How close can I get before a 50mm lens distorts a model's features?

3 years 1 week ago #714568 by iKokomo
I was wondering what the ideal distance I should be from my model for shooting portraits with a 50mm lens. I know if I am too far away, the background is not blurry, but if I am too close, the features are distorted. I was wondering what the "closest" I can get to my model before the face becomes distorted? Thanks!

3 years 1 week ago #714575 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

What "used to be" norms for faces have often disappeared with the media's frenzy for using wide-angle lenses stuck up the noses of politicians ~ and we have become used to seeing it

The old rule-of-thumb related to the vertical height comparison in that a person's nose was about the same as their ear ... and when you were too close the nose 'grew' too large.

This led to many 'togs using the 85mm lens (in FF cameras) and setting a minimum subject distance of about 1,5m / 5ft. With the 50mm on your APS camera, the image size will be much the same as above, so maybe the 1,5m / 5ft will apply as well. It will need some experimentation from you ~ and your model :)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 1 week ago #714577 by Nikon Shooter

iKokomo wrote: I know if I am too far away, the background is not blurry

You know?

Three points will have a direct effect on the "bokehliciousness" of a shot:
  1. aperture
  2. closer focusing distance
  3. distance between subject and BG.
Add them up and the effect will be great… now you know. :P

iKokomo wrote: I was wondering what the "closest" I can get to my model before the face becomes distorted?

It is not only the face, the body too.
Standing? Mid thigh up.
Sitting with bent knees? The whole figure.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 1 week ago #714693 by fmw
Actually it isn't lenses that distort perspective.  It is the camera to subject difference.  Shorter lenses are used closer and longer lenses are used further away.   Hence changes in perspective.  If you can get a long lens to focus as close as a normal lens, the perspective will be the same.  Only the magnification will differ.

Photo Comments
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #714724 by TCav
Perspective distortion results from the camera to subject distance where the ratio of the distance to the nose is very different from the distance to the ears. If you're too close, the nose will appear disproportionately larger than the ears.

In general, head-and-shoulders portraits should be taken at a focal length of from 85 mm to 135 mm, on a 'Full Frame' body, in order to compose the portrait, so you'll be sufficiently distant to avoid the kind of perspective distortion you're trying to avoid.

3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 6 days ago #714954 by TCav
You should also consider the intended audience. If the portrait is intended for people who would meet the subject face-to-face, then (a 35 mm equivalent focal length of) 85 to 135 mm is fine, but if the subject is routinely viewed on television or behind a podium, you should use a longer lens so as to create an image that the audience will better recognize.

2 years 11 months ago #716993 by Jon East
I use a 50mm and find the lens super useful, but I've been able to get close, but honestly haven't tried closer than ~3'.  Works fine for me. 

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717018 by TCav
A 50mm lens on an APS-C body is ok for portraits, but on a 'Full Frame' body you'll get too much perspective distortion in a head and shoulders portrait.

2 years 11 months ago #717126 by Kenta
:agree:   so true, but then again, the 50mm on DX is ~75mm right?

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717127 by Nikon Shooter

Kenta wrote: :agree:   so true, but then again, the 50mm on DX is ~75mm right?

No, NOT right!

It will have the same focal length but only the centre of the image will
be captured… giving rendering a different angle of view. Nothing else.

Mind you, the expected distortion will then appear less problematic.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024