Does any used retailers pay over above fair market value for camera gear?

3 years 4 months ago #702623 by Barbara Fite
I've spoken to 2 so far, and their pricing that they would pay is really low.  Both have preached it's FMV.  I think not.  

Is there a company that actually pays a real FAIR price for used gear?  I would like to make some updates so selling off some older stuff.  

Thank you

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #702628 by CharleyL
Much like used car sales, when you sell or trade in used cameras or other equipment, dealers need to be able to buy from you low enough to be reasonably guaranteed that they can clean up and fix anything that turns out to be wrong with anything that they buy and still turn a profit when they resell the item. Again, with a used car for comparison, if you want to get the best price for your car, you can clean it up and fix anything wrong, then advertise and sell it direct to someone. You will get much more from the sale of your car if you do this direct sale. The same holds true with photography or other used equipment.

Advertise your camera or photography gear on Facebook Marketplace, or some other resale venue, and sell your equipment direct to the new buyer, if you want the most profit that you can get from it. For those who don't want to play this resell game and just want to get what they can from their car or photo gear, these used dealers exist to buy, clean up, and resell for you, but only if they can turn a reasonable profit for their efforts.

Charley

3 years 4 months ago #702637 by Nikon Shooter

Barbara Fite wrote: Is there a company that actually pays a real FAIR price for used gear?  I would like to make some updates so selling off some older stuff.  

The same fair price may be paid for given gear by a private
buyer but retailer MUST make their cut if they are to survive.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #702679 by Barbara Fite
That's the thing, all my gear is like new condition with very little use.  Thank you though, I'll try Facebook marketplace and see what action I get there.  

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #702761 by Shadowfixer1
Any of the used retailers will offer 50 to 60% of what they will sell it for. 
3 years 4 months ago #703155 by Sawyer
:agree:   You might want to ask if any sell on consignment  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #703158 by Screamin Scott
"Do any used retailers pay over above the fair market value for camera gear?"
 As has been noted, the answer is no... They have to make a profit to stay in business. I went the rounds with some older gear and found they were all within a few dollars of each other's quotes. Plus remember that one person's opinion of condition may not be the same as another's...  Reply Topic  Moderation

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024