UV filter users...

3 years 3 months ago #705629 by Howard Swanson
Have you ever stripped your threads from placing on and off all the time?  I don't use one, but just found one in my old camera bag.  Honestly I have no clue where I picked this up from.  

You don't stack this with other filters right?  Meaning, if you have UV filter on your lens, and you want to use a solid ND of some sort, you remove the UV filter right?  That constant screwing on and off is what I'm wondering about.  

Any horror stories?  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705633 by Nikon Shooter
Horror stories can be avoided easily since UV filters
are not needed anymore with digital.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705739 by db3348

Howard Swanson wrote : You don't stack this with other filters right?  Meaning, if you have UV filter on your lens, and you want to use a solid ND of some sort, you
remove the UV filter right? 

Generally a good practice  to not use  any more filters at the same time ,  than absolutely necessary ,  because each additional filter  subtly adds  an extra little bit of image degradation .  So yes remove UV  if  you  want to use  another filter .

Like NS mentioned,  UVs are pretty much redundant these days  because  most digital cameras  have  in-built UV filters in front of sensor .  I  only use  UV filters as a lens protector , if anything ,  instead of having to buy  the purpose-designed and built clear Protector filter .

The only "horrors" (if you can call them that)  I've ever had  is filters being stuck on , almost impossible to remove .

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705837 by Chester Foster

Nikon Shooter wrote: Horror stories can be avoided easily since UV filters

So so true!  

3 years 3 months ago #705854 by fmw

Nikon Shooter wrote: Horror stories can be avoided easily since UV filters

Digital has nothing to do with UV filters.  What most photographers do not understand is that UV filters are just flat clear optical glass.  Clear glass does filter some UV light but that isn't the purpose of the filters.  Their purpose is to protect the front element of the lens from physical damage.  Some view that as important and others do not.  Take your pick.

In other words there is no photographic reason for using UV filters.  What digital photography has done is eliminate the need for filters entirely.  A possible exception could be ND filters which are useful in very rare circumstances.  You should be able to capture 99.99% of your images without filters and do your editing in software.

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705895 by db3348

fmw wrote :    . . . UV filters are just flat clear optical glass.   ...

fmw :  I believe  UV filters  do have  an extremely subtle,  pale cream colour ,  which  may not appreciably affect  exposure ,  but  may have  very marginal effect on colour (depending on how critical or forgiving one is with such issues ) .  But agree,  their use for digital is nothing much more than lens protection .

fmw wrote :   . . .  What digital photography has done is eliminate the need for filters entirely.  A possible exception could be ND filters which are useful in very rare circumstances.

Definite exception for the purpose of reducing the light when the ISO, and aperture can't be any lower than camera / lens's limits  and  shutter speed can't be any longer without blowing out  the exposure  entirely .  And  then ,  post-processing  can't properly replicate  the genuine effects of a polarising filter .

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705951 by SJM
Ha!  the first camera I bought I got persuaded into guying a UV filter.  Never again.:rofl:    Honestly I never found much use for it.  When I was putting on other filters I would have the screw the thing off, in order to place other filters on.   

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705966 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day SJM

two things here matey ..... yes. like many 'newbies' you were persuaded to over-spend in something of questionable value - it happens in many areas, not just photographic

However - it is well recognised that
a) one never doubles-up on filters unless the 2 together serve a specific purpose, and

b) the UV ("protection") filter is extremely useful for those of us who regularly do surfers where salt-loaded breeze is blowing towards us and coats the lens in 'crud' &/or rodeo / dusty outback regions where the airborne dust on the front element could grind away the nano-coating placed there in lens manufacture as it is wiped off the lens surface

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 3 months ago #706271 by Andy Gladwell
OMG you remind me of when I got my first filter, I DID accidently screw it on wrong and damaged the threads.  Another reason to minimize the filters going on and off and when you do place, be sure to make sure your filter is seated properly before screwing on.  

3 years 3 months ago #706395 by Jeffrey Russo
Have one, but stopped using it long ago.  

3 years 3 months ago #706674 by Inez Villarin
Don't use, don't fuss 

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #706676 by Hassner
I bought it in 1978 with my first new camera.
It was just in the way when I wanted to use other filters. 
I used a lot of colour filters when shooting black & white film.

A photographer friend kept on using them, said he is protecting his lens.
It became a thing between us, like nikon/canon, Ford/Chev, Android/Apple. 
He called me one day, very excited to say he was in a car accident, rear-ended by a car, cameras in the boot. 
The only damage was his one lens, the UV filter was shattered, luckily removing it with great care, his lens was fine. 
Until today he reminds me that UV worked for him, his lens would have been damaged, at the very least the thread ring would have been bent beyond fixing.

I’m still not using it.  

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708461 by TCav
Interesting read:

wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/g...es-with-bad-filters/

If you're going to use filters, don't go cheap.

3 years 2 months ago #708523 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day TCav

I see that you have made several posts before this - but I have missed them .... so WELCOME to the PT forum
The use of a UV filter is a topic that interests many here and it's beaut to see a variety of views on the topic :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: TCav
3 years 2 months ago #708568 by Ira Weber

Jeffrey Russo wrote: Have one, but stopped using it long ago.  

:agree: raise your hand if you have been in your shoes.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024