Which Camera (s) should I keep

3 years 2 months ago #708302 by Alistair
Hi there everyone!

Apologies if I have requested hep in the wrong section, I am new to the site.....

I was hoping that I might be able to get some advice from you all?

In summary, I have a small Youtube channel that reviews watches. I use my camera gear to get photo's & video's of the watches....both in Macro & wider view so viewers can get a good idea of what the watches look like in "real-Life".

Up to now, I have been using the Lumix TZ90 as it can focus quite closely on the watch dial & record 4k which can be further cropped to show fine details such as the dial printing & mechanism of the watch.

I have been on a bit of a purchasing spree via FB marketplace & picked up an RX100 II & A Lumix G7 with the twin kit lens.

So, here's my quandry... putting aside my photography needs for my watch channel, I would also like to get into street photography.

Having Three camera's seems a bit overkill, but, I am completely confused which camera(s) should stay or go.....It's probably not helping that I feel like the TZ90 is "my old faithful" and getting rid of it feels wrong!!

Please help...any advice would be welcomed!!

Best

Al 

3 years 2 months ago #708363 by ThatNikonGuy
Easy, keep the G7.  It has higher video resolution, ISO performance, more focus points.  Granted it's a smaller sensor, but you do get the added bonus of being able to change out lenses.   The G7 is a newer camera aslo.  

Keep your old faithful.  

Hope this helps!

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream, Alistair
3 years 2 months ago #708365 by TCav
The Sony RX100 II has a 1", 20MP image sensor, while the Panasonic Lumix G7 has a larger 4/3, albeit lower resolution 16MP sensor. The Panasonic will produce images with slightly less image noise, but the Sony will produce images with higher resolution, and resolution hides noise.

The Sony has a (35mm equivalent focal length) 28-100mm lens which would be well suited for street photography.

The Panasonic with the 14-42mm and 45-150mm lenses would give you a broader zoom range, but in a bigger, heavier package, and would require changing lenses, which would be cumbersome in street photography.

I suggest you keep the Sony.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alistair
3 years 2 months ago #708374 by Pete Franko
Honestly, it's cutting hairs between the Sony and Panasonic G7.  Both definitely have pros and cons.  Putting the already mentioned specs aside and based on physical size, I'd go with the Sony.   

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708396 by Thomas S
+1 Sony

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708516 by KZAM
Yeah the Sony is going to be the best bet.  

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708567 by Ira Weber
Don't overlook size as well, the Sony is the best bet IMHO.

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708719 by Frost Photography
Yeah, I would have suggested the Sony.  Which did you keep?

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708729 by Alistair
Update - Decided to ditch the G7.

For me, the ease of portability & compact nature of the RX100 & TZ90 won me over!

Thanks for the comments & happy shooting to you all!

Al

3 years 2 months ago #709017 by Randy Shaw

Alistair wrote: Update - Decided to ditch the G7.

For me, the ease of portability & compact nature of the RX100 & TZ90 won me over!

Thanks for the comments & happy shooting to you all!

Al

+1 IMHO, you made the best choice.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024