Opteka 650-1300mm Telephoto Zoom Lens??

3 years 5 months ago #699430 by Ryan711
LOL $200 bucks for a 1300mm lens?   www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1303889-R..._16_preset_lens.html

I need to post and ask about this thing.  It's sold on B&H, so it has to be at least semi legit?

$199 though?  You can barely buy a camera brand 50mm for this price.  What is the catch?

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699457 by Nikon Shooter

Ryan711 wrote: LOL $200 bucks for a 1300mm lens?  What is the catch?

Yes, LOL!

No catch though but plenty of compromises.

1, ƒ8 ~ƒ16 means that shooting is limited, restricted to given
   light conditions — making manual focus very precarious

2, the lens is morphologically, mechanically a huge dust and
   fungi pump

3, the unique plus point, IMO, is the two holes collar plate

altogether, not a serious option.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699459 by Screamin Scott
Not worth the money it costs...The 650 may give one OK shots (but not great) in good light,  but the 1300mm end would not as it's way too slow. That said, accurate focusing would be a challenge. This is a manual focus lens thus the focus screen of current DSLRs would not work well with it and metering may be iffy...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699460 by Ryan711
So rubbish photos?  Do any of these sort of 'cheap' lenses work?  Even smaller ones?

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #699462 by Screamin Scott
The quality of the results are in the eye of the beholder. One can get a semi-decent image if all the conditions are right, but we all know that seldom happens...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #699467 by Nikon Shooter

Ryan711 wrote: So rubbish photos?  Do any of these sort of 'cheap' lenses work?  Even smaller ones?

Work? Yes but one cannot hope for high quality and trouble free
long term operation.

I have both a 45+ yo manual 18 mm and a 32 yo AF 600 mm still
in operation.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699534 by Paris Gal
At first I was going to jump all on this and state this must be garbage.  But a recent lens release has me thinking there are big brand lenses, two of them marketed by a big brand that are likely close to these. The Canon 600mm and 800mm f/11.  When you look at how this lens is zoomed out with the extending the barrel, the Canon do as well.   Makes you wonder how much better the Canon is from something like this?

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699536 by Nikon Shooter

Paris Gal wrote: Makes you wonder how much better the Canon is from something like this?

Whatever name one puts on a bad idea, it is still a bad idea! :P

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699541 by Screamin Scott

Paris Gal wrote: At first I was going to jump all on this and state this must be garbage.  But a recent lens release has me thinking there are big brand lenses, two of them marketed by a big brand that are likely close to these. The Canon 600mm and 800mm f/11.  When you look at how this lens is zoomed out with the extending the barrel, the Canon do as well.   Makes you wonder how much better the Canon is from something like this?

Remember the Canon lenses are not Preset lenses (like this one is) and that they also have IS (which this does not have). Granted, the Canon lenses are pricy but those two features alone make them stand out compared to this lens. Like comparing apples to oranges...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699586 by TGonzo
LOL I almost bought one of these back in the day!

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699623 by Kenta
Yeah, but Canon invested into much better glass quality and other internal components.  

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699656 by Nefarious
Last year I almost bought one from someone on Craigslist, it was a super deal, I want to say it was $125 for 1000mm lens, I was thinking whoa, my lucky day!  Till I asked to try it out on my camera and noticed the image quality was very poor.  I ended up passing.  

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699686 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day fellas

This is a classic "T-mount x manual focus x manual aperture stop-down" lens. This type of lens has been with us 'since the days of the T-model Ford' - and I can remember playing with similar lenses back in the 1960s

Insofar as v-e-r-y ... l-o-n-g lenses go, it is probably quite good in value for money terms

Yes it's a $200 lens and you need to add another $10-$15 for the bayonet mount adapter for your camera. It also is a most impressive hunk of lens - in walking around with it you will appear to be a "very professional photographer"   :thumbsup:

Then of course, you will need a very solid tripod to hold this beastie, in such a way that the breeze will not vibrate the entire unit and cause image degradation > more cost  :evil:

It is all part of the fun with photography :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024