Do you have a problem shooting in the cold/wet weather?

2 years 8 months ago #721556 by Dan Lindgren
I know it's not cold and wet right now.  But in general, during winter months do you stay in when weather get's a little cold and wet?  

I attended a in person photographers Meetup yesterday, and one of the topics that came up was shooting out in wet and cold weather.  Personally I don't mind it, but apparently, most of the people in yesterdays meeting were.  I thought most would be all OK with getting out for the shot.  Regardless of weather.  Well within reason of course.  

2 years 8 months ago #721654 by Pat White
How much rain are we talking about here? If a little drizzle, yeah I'm OK with that.  Full on down pour, I'll stay inside with Netflix.  

2 years 8 months ago #721665 by Nikon Shooter
Life and the whole world go on in bad weather and a simple
plastic covering everything will give you pictures that can't
be experience on a couch. Sorry Pat!  :rofl:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 8 months ago #721669 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Dan - Pat

Not being a commercial photographer etc. I can afford to pick and choose a bit
The 'however' is the basic question - am I able to return here in better weather? -&/or- if I -do- go out today, will I get images different from the same-old / same-old that one gets on sunny days?

As to NS's response re- a plastic bag, yes I have used one years ago when in a desperate situation, but it is not something that I would otherwise enjoy :(

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 8 months ago #721679 by Nikon Shooter

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: re- a plastic bag, yes I have used one years ago when in a desperate situation, but it is not something that I would otherwise enjoy :(

Me neither. I was too reluctant to get a pro cover as I thought it was too
expensive for the number of times it is used.

You know what? I got myself three of those — S, M, and L, — and when,
things are getting ugly, I don't back down systematically. Rain, sand, dust,
and snow are not so much of a challenge anymore.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 8 months ago #721719 by KENT MELTON
Makes no difference to me.  If I'm feeling it, I'll go out regardless of the weather.  

Photo Comments
2 years 8 months ago #721757 by Jessy Page
I prefer heading out in the cooler weather vs warm heat.  When it's cold you can add layers to get warm.  When it's warm, you can do only so much to get comfortable.  

Photo Comments
2 years 7 months ago #722058 by Kenta
Not at all if I have a shot in mind that I'm after.  It's not preferred, but I'll do it.  

Photo Comments
2 years 7 months ago #722954 by Dan Lindgren

Pat White wrote: How much rain are we talking about here? If a little drizzle, yeah I'm OK with that.  Full on down pour, I'll stay inside with Netflix.  

Like a light drizzle or snow fall?

2 years 7 months ago #722973 by Ozzie_Traveller

Dan Lindgren wrote: ..... Like a light drizzle or snow fall?

Cold weather??? - for us Aussies ~ if I have to put long daks on + a jumper over my shorts & t-shirt, that's cold enough.  Snow and stuff like that .......................... geez mate - you can keep it up your way  :)

Phil

2 years 7 months ago #723068 by CharleyL
I just bought and received a rain coat for my camera. I have yet to actually try it out in a rain storm, but it looks to be quite well made. There are sleeves on both sides with draw strings to minimize the space around your wrists while reaching in to make adjustments, and they slope downward by design to keep the rain out when your hands aren't in them. The bottom center section has a left to right sleeve to sleeve double zipper across it, so it's easy to pull it over the camera while the camera is still attached to a tripod, The bottom double zipper can then be zipped up to as far as possible from both sides, with the tripod protruding through the remaining center unzipped part . A lens sleeve on the front lets you use about any lens up to 5-6" diameter and 9-10" long measured from camera face to lens hood, so on shorter lenses, it forms a kind-of fabric bellows to allow zooming. This sleeve has a dry but sticky rubber (like maybe silicone rubber) liner strip at the end to grip tightly to the lens barrel, and a Velcro cinch strap to be able to tighten this opening up around the lens. The whole back and top of this rain coat is clear, but flexible plastic, so you can easily see the whole back and top of the camera through it, and the inside space for the camera is huge. A Canon 1DX III would not be a tight fit. My 77D with the dual battery grip, Wireless Mic receiver, and audio mixer. don't come close to filling the inside space. 

This camera raincoat is made by Altura and sold by Amazon for about $20.  
amazon.com/gp/product/B004AH10K8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Again, I haven't actually used this camera rain coat yet, but it's a great comfort for me to have tried it on my cameras to be assured that will fit any of my cameras and lenses, and it will be waiting in my camera bag to use, if the occasion ever arises. 

Charley

Attachments:
2 years 7 months ago #723080 by KenMan
If I'm properly dressed, I would have no problem with going out in the rain or snow

Photo Comments
2 years 7 months ago #723093 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Charley

A most useful post - thanks for the info & image/s
Phil

The following user(s) said Thank You: CharleyL
2 years 7 months ago #723236 by Tim Kelley
Honestly, I prefer cold weather!

Photo Comments
2 years 7 months ago #723253 by Rick Larin
For the most part, no.  If we are talking hurricane downpour, yes, I'll stay in. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024