How come there are no left handed cameras?

3 years 3 months ago #706040 by Brody Kross
I'm not left handed, however my wife is.  This morning she brought up this question and I had no clue there were no left handed cameras.  Actually never thought about it.

Would you happen to know if anyone made one, or why never done?

3 years 3 months ago #706046 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Brody

This topic comes up every couple of years too :)
yes- it seems that the camera makers believe that everyone across this whole wide world are -all- right handed and also -all- right eyed when it comes to using the eyepiece

There was an east-german company years ago who offered the Exacta (film) camera - an excellent design and totally setup for left handers / left eye dominant users ... and it sold reasonably well back then. However, in the days of mass production with computer controlled machines, it seems that the makers of cameras -along with just about everything else- have decided on one basic shape and "that's it mate ~ take it of leave it".

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 3 months ago #706059 by Nikon Shooter
A left hand version — as for any kind of version — will be very often
produced in lower quantities increasing the retail price.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #706070 by Piechura
Is it really an activity that's so demanding on your dexterity to require a left-handed version? I get it for a guitar or even a pair of scissors, but photography is mainly pressing a button down. I mean I manage to focus and zoom the lens using my left hand, so left-handers should be able to click the shutter button with their right.

3 years 3 months ago #706091 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day P

There are exceptions to every 'rule'

Some years ago I had a student who had lost her right hand in an industrial accident. She held the camera left-handed but upside-down and used her thumb for the shutter button !!

3 years 3 months ago #706176 by CharleyL
Us "lefties" have been coming up with "work arounds" for as long as we live in this backwards World. 

I use a right hand mouse on the left side of my keyboard and click with my ring finger, and scroll the center wheel with the middle finger. If the right button is needed, the index finger operates it. I used to go through the software to reconfigure the mouse for left hand use, but then I worked in a place where we had lots of computers where we frequently had to enter data into any one of them. If us "lefties" changed the software to make a left handed mouse, it caused all kinds of fussing from the "dominant righties". We were out numbered, 2 lefties, and 9 righties, so we gave in and just did our own work arounds for using the right handed mice. It still irritated them when they found the mouse and pad on the wrong side of the keyboard. Now, even my home computers have right handed mice, located on the left side of the keyboards, because it's more comfortable for me to use it the backwards way since I have had to for years.

I have learned to do many right handed things with my right hand, because there wasn't an available alternative. Many right handed things, like operating a camera, I instinctively do with my right hand. Maybe I could take better shots with a left handed camera, but I have never tried, actually I've never even seen a left handed camera, let alone tried to use one.. I learned to shoot guns with either hand. Bolt action guns are always used right handed, because it's so difficult to use the right handed bolt action with the left hand, but the hot cartridges flying in my face when I use a semi-automatic pistol now have me usually using them right handed too. I have mastered using right handed scissors with my left hand, although I'm certain that they are more comfortable to use if you are right handed. I was given a pair of "left handed scissors" one time, and I had all kinds of trouble using them, because it wasn't my "natural way". Most of us "lefties"  have learned "work arounds" like this over our whole lives. It comes quite natural for me to do things "backwards" and "upside down" now, since I have lived with this problem all 78 years of my life. 

I'm certain that there are other Lefties" out there. Come on, let's hear from you. How have you remained a "Lefty" in a "Righty" World? Probably the same way that I am coping with it. Do you use it right handed, or upside down?. How about a hand saw (I can do it both ways)? 

Charley 

1 year 5 months ago #745483 by SummerDale

Piechura wrote: Is it really an activity that's so demanding on your dexterity to require a left-handed version? I get it for a guitar or even a pair of scissors, but photography is mainly pressing a button down. I mean I manage to focus and zoom the lens using my left hand, so left-handers should be able to click the shutter button with their right.

I'm quasi-ambidextrous, so which hand I'm using doesn't matter a whole lot as far as dexterity goes.  But I get a repetitive-use strain in my shoulder blade from seemingly innocuous activities that I do frequently—like opening doors, turning a key, or even measuring tablespoons of water while cooking.  It can become unbearable if I don't stop whatever activity is triggering it.

Doctors always say the same thing: just switch hands, which is what I usually do.  (My left side has no such issue with repetitive actions.)  

It acts up when I'm taking pictures a lot.  But holding the camera with my left hand covers the screen, and I've yet to figure out how to actually reach the button from the left.  (I'm going to have to try out that upside-down trick someone mentioned.)

I also had a friend who blew off his right hand with a firecracker...  He'd have more trouble than I do.

So, it's not always as simple as you might think.  I would LOVE to have a left-handed camera.  It would save me a lot of pain, without requiring me to give up photography.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024