Have you ever jumped from one camera brand to another?

2 years 9 months ago #720881 by Eli Clark
I really have enjoyed my Nikons, however have been wanting to get more into video.  Latey, I feel Sony and Canon have more going on with hybrid cameras that are more balanced with stills and video.  

Now of course moving to another brand, is essentially starting over.  Have you ever jumped brands, if so, what caused you to do so?

2 years 9 months ago #720882 by db3348
Hi Eli

I  jumped from Nikon to Canon  when I went digital ,  because :
a)  At the time Nikon  didn't even offer a full-frame model,  and  that criterion was one of my major deal makers / breakers, 
b) I had been getting progressively less impressed with  Nikon Australia's servicing of my Nikon film cameras,
c) Canon  offered a more suitable range of lenses for  my "style" and subject preferences .

If  I  ever decide to get a mirrorless camera ,  ironically ,  I  may  end  up  going back to Nikon because  I  have  been more impressed  with  Nikon's Z system than Canon's R system .

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720884 by Nikon Shooter
I was a Nikon shooter in film times. I waited long enough to switch
to digital until the D3S as my first move. Then the D3X and others
followed.

So… nope, I think it will be Nikon for ever! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720885 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

… and it won't be a mirrorless. Ever!

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720921 by Eli Clark
Really?  But isn't everything moving towards mirrorless? 

2 years 9 months ago #720931 by Nikon Shooter
That's the hype these days, in my eye the same as it was with the Wankle
engins in the NSU of the 70s. Hypes are quite dangerous when one has not
counter views to oppose influencers' loud noises. In a stagnent market, no-
thing is better for the industrial economy than new tendencies and this is
where hypes weight in.

At this point, I don't see much more than very marginal benefits over the
dSLR system in minor aspects and major flaws in others. 

If you want to invest in new gear, stores have not much new to offer than
the newer stuff… if they want to sell.

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720955 by TCav
Sometimes a few times during the course of a single day!

2 years 9 months ago #720964 by Prago
Nope, never needed too.  Or wanted to rather.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #720971 by TCav
I like the in body image stabilization of the Sony A77 II and the Pentax KP, but I hate the electronic viewfinder of the Sony, and don't have the appropriate lenses for the Pentax, so I use the Nikon. Other times I like the panorama feature of the Sony, and other times I like the non-anti-aliasing of the Pentax.

They all use the same Sony 24MP APS-C sensor, so I'm confident in the image quality regardless of the camera I use.

I am pleased to have a number of tools in my arsenal, and that I can pick and choose as the need arises, and am please to not be limited by the compromises others have made.

Something that I used to say frequently that doesn't get said often enough here is this: The Lens is the thing. Find the lens that will do what you want, and get the camera that you can use it on. Pretty much everything else is noise.

2 years 9 months ago #721049 by Andrew AG
Can't say I have, no interest either.  

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #721050 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Eli

As others above have mentioned - there are many reasons for and against changing cameras / lens mounts

For me (being a 'real old fella') my first SLR back in the 60s was a Pentax, screw thread lens mount, it was "okay" and one of the big names, but I soon found it was missing many features on other screw-thread bodies - so went to Ricoh - then to Ricoh "K" mount and stayed there for a decade or two

My first digital was a Fuji superzoom, a wonderful camera back in 2003 and it had features not found on the film cameras - including the (NS dreaded) EVF. I soon dicovered that the image results were substantially better than the EVF displayed ... and that unit worked for me until the on-off switch started playing up 96,000 images later

By then Panasonic had come out with a larger sensor superzoom - so I got it and loved it ~ and I am still using Panny cameras today

The EVF today is brilliant in what it can do for me, the fully articulated rear screen is one of its best features and the barrage of magic features inside the camera and an easy-to-follow menu system means that I will be very-very unlikely to move away from Panny in the future

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 9 months ago #721067 by Sawyer
Came close a few years ago, thought the grass would be greener for me, but decided to stay put.  Does that count?  ha ha ha

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #721236 by Garbo
Been tempted, but never pulled the trigger.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #721242 by Shadowfixer1
I have a couple of times. I began with Pentax, way back in the film days and later added Minolta to my kit when autofocus came out. I shot both until selling them and switching to Nikon when the F100 came out. I added a Minolta Dimage 7 around 2002. I used those two until the Nikon based Fuji S2-Pro came out. I ended up selling all the bodies except for the Minolta and ordered a Nikon D200 when it was announced. I added an Olympus EM-10 to my kit as a travel camera but it became my main camera as I never picked up the Nikon after that. I sold all my Nikon gear and upgraded to the EM1 Mark I and later to the EM1 Mark II which I currently use. I was going to switch to a Sony A7III and owned it for about a week but the lenses I wanted were not available at that time so I sent it back and upgraded to the EM1 Mark II as I had a trip coming up so I needed a body since I had sold my EM1 Mark 1. I still have the old Minolta Dimage 7 and it still works. I have entertained the idea of going with Fuji and the X-Pro 3 but it's a little pricey. The new Nikon Zfc looks appealing as well. Shame it isn't full frame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozzie_Traveller
2 years 9 months ago #721364 by Zach Mosher
Yeah, I'm another boring one. No changes here.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024