Muddy Photos

3 years 5 months ago #702491 by metzlmar
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here I go.  I'm very much a new camera owner.  I used to take all of my photos with my cell camera, but I wanted to upgrade to a better camera.  I bought a Fujifilm X-T200, and it came with an XC15-45mm lens.  My photos turn out muddy.  Zoomed out photos don't look too bad, but when I zoom in they look muddy.  Nothing is crisp/sharp.  This happens on fully automatic mode or manual mode.  I have even tried using a tripod.  I assume that I'm likely doing something wrong (hopefully simple), and that my camera is not the culprit.  I was going to attach a sample photo, but I saw in another forum that photos aren't supposed to be bigger than 2MB.  All of my photos are 3-4 times that size.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Mark

3 years 5 months ago #702493 by Nikon Shooter
It would be of great help to have sample images to look at! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #702626 by CharleyL
More information/photos are really needed for a good answer, but back about 20 years ago a neighbor's wife had bought her first digital camera, and had problems with many photos that she took being blurry. I was asked why the camera was working so poorly, so I tried using it and every photo that I took with it turned out very nice, well focused, and sharp.

It turned out that she had not read the instructions and wasn't using the 2 steps of the shutter button to let the camera focus before pushing the button fully and taking the shot. She was using the camera exactly as she had with her previous film box cameras. Once she understood her problem, her photos were much better more often, but it took her several months to get completely past the habit of just mashing the button every time. Eventually, she did and was very happy with her photos afterward.

Slight camera shake as you press the shutter button can cause muddy looking photos too, if the movement is small.

I also need to ask how you are printing or viewing your photos? This too can cause muddy photos. The kind of ink, the kind of photo paper, the pixel sizes of the photos, etc. all can cause this. Please, not only post a few photos, but also more information about your camera and settings, what file size coming from the camera, what the image looks like on your pc, and what your printer, printer settings, printing inks, and photo paper are.

Charley

3 years 4 months ago #702629 by metzlmar
Here are some photos.  Hopefully the administrators on this site don't complain about them being over 2MB.  I'm just viewing the photos on my computer.  I know to press the button halfway down so it can focus, and then when it beeps to let me know it has focused, I then press the button the rest of the way.  These photos were shot using a tripod. 

Attachments:
3 years 4 months ago #702630 by metzlmar
I see that the website cut each of my photos down to less than 1MB.  The quality looks really bad.  Unless there is a way I can upload my photos at full quality there's no point to upload more.

3 years 4 months ago #702640 by Shadowfixer1
Buying a better lens to should be first on the list. Your camera is a good camera. Learn how to set it up to optimize your output if shooting jpg. If shooting RAW, learn how to properly process your files.
3 years 4 months ago #702643 by Khelm
I'm not the most experienced person and I have never had image stabilization in camera or lens,  but I've read that using a tripod while image stabilization is on can cause problems as the camera is adjusting for movement that isn't there.  Maybe your camera or lens has image stabilization on  and you are using the tripod?  Others could probably speak in more depth.  

3 years 4 months ago #702815 by metzlmar
i've set a timer on the camera to see if that would help...it wasn't any help...a friend of mine wonders if a better lens would help

3 years 4 months ago #702816 by metzlmar
i've tried turning it off...it didn't help

3 years 4 months ago #702817 by Shadowfixer1
See if you can find an experienced photographer to check out your gear. There may be some mechanical issues. If they get sharp images using it, then it would be user error. Hard to know exactly what's going on without handling it. You may want to send it in if under warranty.
3 years 4 months ago #703544 by Esseff
I wanna add something to this conversation:

Went out today and took some photos of houses and they are lacking sharpness. Been playing around with aperture settings (f11 to f18) so not sure if that might affect sharpness. I also kept the shutter speed at around 1/400. My question: is there a sweet spot for sharpness?

3 years 4 months ago #703547 by Esseff

Esseff wrote: I wanna add something to this conversation:

Went out today and took some photos of houses and they are lacking sharpness. Been playing around with aperture settings (f11 to f18) so not sure if that might affect sharpness. I also kept the shutter speed at around 1/400. My question: is there a sweet spot for sharpness?

Looking at older photos they are much sharper and all f8 or under. Will have to revisit todays venues... :rolleyes

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024