Photo clubs since Covid pandemic

3 years 3 months ago #703964 by Tim Chiang
I can't believe it has been 10 months since I have meet with my friends at our local camera club.  Granted, we all have been meeting on Zoom, but that isn't the same. No where near the same.  I know of a couple neighboring clubs who are no more, closed doors for good.  This morning I was reading about Photokina shutting doors after 70 years.  

Photography isn't go anywhere, but professional organizations have been flipped upside down and when we get out of this mess, I think we are going to see a surge of new clubs and possible rebirth of photo related expos.  I hope.  

What is your club doing during these times?  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #703987 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Tim

Being from Downunder-land, we (the country / pollies / medical authorities all working together) have taken steps to deter the c-19 virus problem as much as possible, and now that most states have had over 28 days with zero new infections from community transmission, things are starting to return to normal

Our camera club returned to face-to-face meetings last month, and later this week we'll have our end-of-year meeting with awards etc. available

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 3 months ago #704011 by E Rodriguez
Stopped going in Feb here.  Our club organizer stopped the website in April.  :(

3 years 3 months ago #704214 by Cory J
Everything shut down around here.  I tried doing the Zoom thing, not much of a fan.  Actually I always fall asleep.  :rofl:

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #704244 by Nikon Shooter
Photo clubs meetings are down but online tutoring and mentoring
are maintaining their calendar somehow as some have more time
on their hands but others are struggling without work.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #704302 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day fellas

Our camera club had its end-of-year dinner and awards night last Friday - we're a small regional club and 2-dozen of us sat down to a very nice meal followed by an evening with the judge and her comments on most of the images

I received a 'silver' award for this shot ...
img\def

The club is now on hols until late January, whereupon we'll restart our twice-monthly meetings again

3 years 3 months ago #704315 by Robert Chen
Nothing in person.  I know of some who have met up, not going to risk it.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #704437 by Crazyguy
Same with ours and recently even the Zoom meetings has stopped.  Attendance got so low that our organizer stated he'll look at things back in 2021 and see how things are then. 

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #704495 by Sandy Smith Photos
My club was still meeting up as of 2 months ago, but I chose to not attend.  I have older parents and I don't want to risk anything.  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #704602 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sandy + others

=if= you are U.S. based then I quite agree with you regarding isolation and taking extreme care

This is not meant to start a ding-dong between us, but ... from the outside looking in, the U.S. seems to be the stupidist country on the planet for covid control. We in Aussie get a very different set of information than the US President is giving the US people.

The covid numbers say it all
US new cases yesterday 151,000
Deaths ..... 2200

From the Australian Government - Department of Health
www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/nov...ion-and-case-numbers

Last 24hrs
0 deaths for > 35 days
1 new case from community transmission
74 cases from overseas arrivals - who go straight into 14-days of quarantine until tested 'clear'

and the Aussie population is 26-million
Q- is there a US State of 26 million with only 1 new case in the last 24-hours?

Hope this helps

3 years 3 months ago #704634 by Kayla Deis
WOW that is impressive.   Are you all conducting test at the rate we are?  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #704656 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Kayla

The answer is a "bit of -yes- and -no-"

Yes testing is going on daily - and the medical authorities stress that =if= you have any of 5 or 6 symptoms, get tested immediately as it does not cost one cent

However, as the population at large have been following our equivalent of Dr Faucci from the beginning, we just do not have the community transmission issues that the U.S. has ...

We had huge problems in the beginning after 1000+ infected people got off a cruise ship and flew across the country to be back home. They caused thousands of infections before the medical authorities invoked military-style closures of communities and on one case, the entire state. And the Aussie people accepted this without angry, gun-toting protests as the medical authorities (our Dr Faucci) explained that we have 2 options ... do something about it, or die. So we did something about it

Hope this helps

3 years 2 months ago #706326 by E Rodriguez

Cory J wrote: Everything shut down around here.  I tried doing the Zoom thing, not much of a fan.  Actually I always fall asleep.  :rofl:

Sorry but Zoom is so overrated.  Especially for anything photography related.  Just my 2 cents. 

3 years 2 months ago #706344 by H Rocky
Ours completely shut down and was supposed to open back up our meetings, but, of course has not. 

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #706851 by Jackson Rieger
Are club shut down in April last year, I haven't seen any emails or any discussions on when/if it will reopen.  Bummer.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024