15 stops of dynamic range from Sony a1?

3 years 2 months ago #708538 by Joslyn
Seriously?  That is nuts!  How many stops can the human eyes see?  

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708542 by Nikon Shooter
The human eye has a much greater range than any sensor and it
cheats to achieve that.

When measuring the camera's DR, the lens is set at a given aper-
ture, in given light condition; then the measurements are perform-
ed in a stable collection of parameters. Our eye can't be measured
the same way because the pupil has a job of its own, changing a-
perture constantly — reacting to environmental (light levels), and e-
motional (stress, etc) stimuli.

My 3 years old D850's have a 14.7 stops if I remember well.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708553 by ThatNikonGuy
:agree:   Nikon D850 has 14.8 stops, it's a beast.  The Sony is looking pretty good, but I'll stick with Nikon for now.  

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #708554 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

The camera has way more SS to chose from, 30 /s to 1/8000th /s as the eye
has only one and that is roughly 1/20s.

The human eye can detect a luminance range of 1014, or one hundred trillion
(100,000,000,000,000) (about 46.5 f-stops), from 10−6 cd/m2, or one millionth
(0.000001) of a candela per square meter to 108 cd/m2 or one hundred million
(100,000,000) candelas per square meter.

So the 15 stops of DR are nothing worth writing home. :P

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708558 by ThatNikonGuy
Dang, that puts things in check really fast!  :rofl:

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708575 by Nikon Shooter
The D850 has 14,7 stops of DR… worth the fuss? ​The D850 has
4,3 less MP… worth the fuss? Nikon has much better placed con-
trols and ergonomics. If Nikon brings out a D8XX with 60 MP, try
to stop me rushing to get hold of it — that would be a 33,3% in-
crease of the actual pixel count. Are Sony's 10% worth the fuss?

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #708577 by Piechura

Nikon Shooter wrote: The D850 has 14,7 stops of DR… worth the fuss? ​The D850 has
4,3 less MP… worth the fuss? Nikon has much better placed con-
trols and ergonomics. If Nikon brings out a D8XX with 60 MP, try
to stop me rushing to get hold of it — that would be a 33,3% in-
crease of the actual pixel count. Are Sony's 10% worth the fuss?

No, but 30fps shooting would be extremely important for some users. Silent shooting too. There are plenty of events that professional photographers go to now where silent shooting is all that's allowed. Basically they've created a camera where you don't have to choose between speed and resolution. I can imagine it'll be pretty good for shooting any sort of fast-moving animal too, depending on how well they've managed the electronic viewfinder. It's also on paper as good as the A7S3 as a video camera (although in reality, probably not quite as good for various reasons). But then it's over twice the price of the D850, so you'd expect all of these things. But that's not their competition. They've set their sights on the Canon 1DX.

3 years 2 months ago #708581 by TokyoInPics
If I had the spare money, I'd be eyeing my Fujifilm and wondering how I could explain a new camera system to my wife ... /gulp.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024