Northern lights in Alaska in June?

2 years 11 months ago #716269 by No Show
I know the best times is from August till April, but can you still see them in June in Alaska?  

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716434 by Prago
The challenge is that Alaska has very long days, you need nice pitch black skies for Northern lights.  You might luck out, but I don't think that's the best time to head there.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716507 by WCaswell93
We're thinking of going to Alaska on New Years Eve..... Thanks for the tip!

2 years 11 months ago #716546 by Randy Shaw
How accessible is northern Alaska?  I've watched those Ice Trucker shows and that looks pretty REMOTE up there.  But isn't northern Alaska going to be the best spot?  Some day.  But OP, I have no clue on time frame.  Just know I would totally jump on a trip to Alaska.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #716567 by peterock33

No Show wrote: can you still see them in June in Alaska?  

The northern lights in June in Alaska are a 'no show'.

Prago wrote: Alaska has very long days.  You might luck out.  

The days are very long.... you won't luck out.  I spent one summer working up there and was just amazed (I was in the Yukon at about the same latitude as Anchorage).  In June (when a sunny day is almost 20 hours long), you could sit outside all night, and still read a book comfortably.  The sun follows a path slightly less parallel than the horizon, so when it finally dips below it, the path becomes literally parallel, then sunrise begins.  If you love golden hour and blue hour, you'll have it for hours here.  When you get farther north another few hundred miles (approximately half way up the main body of the state), the sun travels along the horizon all day long, never rising, never setting. The farther north you go, the longer the 24 hour-a-day sun lasts. It is something that really needs to be experienced.

WCaswell93 wrote: We're thinking of going to Alaska on New Years Eve.

If you are seeking the northern lights, you picked a great time to go.  If you are also planning to see all the mountain scenery, you will have very short days. The complete reverse applies for winter.  In the south half of Alaska, the sun just peeks over the horizon.... you'll have your sunrise and sunset together and back into the dark for another 20 hours.

Randy Shaw wrote: How accessible is northern Alaska? 
I've watched Ice Trucker shows, looks pretty REMOTE. 
Isn't northern Alaska the best spot? 
I would totally jump on a trip to Alaska.  

It's pretty accessible.... if you have a plane and lots of fuel.  As far as I recall, there's only one road to the Arctic Ocean in Alaska to Prudhoe Bay, and one other in the Yukon to Tuktoyaktuk.  I was part way up that road from Dawson City one Saturday and only saw one vehicle.  There's another road from Dawson into Alaska (Top of the World Highway)(summer only back then)  and it was also very sparse.  If you like remote, Alaska and northern Canada are very remote.   I don't know the really best spot for viewing, but Fairbanks Alaska, claims to be "world renowned for aurora viewing". I was never there in winter, but I'll bet it's a fabulous spot for this.
You said you would "totally jump" at a chance to see Alaska.... GO!  It will be a trip you will never forget.  Tallest mountains in North America, glaciers everywhere along all the coast mountains, wildlife, lakes, nature.... if that's what you like, you will LOVE the Yukon and Alaska.  If you go there once, you'll go back to see more.... it happened to me.

Don't forget to bring your camera.:P

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716711 by Carry
Can't these be seen from lower part of Canada? 

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716744 by peterock33

Carry wrote: Can't these be seen from lower part of Canada? 

Yes, they are also visible lower down, but not a well as up north. They can be very mesmerizing to watch dancing in the night sky.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716817 by CharleyL
I was only in Alaska once, on a service call back when I was a factory service rep for a printing press manufacturer. It was in mid January back in 1999. I was in Anchorage for 2 nights and one day. I landed in the dark, spent the night in the hotel, and went to work the next morning, still in the dark. At noon there was a slight glow on the horizon, but that was it for the Sunshine. I flew out the next morning, still in the dark. If I remember correctly, the temperature never went above minus 10 F in the afternoon and it was way colder at night. Whenever there was no Sunlight at all, the Northern lights could be seen in the absolutely clear sky above, and they were quite impressive. I wish I had been able to take a camera with me, but already had too much to carry and I never got the chance to go back there.

Charley

2 years 11 months ago #716928 by Ruby Grace
Alaska has some of the most impressive landscapes to photograph, but northern lights are light sensitive, with brighter summer months, this will cut down what you can see.  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717622 by Pete Franko
Might be tough to photograph with all the ambient light 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024