Whats the best camera for birding?

2 years 11 months ago #714612 by Scuba Mike
If budget wasn't an issue, which camera and single lens would you buy if you wanted to photograph birds?  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714618 by Nikon Shooter
In my experience, a P&S — or something that will behave closest to that
once configured to perform in that way..

For wildlife, I use the D810 and D850 — because I work in the publishing
industry where DR and high MP are a must. If you don't need more than
recordings of species, the D750, D780 and even the D500 (DX) are good
candidates.

Bodies are just tools so defining the task will lead you to the right one.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714692 by fmw
You should buy the longest and fastest lens you can afford and carry, a sturdy tripod and head and whichever camera fits on the back of the lens.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714726 by TCav
For best results, you should get a camera with an optical viewfinder, which rules out Mirrorless and P&S cameras, as the electronic viewfinder introduces a delay in presenting the composition to you. (This is especially important for birds in flight.)

For lenses, something longer than (a 35mm equivalent focal length of) 300mm would work best, the upper limit depending on how heavy a lens you are prepared to haul around.

2 years 11 months ago #714733 by peterock33
I like the Canon 7DmkII with a 100-400 lens.  The auto focus is superb, plus the crop sensor gives you that extra reach.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714750 by Nikon Shooter

peterock33 wrote: … plus the crop sensor gives you that extra reach.

Peter, you never said that… I didn't read this, impossible!

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714754 by peterock33
Haha, I knew someone would mention something about this.... I know it's still 400mm.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714784 by TCav

peterock33 wrote: ... plus the crop sensor gives you that extra reach.

Ditto. Thanks for mentioning that.

Going 'Full Frame' doesn't really give you much in the way of improved image quality (only about a stop less noise and a stop better dynamic range), and it reduces the Depth of Field, which can hurt, especially for what you want to do. It also adds bulk, weight and cost, all of which can be better invested elsewhere. Plus there's the benefit of the crop factor as peterock33 has pointed out.

2 years 11 months ago #714802 by TCav
For a really small, light weight kit, you might want to look at 4/3. Panasonic and Olympus both have 100-400 mm zooms. With a crop factor of ~2, that would be a great setup for birding, if not for the electronic viewfinder.

2 years 11 months ago #714805 by fmw

TCav wrote:

peterock33 wrote: ... plus the crop sensor gives you that extra reach.

Ditto. Thanks for mentioning that.

Going 'Full Frame' doesn't really give you much in the way of improved image quality (only about a stop less noise and a stop better dynamic range), and it reduces the Depth of Field, which can hurt, especially for what you want to do. It also adds bulk, weight and cost, all of which can be better invested elsewhere. Plus there's the benefit of the crop factor as peterock33 has pointed out.

I agree that the full frame is not that big a deal in terms of image quality when compared to APS-C.  I would like to correct a couple of other comments, though.  Format has nothing to do with depth of field.  DOF is affected by aperture, lens focal length and camera to subject distance.  It would be accurate to say that in order to get the same angle of view on the full frame camera a longer lens would be required and that would affect DoF.  But the format doesn't affect that.

There is no benefit from crop factor.  You can achieve the same thing with a larger format camera by by cropping the image in the post process.  Crop factor does provide for lighter and cheaper lenses because the image circle is smaller but that is about as close as you can get to a benefit.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714809 by Nikon Shooter

fmw wrote: There is no benefit…

Right.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714820 by Shadowfixer1

Scuba Mike wrote: If budget wasn't an issue, which camera and single lens would you buy if you wanted to photograph birds?  

Don't believe everything you read. Mirrorless can and does work.
  Sony A1 & Sony 200-600 First Impressions Part 1 - Alpha One 4k 120fps Footage - YouTube
2 years 11 months ago #714821 by TCav

fmw wrote: I would like to correct a couple of other comments, though.  Format has nothing to do with depth of field.  DOF is affected by aperture, lens focal length and camera to subject distance.  It would be accurate to say that in order to get the same angle of view on the full frame camera a longer lens would be required and that would affect DoF.  But the format doesn't affect that.

An APS-C sensor paired with a 100mm lens with an aperture of f/16 focused at 100 feet has a total DoF of over 3500 feet.
A 'Full Frame' sensor paired with a 150mm lens, with the same aperture and focus distance has a total DoF of less than 300 feet.

2 years 11 months ago #714841 by Nikon Shooter

TCav wrote: An APS-C sensor paired with a 100mm lens with an aperture of f/16 focused at 100 feet has a total DoF of over 3500 feet.
A 'Full Frame' sensor paired with a 150mm lens, with the same aperture and focus distance has a total DoF of less than 300 feet.

… and?

Too many parameters and not described in this statement
to represent or suggest any conclusive postulate.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714926 by fmw

TCav wrote:

fmw wrote: I would like to correct a couple of other comments, though.  Format has nothing to do with depth of field.  DOF is affected by aperture, lens focal length and camera to subject distance.  It would be accurate to say that in order to get the same angle of view on the full frame camera a longer lens would be required and that would affect DoF.  But the format doesn't affect that.

An APS-C sensor paired with a 100mm lens with an aperture of f/16 focused at 100 feet has a total DoF of over 3500 feet.

Yes lens focal length is one of three things affecting DoF as I said above.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024