Self portraits when you don't have a front facing LCD?

1 week 4 days ago #721046 by Andrew AG
I need some self portraits and don't have a front facing LCD.  What can I do to get a proper portrait framed up here?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 3 days ago - 1 week 3 days ago #721064 by Nikon Shooter
None of my gear has such a screen!

I would not dare risking pointing it back at me! :rofl:

Use a stand for prefocus and frame loosely.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 week 3 days ago #721125 by CharleyL
How about a mirror placed several feet behind the camera - Cheap and easy. Not so cheap is a monitor connected to the HDMI port of your camera. Of course, a remote trigger for the camera would help, but a delayed shutter would let you get into position before it triggers the shutter.

Charley

1 week 2 days ago - 1 week 2 days ago #721147 by hghlndr6
See my avatar.  I shot that without a front-facing screen.   Here's how:

• Sitting in a chair between background and tripod-mounted camera.
• One bounced continuous light -- camera right, high.
• Measured distance from camera's focal plane to bridge of nose.
• Manual mode, manual focus.
• Set focus as close to that measured distance as you can and set aperture to achieve DOF focus on face but not on background. (Adjust camera to subject distance and/or subject to background distance to achieve that effect. If you need to adjust camera to subject distance, re-measure.)
• Put a grey card in the scene and meter that.
• Shutter release with IR remote trigger.
• As NS said, frame loosely ... and plan on cropping.

6 days 12 hours ago #721326 by Juan Anthony

hghlndr6 wrote: See my avatar.  I shot that without a front-facing screen.   Here's how:

• Sitting in a chair between background and tripod-mounted camera.
• One bounced continuous light -- camera right, high.
• Measured distance from camera's focal plane to bridge of nose.
• Manual mode, manual focus.
• Set focus as close to that measured distance as you can and set aperture to achieve DOF focus on face but not on background. (Adjust camera to subject distance and/or subject to background distance to achieve that effect. If you need to adjust camera to subject distance, re-measure.)
• Put a grey card in the scene and meter that.
• Shutter release with IR remote trigger.
• As NS said, frame loosely ... and plan on cropping.

:agree:   good advice 

Photo Comments

6 days 3 hours ago #721388 by TCav
Use your reflection in the lens.

6 days 2 hours ago #721389 by Shadowfixer1
There are mirrors available that fit into a hot shoe that will show the image on a tilted out LCD panel. If the screen doesn't tilt,  I'm not sure it works. I've never used one but I have seen it being used. See a James Popsys youtube. He has one.

5 days 15 hours ago - 5 days 15 hours ago #721416 by peterock33
Maybe you could get someone to take the shots for you.... unless you really are a "Lone Wolf".  :cheer:

Photo Comments

4 days 3 hours ago #721523 by Storz
Have my wife push the button :rofl:

3 days 2 hours ago #721611 by EOS Man
+1  have wife push the shutter

Set basketball where my portrait position will be, focus on that, set timer and go

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The FujiFilm X-T3 vs X-T4 debate is an interesting one - is the newer of the two the better option or should you save more money and go for the older one? Let's find out!

Jul 19, 2021

The Olympus PEN E-PL10 is a tiny camera, but it's loaded with features that make it a great option as an all-day camera for beginners and enthusiasts.

Jul 14, 2021

While the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 is eight years old, you might find that it still offers some specs and features that make it a worthy budget camera option for 2021.

Jul 13, 2021

While the Canon EOS-1D Mark III came out well over a decade ago, as a professional camera, it still offers plenty of features for photographers in 2021.

Jul 12, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Photography lights are an integral component of your workflow whether you work in the studio or on location. A soft panel LED will be a great addition!

Jul 22, 2021

Building a successful photography business means making smart investments with your time and money. Use this list to guide how you use both.

Jul 22, 2021

A house with bright windows poses challenges to photographers to get a well-exposed interior shot. Learn how to overcome that challenge in this tutorial.

Jul 20, 2021

If you need a good camera for real estate agents, look no further than these mirrorless and DSLR options from a variety of brands.

Jul 20, 2021

If you have damaged images and are wondering, "Can damaged photos be restored?", the answer is yes - in a variety of ways, too!

Jul 20, 2021

Taking photos of the night sky can seem daunting, but using the 500 rule can help you get pinpoint stars that fill the dark night sky.

Jul 20, 2021

Learning how to get good at photography is one thing, but learning it fast is another. With these tips, you'll be able to quickly improve your photos!

Jul 19, 2021

The FujiFilm X-T3 vs X-T4 debate is an interesting one - is the newer of the two the better option or should you save more money and go for the older one? Let's find out!

Jul 19, 2021