Why do photographers talk about gear so much?

2 years 10 months ago #719249 by Gammill
I went on a photo walk this morning with a local photography Meetup group.  22 people showed up.  As we walking down this nature trail, I decided to shut up and just listen to what people were talking about.  I kid you not, as I walked around nearly everyone was talking about gear.  Either what they were looking to buy, their current gear, so and so's camera, etc..  I did come across one person who just spoke about politics the entire morning.  But aside from him, everyone just kept talking about gear.  

:huh:

This was my first time joining this group.  Kind of turned off about the constant gear chatter.   Are all groups like this?  

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719258 by Nikon Shooter
If you buy mittens for the kitchen, it is pretty straight forward:one size fit all and make sure the colour is right! :rofl:

Gear is something very different. The evolution goes at a faster
pace all the time, quite nothing fits or pleases all, etc. Most of
the time, it is a heavy investment worth considering and there
is the pleasure to talk and share in given communities.

I am sure that if there was a kitchen mittens group, one would
only hear about those.  :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719265 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Gammill

I've been involved with various camera clubs / photographic enthusiast groups since the 1960s - and the answer is a bit of "yes and no". As with any diverse group of people some will (shall we say) talk to the left - others to the right

The trick - if I could call it that - is to listen as you have done, and find the person / sub-group who talk the talk you want to become part of ... the photographic-art people shall we call them. The alternative is for you to start talking (loudly if need-be) about your interests and bring people to your sub-group. It works! - and it is something that I have done many times over the years

Another way of establishing 'your' sub-group is to ask a 'big' question and have others come to you with answers / information. Then you keep them close and create that sub-group along the way

Hope this helps

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 10 months ago #719407 by Patrick G
Got me, some people are just wired that way.  I just change the subject when someone doesn't shut up about gear.  

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719457 by peterock33
A camera club is a club centred around camera gear.... it's the number one reason people join these clubs.  It only stands to reason that the main topic of conversation is camera gear related.  No one would join who wasn't interested in cameras and photography, and let's face it, it is a pretty interesting subject.  Just like joining a photography website.  It is because of the gear.  The main topic of conversation in this and any other camera site, is about photography.  After that common denominator, other various interest begin popping up and new friendships are born.... just like the non-photo related sections in our forum here.  Also, I think gear is just a lesser part of it all.... techniques and photo displays take up a bigger slice of the pie. 

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719610 by Pete Franko
LOL honestly, never understood this either.  But then again, gear pride is overboard for some.  

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719637 by Hassner
After working with cameras all my life, still on manual, only my eyes needed to upgrade to autofocus. Luckily that was standard by then.
I know what you mean. It is not the smooth journey that impresses me, but the destination. (End result, photo.) 
What inspires you, where do you get your inspiration from. That way we are all wired differently. 
I had a club in my previous town. Our discussions was on end results. Equipment was only discussed if the photo lacked the vision. 
The “what car do you drive/dream about” talks are not stimulating my creative juices. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #719660 by Justin Cramer
Yeah, most I know are the same.  Gear is only an afterthought to support how a shot was taken.  You did get the occasional odd ball that will break trend and just nonstop talk about gear. 

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #719661 by Justin Cramer
OH, and why?  Got me.  :rofl:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024