Wide Angle - what lens do I need?

3 years 6 months ago #699106 by bigcougar
This summer I thought I would go and do a few hikes in the Yukon - Kluane park.

I saw this photo on the web and thought "Cool, I'll get up there and take my own version of it.".

Attachment not found

Not to waste your time with what the actual climb entailed and the weather conditions I encountered., all this was bearable.   The disappointment came when I got up there to find out my Canon 18-55 lens was nowhere near capturing the view.

My only consolation was the overall poor weather conditions that would have messed up the picture even if the lens was right.

So what would be your recommendations for a good landscape lens - light, inexpensive , producing good results.    In hiking weight is a factor and weather or accidental damage is always in the picture.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

3 years 6 months ago #699202 by db3348
Bigcougar,
Technically ,  just about any lens  is a good landscape lens ,  it  just depends on what particular landscape  and  how much of it  you  wish to capture  in one image .

From title of your question  I  presume  you're looking  for something  that can yield  a wider view than the 18 mm of your present lens can .

So anything shorter  than 18 mm  will give  a wider view .  There are plenty of them  out there .

And  are you aware  that  you can actually get a wider view with your 18 – 55 mm lens,  by shooting  a sequence of partly overlapping images  and  "stitching"  them together in post-processing .  This  is something  I do  quite often .  But  I don't know  if  this  would be practical on your current trip .  If  you can find  a perfectly level and stable rock  to rest  your camera on ,  it  might be worth a try .

Just food for thought .

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: bigcougar
3 years 6 months ago #699220 by bigcougar
Thanks, this was my interpretation too.

Is there a EF-S pancake lens below 18mm that fits a Canon SL1 that will give me a wider view without stitching the pictures?

Is a pancake lens a good choice for landscapes? 

When I go hiking I carry the 18-55mm and I also carry a 55-250mm lens for wildlife.  The two together with the camera represent a fair bit of weight. Trying to cut down on weight if possible.

On a side note, I do not see the pictures I uploaded with my first post?  Is this a result of my free membership?    I can contribute with hundreds of landscape, wildlife and fish pictures, but paying at the same time is a little discouraging.

3 years 6 months ago #699235 by Hassner
I do not know why your pics did not upload. 
It is not because of membership. 

I also would go for stitching photos. I use it in my work daily. 
A lot cheaper than a lens and so much more satisfying in the creation. 
Turn your camera vertical. Use your focus spots as pointers as to where to overlap or where you keep your horison. 
(Remember to shoot on manual exposure to keep all exposure the same.)

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #699253 by Nikon Shooter
Your avatar is something big but it is not a cougar! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #699322 by db3348
Bigcougar,

Here's a website  for you to check out showing what lenses are available for your SL1

Seems there's only 2 lenses  significantly wider than 18 mm ,  neither of which really fit the 'pancake' style description .

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/list/lenses/ef

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #699329 by Scotty

bigcougar wrote: Thanks, this was my interpretation too.

Is there a EF-S pancake lens below 18mm that fits a Canon SL1 that will give me a wider view without stitching the pictures?

Is a pancake lens a good choice for landscapes? 

When I go hiking I carry the 18-55mm and I also carry a 55-250mm lens for wildlife.  The two together with the camera represent a fair bit of weight. Trying to cut down on weight if possible.

On a side note, I do not see the pictures I uploaded with my first post?  Is this a result of my free membership?    I can contribute with hundreds of landscape, wildlife and fish pictures, but paying at the same time is a little discouraging.

How did you upload your pics?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago #699352 by bigcougar
Thanks everyone.  So it looks like there are no small, light , cheap solutions to my conundrum.

My avatar is a cropped image from the 1997 Canadian grizzly postage stamp (denomination of $8).  |I| collect stamps.

OK, I will try to upload the pictures again - first one from the web, next two from my camera.  I may try to stitch them, but don't expect good results with my non-existent skills.

Attachments:
3 years 6 months ago #699354 by bigcougar
No luck with stitching.  The two pictures were not taken from the very same spot.
It appears stitching will work when you have clear skies and stable weather.

In my case with the 80km/h winds and clouds flying around, no amount of stitching will help. :-)

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS REBEL SL1
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/10.0
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Captured: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:17am

Attachments:
3 years 6 months ago #699361 by Hassner
1. Turn your camera vertical. 
2. Lens not too wide, 35-50mm on full frame, thus about 24mm-35mm for crop sensor.
(No tripod needed if you stick to a faster shutter speed.)
Take an exposure in the middle of your shot and set it on manual in your camera.
3. Choose one of your focus spots for your horison and keep your horison on it for every shot.
4. Look at the edge of your image, choose a landmark and only move the camera enough so a quarter or a fifth of the image will overlap with each shot.
5. On the wide lens I will stick to max 5-7 shots, on the 50mm I will even go to 9 shots. 
I might crop a lot of the sides afterwards for esthetics. 
I used a Canon stitch program at first, but I do it on Photoshop nowadays.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #699362 by Nikon Shooter
If for web, a quick edit may restore your intention…

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS REBEL SL1
Lens: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/10.0
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Captured: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:17am

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
Attachments:
3 years 6 months ago #699399 by Crammer
If you haven't bought yet, don't forget to shop used markets.  You can find some really good deals out there. 

www.mpb.com and www.keh.com are a couple to start with

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024