Best lens ever made?

2 years 11 months ago #716184 by Randall McNabb
My photography meetup group, which BTW is still doing zoom meetings, had a discussion yesterday that had no conclusion.  "Best lens ever made".  

Do you have an opinion on this?  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716192 by Nikon Shooter

Randall McNabb wrote: "Best lens ever made".  Do you have an opinion on this?  

This discussion is equivalent to 9yo kids about who stronger "Batman or Superman"?

Such questions started loosing relevancy with the industrialisation of productions and
are of no interest since 
  • the development of CAD to take all the guessing work out of the equation 
  • and the creativity of the engineers.
CAD or CAT — stands for "computer assisted design" or "computer assisted technologies" 

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #716205 by peterock33
I thought,  "Best for what application?"

Nikon Shooter wrote:  who stronger "Batman or Superman"? 

By the way NS, haha, Superman is stronger.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716208 by Nikon Shooter

peterock33 wrote: By the way NS, haha, Superman is stronger.

Wait until tomorrow — my Batman shirt and socks are in the
laundry for now — we will debate this between men!  :nunu:

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716213 by peterock33

Nikon Shooter wrote:  — we will debate this between men!  :nunu:

Haha, oh NS, you are a funny boy.... by the way I'm wearing my Superman cape right now.:rofl:

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716346 by Rick Larin
Best lens?  No idea.  But if I were to guess which focal length had the most utility?  24-70mm.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716538 by TCav
Best lens ever? I vote for the Sigma 70mm 2.8 DG Macro (no longer in production.)

2 years 11 months ago #716539 by TCav
According to DxOMark, the top lens they've tested is the Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG HSM A.

On their list of top 5 lenses , the next four are from Zeiss.

2 years 11 months ago #716625 by Scuba Mike
OMG 85mm is such the most versatile focal length if you want my 2 cents

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716835 by fmw
I have no way to answer the OP but I will comment on some of my own lenses

Best Nikkor - 17mm f2.8, not a speck of barrel distortion
Worst Nikkor  - 43-86 zoom, never recommended by me.
Best overall lens for 35mm cameras - Leica 35mm f2.8, absolutely stunning perfomance
Worst overall lens for 35mm cameras - Sun Zoom for Pentax K, I don't even remember the zoom range
Best of the best - Schneider 135mm f5.6 for 4X5 view cameras.  If resolution is your thing, this is the gorilla in the room.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716906 by Ben Vanderbilt
70-200mm f/2.8!  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716912 by Nikon Shooter
At this point and since some 12 years, I got myself 16 lenses — from
14 mm to 600mm where many are zooms — that perform quite well,
thank you… of course, all Nikon's.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024