Your favorite place to shop for camera and equipment

2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #718920 by Dan-BeechCreek
If you are like me, you may have bought your camera equipment from a variety of places. But if you could shop only at one place, where would it be and why? For me, it would be B&H. Because of their customer service.

2 years 10 months ago #718921 by Nikon Shooter
I repeat my students:
"Take the time to build a relation with your local store."

Thirty years ago, I bought films quite a few times per week. They get
to know you and develop a pride to have you as a client and always
make sure to watch your back when needed.

Of course, they should merit your trust.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #718989 by TCav
Adorama. Their selection and prices for new gear are resonable and their selection of used gear is pretty good too.

I've been put off of B&H by stories like this one:

nypost.com/2016/02/25/bh-forced-hispanic...arate-bathroom-feds/

2 years 10 months ago #718994 by Nikon Shooter
That's no good.  :nunu:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #718997 by Shadowfixer1
Adorama is who I've used lately. We don't have any B&M camera stores in Atlanta anymore. Closest to that would be a Best Buy and the selection is limited.
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #719018 by TCav
I've used Ritz Camera in the past. Before they (along with Wolf Camera) went belly-up in 2012, the headquarters was here in Beltsville, MD. (The street is still named 'Ritz Way'.) That store always had an amazing selection. They had a Minolta 600mm f/4 lens on display. The story was that someone walked in, saw that lens, bought it, and then asked what camera he could use it with.

The website is still up, but it's not operated by the same people, and all it's brick 'n' mortar stores are gone or were sold off.

2 years 10 months ago #719115 by Photo Amigo
These days Amazon

2 years 10 months ago #719122 by Screamin Scott
My money gets spread around. Where depends on who has what I want (normally used) in stock at a reasonable price. I just bought an Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO M.Zuiko lens last night from KEH... They are only online or over the phone. As Randy said, there are few camera stores in and around Atlanta anymore, and what few there are, are a considerable distance away...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719145 by Shadowfixer1

Screamin Scott wrote: My money gets spread around. Where depends on who has what I want (normally used) in stock at a reasonable price. I just bought an Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO M.Zuiko lens last night from KEH... They are only online or over the phone. As Randy said, there are few camera stores in and around Atlanta anymore, and what few there are, are a considerable distance away...

The 12-40 is my work horse lens. Keep in mind the focus clutch. If you aren't used to it, it will trip you up from time to time. One of the first things I do when I take the camera out of the bag is check the focus clutch.
2 years 10 months ago #719146 by Screamin Scott
I thought the camera (upscale models) show an "MF" in the viewfinder when it is engaged...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #719151 by CharleyL
Much of what I've been buying in this past few years has been through Amazon. It's about 35 miles to my nearest 'still open" camera store. It's a nice place and they have almost everything, but getting there and through the traffic near them just usually isn't worth the effort. If I could get there easily, I would be there much more often. 

I prefer being able to see and touch expensive items before buying, so I'm willing to drive up to about 100 miles round trip to buy these, but then you get there and they don't have it, even if they told you that they did on the phone an hour before you got there. There was a time when mail order catalogs prided themselves on doing good write-ups of the details of items that they had for sale to help you make a good decision. Now, even Amazon is guilty of giving you almost nothing to make a good decision on. Dimensions, if they are given, are frequently wrong or in millimeters not inches, or inches not millimeters. Descriptions are frequently wrong or written by someone who does not have full grasp of the English language, etc. They could significantly reduce the number of returns if they would just do better on the descriptions, but they don't seem to care.

Charley

2 years 10 months ago #719153 by Shadowfixer1

Screamin Scott wrote: I thought the camera (upscale models) show an "MF" in the viewfinder when it is engaged...

It does, but almost everyone has been caught a time or two wondering why their camera isn't focusing. 
2 years 10 months ago #719196 by peterock33
Whenever possible, and depending on who has what, I like to purchase locally.  It's nice to be known at the few stores that are left.  As NS said, they seem to be more attentive to your needs and go out of their way to give that more personal help.  Also, I like to hold and handle anything I plan on purchasing.... no pictures can replace that.  I feel sad when I see another camera shop shutting down.

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719209 by Screamin Scott
I've read that the feature can be turned off in the menu system of the upscale models

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719219 by Shadowfixer1

Screamin Scott wrote: I've read that the feature can be turned off in the menu system of the upscale models

Yes, you can turn it off but I find it valuable.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024