How to fix corrupt memory card?

3 years 1 month ago #712523 by Lisa Brookhurst
I have a 32GB micro SD card that when placed in computer gives error "card is unreadable by this computer" or something like that.  I have tried to put the card back in my drone, but the drone doesn't see it either.  I was hoping it be seen and I could reformat it.  But not seeing how this is possible.  

Any ideas or is this a lost cause?  

3 years 1 month ago #712525 by Nikon Shooter

Lisa Brookhurst wrote: Any ideas?  

I guess your best resource would be your instruction manual, Lisa.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #712545 by fmw
If your device won't format it, then it is shot.  That would also explain why your computer wouldn't read it.

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #712546 by CharleyL
Because it's worthless, unless you can find a way to fix it, I would try reformatting it in the PC. Pick a selection that low level reformats it, not quick reformat. It will find and flag any defective areas. Then put it in your drone and it should be recognized, but need reformatting by the drone. After the reformatting, your card should work again, less the bad sectors with the problem. 

At the present cost of memory cards, I wouldn't put much faith in this card anymore, and would just replace it with a new one, if desperate to get the card working until it can be replaced, the above method might get it useable again. It could be a permanent fix, but maybe not. I consider my photo data to be much more valuable than the price of these cards.

Charley 

3 years 4 weeks ago #712614 by Lisa Brookhurst
Crap, seriously?  

3 years 4 weeks ago #712680 by CharleyL
You could pay to have data recovered from it, but it's expensive, and I have not been successful at this using several different low cost programs. Sending it out for recovery gets cost prohibitive very quickly, and may not recover very much. To me, the cheapest and best solution is just to replace the card. At todays prices, I would never try to use a card that developed problems again, even if it could be reformatted. Buy another card is the cheapest and best solution.

Charley

3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #712780 by TCav
I've been able to reformat cards using the Disk Management portion of the Computer Management app available under Windows Administrative Tools menu, then format it in the device.

If you can't use the card any other way, what have you got to lose?

But keep in mind that if the card gets to this point, and you are able to bring it back to life, you REALLY shouldn't trust it for anything important.

The following user(s) said Thank You: CharleyL
3 years 3 weeks ago #712812 by Kenya See
Good post TCav!  I have a couple cards, from the last few years that have taken the same fate as OP.  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 weeks ago #712887 by Chester Foster
Buy a new one

3 years 3 weeks ago #712888 by fmw
Some advice. Memory cards are not suitable for storing images long term.  They are temporary holders of the data until you can get the images into a computer.  I buy the smallest size I can find (currently 8G.)  I load them into the computer after the day's shooting and then reformat them.  Smaller sizes are more reliable.  Understanding that they are temporary storage devices is important.

I keep my images on a NAS (network attached storage) that backs itself up.  When memory cards fail, I just toss them and put in a new one.

Photo Comments
3 years 3 weeks ago #713007 by Owen
:agree:  memory cards are so cheap, just buy new.  

Photo Comments
3 years 3 weeks ago #713111 by EOS Man
Exactly, just pick up a new one

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
3 years 1 week ago #714364 by Uplander
So what happened here?  

Photo Comments
3 years 1 week ago #714385 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

A few years ago we had a memory card fail where we absolutely must get the images back. Our favourite son graduating from university with his PhD

A local card security agency advised that they "would try" - it would involve opening up the SD card, manually reconnecing circuits to their equipment and then "they would see what they could get"

We were asked for a $1000 deposit for their time and if it went well, we might get a refund of some of it

The Senior Finance Manager told me that she would go elsewhere and try for an image from someone else's camera ~ where she found a copy of the lad receiving his certificate :P

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 1 week ago #714420 by Office Guy
Card goes bad today, just replace it.  I don't buy the largest cards, never have.  I buy middle of the road size, making it cost efficient to replace when needed. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024