Would you spend $290,000 on this Leica lens?

3 years 4 months ago #704777 by Don Granger
Yowser!  This is one expensive lens!  Seriously what do you do for a living if you can afford this lens?  

www.leitz-auction.com/auction/en/auktion...n37/article/227.html

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704862 by Happy Snapper
I would need to have ALOT more $$ in  my bank account before I ran off and bought something like this .

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704881 by Scotty

Don Granger wrote: Yowser!  This is one expensive lens!  Seriously what do you do for a living if you can afford this lens?  

I wouldn't buy it if it was 2000.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704897 by Colorado Mike
:agree:   I just don't understand why people spend so much on Leica lenses.  No thank you. 

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704907 by Ozzie_Traveller

Colorado Mike wrote:  I just don't understand why people spend so much on Leica lenses.  No thank you. 

G'day mate

Two things come to mind here ...
a) a decade ago I met a fella running a Leica camera plus 2 or 3 Leica lenses- an all up cost of maybe $A20k and he came to a beginner's photography workshop.  While the kit was undoubtedly first class, I asked him 'why the most expensive stuff on the market?' to which he answered - "I'm a retired dentist, I have the money, I like the best of everything, so why not Leica"

b) Currently I run Panasonic cameras with their Leica lenses.  I am on record here -and other photo forums- in stating (a few years ago now) that when I compared the sharpness of the Leica lens on my Panny FZ superzoom camera with the Pentax and its Sigma APO zoom lenses, the Leica on the Panny produced sharper images than the Pentax - even though the Panny sensor was only 1/9th the area of the Pentax.  Side-by-side comparison images printed to A3 size / 12" x 16" or thereabouts, the Leica images were definitely sharper.  The Pentax sensor certainly had much less noise as one would expect from a much larger sensor, but showing fine detail - no the Leica lenses were better.

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 4 months ago #704924 by Finn
:huh:

Insert your choice of "Hell no!"

Seriously, not a chance.  

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704946 by Alex

Scotty wrote:

Don Granger wrote: Yowser!  This is one expensive lens!  Seriously what do you do for a living if you can afford this lens?  

I wouldn't buy it if it was 2000.

Hey bro, I have to say my thoughts are the same.  While I appreciate the craftsmanship that Leica puts into their gear, I don't get the desire to pay for what you are getting.  At least for my photography interests.     Merry Christmas!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704950 by Nikon Shooter
NOW, WAIT A MINUTE… let's go logically!

When I deliver a set of images to a company's graphic department,
and they are very happy with it, these pros must know what they are
talking about. 

If I produce such work with less than 10k € of gear at a given price
— that is not known to be the cheapest in town — I would be out of
business in not time if my equipment was in that range of prices.

Clearly, the buyers are not making a living with that stuff so they must
be wealthy amateurs, collectors.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705007 by fmw
Wealthy Leica collector.  It isn't about the lens.  It is about its rarity (only 3 made.).  Wealthy people buy $40,000 wrist watches and $250,000 cars as well.  It is what it is.

I should mention to our Australian friend above that the Lumix lenses carry the Leitz brand but are made in Japan just like every Zeiss lens made for anything other than a Hasselblad.  That doesn't say anything negative the lenses by the way.  They are excellent.  I use a Japanese Zeiss lens myself and I can assure you it is as good as any and better than most.  I'm sure the Panasonic Leitz lenses are just as good. 

Sometimes brands can be misleading.  For example, the sharpest 80-200 zoom lens I have ever used is branded Yashica.  Yashica was never able to gain much market share in the camera industry for whatever reason but this particular lens is unbelievable.  Better than any Zeiss or Nikon zoom of similar focal range I have ever owned.

Several decades ago Leica launched a line of 35mm SLR cameras.  The lenses were made by Minolta in Japan but carried the Leitz name.  The cameras were made in Europe but not by Leica or in Germany..  The regular Leica rangefinder cameras and the lenses for them are very good.  I used to use an M4 and M6 Leica with a modest collection of lenses.  They were the best cameras I can think of for wide angle 35mm photography..  I used the Nikon system quite a bit more for practical reasons but the Leicas were outstanding performers.

I use digital rangefinder cameras now from Fujifilm.  They actually outperform about everything smaller than medium format that I have owned  thanks to the lack of moire filters and first rate lenses.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705026 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Beaut response and full of facts - well done

Phil

3 years 4 months ago #705117 by fmw
Thanks Mate.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705153 by Chris Grimm
WTH, no.  Simply said.  No.  Spending this kind of cash regardless how much money you have in the bank if crazy. 

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705280 by Ian Stone
Nearly 4 years wages for a lens?  LOL Not a chance! 

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705311 by Joe Peterson
Hmmmm, buy a house or buy a lens?  

:rofl:

We all know where I fall in the circle of wealth.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024