How far do you take your photos in editing?

2 years 11 months ago #714678 by Addicted2Photos
Whats funny is that this post was on a Facebook and it had some super interesting and entertaining answers.  Going to post here and see what sort of responses come in.  

Are you purist or one who will color outside the lines?

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no editing and 10 representing full on do what it takes, where would you rate yourself?  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #714679 by Nikon Shooter
As far as it must go but only but no more than necessary in terms
of good taste and creativity.

For example, I never use extra contrast, sharpening, saturation or
vibrance but I allow myself to be strict with WB and tonal control;
the first is pure technique and the second in tune with my artistic
intent.

I don't believe in purism since a long time but I believe in artistic
intent and in good taste — I know… very subjective.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714727 by TCav
Define "full on do what it takes".

If you captured a decent image in the first place, you probably shouldn't need much post, if at all. If you're trying to correct all the bad choices you made prior to pushing the shutter button, then you might need to go "full on".

2 years 11 months ago #714729 by Pete Franko
Eh 6-7 I would put myself.  It all depends on the photo

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714852 by Ontherocks
Hmmmm, 7 only because I don't have the skills to do a 10 when needed.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714937 by ThatNikonGuy
Good question, but it really depends on the photo.  Some are a 1, others are a train wreck and need more attention.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #714963 by peterock33

ThatNikonGuy wrote: Good question, but it really depends on the photo.  Some are a 1, others are a train wreck and need more attention.  

Ans still others make good candidates for experimentation.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #714966 by Nikon Shooter

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715195 by CharleyL
I too rarely do more than brightness or tonal level adjustments to photos that I take, but I sometimes do extensive editing, usually for composite work or to restore damaged photos for clients. I once owned a retouching/restoration business, but sold it when I began having some significant health issues. I can still do it, but my interests are more in my own work and less working for others now.

Charley

2 years 11 months ago #715196 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day A2P

I'm with NS and TCav here
personally (and as I do no commercial work as NS does)
a) if I cannot get the image "right" in the camera I have failed as a photographer, and
b) I have a rough home rule called the "35-second rule" where if I cannot fine tune the ooc-JPG image within 35 seconds it gets erased

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 11 months ago #715209 by Carlos
Middle of the road for me, but then it all depends on how much is needed

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024