Image color differences between camera brands?

3 years 3 months ago #705651 by John Ledder
Prior to Covid, my Meetup group would meet and we all would take same frame of something and compare shots.  I was just reviewing some of these old shots and surprised with how different the colors are from camera to camera.  Specifically brand to brand is the largest difference.  

Why are colors so different from brand to brand?  

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705652 by Screamin Scott
What the colors look like will vary due to what lens is being used (some lenses will show "cooler" images, others "warmer" image transmission) and the controls set in the camera's menu system. There truly are no "straight out of the camera" images as the images you see are edited by in-camera software which can be found in the menu system as opposed to post-shot editing software......

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705653 by Screamin Scott
What the colors look like will vary due to what lens is being used (some lenses will show "cooler" images, others "warmer" image transmission) and the controls set in the camera's menu system. There truly are no "straight out of the camera" images as the images you see are edited by in-camera software which can be found in the menu system as opposed to post-shot editing software......

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705657 by John Ledder
Seriously?  I had no clue that cameras process images inside prior to exporting.  That is serious news to me!  

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705666 by Screamin Scott
if you go into your camera's menu system, you will find areas to change things like saturation (color intensity), Sharpness, and other things. What you see on the rear screen is determined by what those settings are, even if you shoot in Raw. If you send the image to an editing program, it uses either those settings to display the image or it may use it's own algorithms...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705737 by db3348
John,

Then in addition to Screamin Scott's last comment ,  on those in-camera menus ,  different photographers  could choose different setting values  according  to their own tastes ,  which would exaggerate  the caamera-to-camera differences  even further .

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705758 by Happy Hour
Speaking of which, aren't pixel sizes between brands going to be different?  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705809 by Shadowfixer1

Happy Hour wrote: Speaking of which, aren't pixel sizes between brands going to be different?  

Not necessarily. Nikon uses Sony chips but design their own filter array and of course their A/D converter is different. Canon would most likely be different as they make their own chips. Megapixels will influence pixel size more than anything. The more you cram onto a chip, the smaller they have to be.
3 years 3 months ago #705810 by Nikon Shooter
Two factors will mostly cause the differences. First, the chemical
composition of the crystal in the sensor and, second, the software
created to interpret the recorded data.

From a "mineral" capture, the said software will represent the effort
of the maker to translate that info into a more "organic" look — it is
the ultimate work in PP that will render what was seen or, including
the artistic intend, the way one wants (can) propose an own vision.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #705881 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day John

A lot of ths will also come down to whether you are shooting in RAW or JPG mode

RAW means that your final image is highly influenced by your use of the sliders during editing --
JPG means that your final image is influenced by the in-camera JPG pre-sets that are selected via one of the setup menus

For example -
Fuji cameras offer users 4 or 5 colour options copying their slide or neg film responses
Panasonic offers users 7 or 8 colour or mono options- before getting into the 'arty-farty' stuff where users get another 2-dozen offerings
Canon offer users 4 (from memory) options
and so it goes on

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 3 months ago #707097 by KCook

John Ledder wrote: Seriously?  I had no clue that cameras process images inside prior to exporting.  That is serious news to me!  

Without any processing the "images" would barely be recognizable.

Lots of folks stick with JPG, so it can be fun to compare JPG differences.  I do this on my blog -

photographyintro.com/tag/auto-mode/

But RAW is better, provided you know what you're doing.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 3 months ago #707157 by Uplander

Screamin Scott wrote: if you go into your camera's menu system, you will find areas to change things like saturation (color intensity), Sharpness, and other things. What you see on the rear screen is determined by what those settings are, even if you shoot in Raw. If you send the image to an editing program, it uses either those settings to display the image or it may use it's own algorithms...

I have never changed those settings from camera, I would rather judge and adjust the photo from the large screen on my computer.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024