with it, let's put this conversation into motor car terms - I'm sure that you will see the parallels   :)

You are in the market for a new set of wheels and your mate down the road tells you to buy a Ford coz he has one "and it's great". However you need to get a unit that suits your needs - so you do test drives with 3 or 4 other units and end up with something that clicks ... all the knobs & buttons and features and overall 'grunt' all fit into your image of what you need - it just happens to be a Toyota!

So it will be with your new camera - and forget about megapixels

I suggest that you get your fingers onto a "full frame" Nikon + a Canon + a Sony + a Panasonic at the very minimum and see how they go for you
How do the knobs & buttons fit to your fingers? - how does the eyepiece fit if you are wearing specs? - do the menu operations seem easy to follow or are they too complicated? - is the size and weight what you are happy to drag around? - and so on

Then you can match a chosen lens with a chosen camera and join the 'photographers' of the world !!  :)

Hope this helps

3 years 6 months ago #698234 by Nikon Shooter

Sean English wrote: What do you mean by D7xx? I don't know of such camera. Do you mean 750?

Yes, D700 to the later D780.

Sean English wrote: I read that 850 has the highest MP of 46 vs 24 for 750
What can you tell me about it? Isn't it true that for those kinds of high resolution photos, we need hig MP?

I am using two D850's but none for real estate shoots where the
D3X with its 24 MP is more than well suited for the jobs. I adopted
the working strategy to get thing properly in the box and that im-
plies to use the proper lenses for the job. 

Lenses are always the better investments.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #698482 by Camera Diva
24mm

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sean English

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024