50mm lens overrated or useful to you?

3 years 5 months ago #700558 by Rob Conley
Are you using your 50mm prime much?  Or is yours like mine just collecting dust?  I kept mine, and will try to use it from time to time, but just find the focal length restricting in some areas, and just not wide enough in others.  

That's just me, I guess it's just a tough focal length.   

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700564 by Nikon Shooter
Specifically a 50? I don't even own one… but did long ago!
I do, however, use IF primes but given weather conditions
and shooting scenari.

Overrated? Not if one uses it… but everything is when sitting
there, just catching dust.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700567 by Rob Conley
You just answered my question... :rofl:

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700568 by Nikon Shooter
Then, there are the purists… in anything.

Those consider to way things are done to be more important
than the pleasure one gets from any practice and should ulti-
mate any final results. I call'm the "missionary position" lovers.

:P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700637 by Neil Dulay
Got one, but frankly don't use it as much as I used too. 

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700642 by fmw
Normal lenses are usually great performers.  I use an APS-C camera system and my normal lens is the Zeiss 32mm.  I use it all the time.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700648 by Screamin Scott
The thing is, you would be hard pressed to find any other lens of equal quality at the same price point. As for the focal length being limited, use your feet to either get closer or farther away. It's what we did for years. Yeah, zooms are a bit more convenient, but they are not as sharp unless you spend big bucks, and then they are still not as sharp (in bench tests anyway). Actually, you could say negative things about most other focal length primes...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700649 by Piechura
I just watched Tokyo Story by Yasujiro Ozu and correctly guessed that it was shot entirely on a 50mm lens. It turns out he shot his entire filmography with just a 50mm lens, so if it's good enough for him...

I use zooms now, but I used to have a 40mm (equivalent) prime and that was the one I used the most. It apparently offers the perspective most similar to what the human eye sees, so that might be why I liked it so much. It was also my fastest lens, which probably didn't hurt.

3 years 5 months ago #700689 by Ira Weber
It's a handy lens to have.  Do I use mine often?  No, but I still consider it a must have.  

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #700690 by Esseff
I don't have one but it's on the top of my list. Looks like the one to have for what I normally do.

3 years 5 months ago #700788 by Chris Briggs
I wouldn't go saying that it's overrated, it's a very good lens to have.  But do I use it often?  Not as much as I do others.  It's a fun portrait lens that makes you work for your shot.  

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700801 by KevinH
I use a 50 quite often for portraits.

3 years 5 months ago #700904 by CharleyL
I use one frequently for my studio shoots. 

Charley

3 years 5 months ago #700942 by Moe
I just used mine 2 days ago.  I’d say I get out and use it 3-4 times per month typically.  Its not the most used lens in my bag by any measures. 

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #700966 by Uplander
Got one, but it's not used to often either.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024