Why do my iPhone photos look better than photos taken with DSLR?

3 years 5 months ago #699161 by Karen Comella
Have you noticed when you take a photo of a scene with your iPhone, the photo seems to look better than what you take with your DSLR?  For me, I have a Canon 5D Mark III and the iPhone seems to capture more of the shadows and darks, than my 5D showing correct exposure. 

Why is this?

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699165 by fmw

Karen Comella wrote: Have you noticed when you take a photo of a scene with your iPhone, the photo seems to look better than what you take with your DSLR?  For me, I have a Canon 5D Mark III and the iPhone seems to capture more of the shadows and darks, than my 5D showing correct exposure. 

Why is this?

Probably a difference in the meter recommendations.  Remember, you don't work the metering system.  It works for you.  It doesn't answer all exposure issues.  It provides a recommendation.  If you think it underexposes then increase the exposure.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699167 by Nikon Shooter
Almost any picture will look "better" on a small screen!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699209 by Piechura
Are you saying they look better immediately after you take them in the back of the camera/phone, or they still look better after you've processed the DSLR image? Because I can believe that a phone photo can look better immediately, because the phone processes it in real time and often might have an HDR mode that allows it to create an image from multiple exposures. But once you get the images into Lightroom, you'd typically find that a RAW image from a DSLR actually captures far more detail in both the highlights and shadows.

3 years 5 months ago #699210 by Shadowfixer1
Print an 11x14 or 16x20 from each, then get back to us and let us know which is superior then.
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #699244 by Hassner
Phone manufacturers need to outsell each other. Billions are at stake.
One huge selling point is their camera.
Consumer editors take the same pic with two cameras and seek for the one that pops.
So phones real time processing (as Piechura meantioned) are set to impress as much as possible to try outdo the opposition.
Our DSLR is set to look as real as possible. With a bit of post, it can look the same.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699248 by yurqqa

Nikon Shooter wrote: Almost any picture will look "better" on a small screen!

FIrst this and then - HDR.

When you shoot, iPhone also records several images with different exposure and then create the final image using the best exposed image for different part of the image (i.e. correctly exposed sky from one picture and correctly exposed shadows from the other).

You can do it when you edit RAW file to some degree or you could also shoot several pictures with different exposure (there's a mode in the camera that do it every time you shoot) and then use the software to stitch the images together.

What you can't do with camera is to do the local white balance for different part of the image like iPhone and Pixel do using AI that was trained on the huge amount of photos they have from the users who store the photos in the cloud.

I think this feature will come at least to Photoshop that also have a lot of user photos in the cloud storage.

And I think we'll see more and more software and AI based features in cameras also.

3 years 5 months ago #699256 by Pettigrew
Someone else just asked a question on the big hint for you - computational photography 

That's the key to why iPhone images are good out of the box

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699380 by Liem Stailey
I was told a while ago when I asked another photographer this, it has to do with that the phones apply some level of HDR effect to your photos.  

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699408 by EOS Man
Apple science :rofl:

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699538 by Scotty
If they look better on your phone, you're doing it wrong on the DSLR. You can't push phone photos for crap.  It might change a tiny bit with apple doing raws now.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699539 by Scotty
If they look better on your phone, you're doing it wrong on the DSLR. You can't push phone photos for crap.  It might change a tiny bit with apple doing raws now.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699597 by Ian Stone
Not true, isn't the iPhone using HDR and fancy processing that isn't in a camera?  

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699632 by Prago
iPhones and other smart phones have so much processing taking place in their images. 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024