What are the advantages of having a smaller sensor in your camera?

2 years 3 months ago #729416 by Kate Stailey
Are there any?  Everyone is always talking about getting a full frame sensor.  So are there any reasons why you would want a smaller sensor?  

Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #729417 by Nikon Shooter
Set in smaller, cheaper bodies?
I don't see anything else!.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #729439 by Hassner
When you are into sport or wildlife photography, you do not need to buy longer, more expensive lenses. 
A 300mm on full frame becomes a 500mm equivalent on a crop sensor.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #729442 by Nikon Shooter
The crop factor is an AoV divider and NOT a focal length multiplier.
Any given focal length stays what it is on a crop sensor. This was a
sales pitch brought in by those behind counters… and is wrong.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #729443 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Kate

Within the world of digital photography we have sensors of many differing sizes ... from very small in-the-phone to the so-called Full-Frame and then the oversize (my word) for those very expensive pro-equipment items

I use Superzoom (also called bridge) cameras and they have a sensor of about 6mm x 8mm in size ... much smaller than the dSLR sensors of 18mm x 24mm. Simple maths will tell you that these sensors are 1/9th the area of the dSLR sensor. So two cameras of say, 20mpx will have pixels of a vastly different (but still microscopic) size

In practical terms, the 'very small sensor' cameras also come with smaller bits of glass on the front of the camera, therefore they are usually lighter as well, and make really beaut walk-around cameras.

As with all zoom lenses which alter their Angle-Of-View as they zoom, when one looks at two lenses covering the same angle of view, if one lens is for a Full-Frame - 35mm camera, the other is said as 'equivalent to' something in 35mm / FF terms.

So my Panasonic superzoom camera has a zoom lens whose AOV is stated as "equivalent to 24mm to 600mm" when compared with a 35mm film / Full-Frame digital camera ...... BUT the camera is small and light and yet it offers very sharp, clear images without involving a big heavy camera body plus a huge lens (sometimes jokingly referred to as a 2-litre coca-cola bottle) along with a good tripod to keep it all steady

The other side of the equation - as NS and others will point out - is for commercial photographers the equipment requirements are different from we 'weekender' photographers. A commercial photographer never knows when a customer will request a print of say, 2-metres wide, and for that they will need a large pixel size / large sensor to start with, so that the final print will have maximum clarity. So for that, they will use Full-Frame sensor equipment

For me, as a 'weekender' where 75% of the prints I make for display around the house are 8" x 12" with a few panos of 20" to 28" wide, the smaller sensor and excellent lenses of the Panasonic cameras provides me with more than enough sharpness

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 3 months ago #729451 by TCav
Smaller sensors can use smaller, lighter, simpler, cheaper lenses, but they are also less capable with regard to image noise and dynamic range.

'Full Frame' sensors are capable of providing the best image quality, but their lenses are big, heavy, complicated and expensive, few of which are capable of delivering on the promise of the sensor.

2 years 3 months ago #729504 by Sandy Smith Photos
Aren't smaller sensors supposed to have better stabilization?  

Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #729509 by TCav

Sandy Smith Photos wrote: Aren't smaller sensors supposed to have better stabilization?  

The mechanism required to physically stabilize an image sensor would be huge in comparison to the sensor itself, which is why most compact cameras and smartphones use what they call digital image stabilization, but in reality simply shortens the shutter speed while proportionally increasing the ISO. While this has the effect of lessening motion blur, it increases image noise, which it already has in abundance.

2 years 3 months ago #729515 by Hassner

Nikon Shooter wrote: The crop factor is an AoV divider and NOT a focal length multiplier.
Any given focal length stays what it is on a crop sensor. This was a
sales pitch brought in by those behind counters… and is wrong.

Technically wright or wrong, it still makes sense to me. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #729553 by Ozzie_Traveller

TCav wrote:

Sandy Smith Photos wrote: Aren't smaller sensors supposed to have better stabilization?  

The mechanism required to physically stabilize an image sensor would be huge in comparison to the sensor itself, which is why most compact cameras and smartphones use what they call digital image stabilization, but in reality simply shortens the shutter speed while proportionally increasing the ISO. While this has the effect of lessening motion blur, it increases image noise, which it already has in abundance.

= = = = =
EDIT
For Mods here
I have tried about 8-10 times to post this reply with text included - and it all disappears from view
I do not know what is going on but (as with NS in recent times) It does not seem to be correct operation for the site ( I could use stronger language )

I have created a new post in the 'support' thread
Phil
= = = = =

G'day mate

I don't know that this is correct ...
As I use my Panny cameras, I certainly enjoy the benefits of their OIS and it allows me to shoot very-long zoomed images with good clarity, even at (low) shutter speeds unheard of back in film camera days

Phil

2 years 3 months ago #729559 by TCav

Ozzie_Traveller wrote:

TCav wrote:

I don't know that this is correct ...
As I use my Panny cameras, I certainly enjoy the benefits of their OIS and it allows me to shoot very-long zoomed images with good clarity, even at (low) shutter speeds unheard of back in film camera days

I agree. I was talking about MOST compact cameras and smartphones.

2 years 3 months ago #729645 by No Show

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: G'day Kate

Within the world of digital photography we have sensors of many differing sizes ... from very small in-the-phone to the so-called Full-Frame and then the oversize (my word) for those very expensive pro-equipment items

I use Superzoom (also called bridge) cameras and they have a sensor of about 6mm x 8mm in size ... much smaller than the dSLR sensors of 18mm x 24mm. Simple maths will tell you that these sensors are 1/9th the area of the dSLR sensor. So two cameras of say, 20mpx will have pixels of a vastly different (but still microscopic) size

In practical terms, the 'very small sensor' cameras also come with smaller bits of glass on the front of the camera, therefore they are usually lighter as well, and make really beaut walk-around cameras.

As with all zoom lenses which alter their Angle-Of-View as they zoom, when one looks at two lenses covering the same angle of view, if one lens is for a Full-Frame - 35mm camera, the other is said as 'equivalent to' something in 35mm / FF terms.

So my Panasonic superzoom camera has a zoom lens whose AOV is stated as "equivalent to 24mm to 600mm" when compared with a 35mm film / Full-Frame digital camera ...... BUT the camera is small and light and yet it offers very sharp, clear images without involving a big heavy camera body plus a huge lens (sometimes jokingly referred to as a 2-litre coca-cola bottle) along with a good tripod to keep it all steady

The other side of the equation - as NS and others will point out - is for commercial photographers the equipment requirements are different from we 'weekender' photographers. A commercial photographer never knows when a customer will request a print of say, 2-metres wide, and for that they will need a large pixel size / large sensor to start with, so that the final print will have maximum clarity. So for that, they will use Full-Frame sensor equipment

For me, as a 'weekender' where 75% of the prints I make for display around the house are 8" x 12" with a few panos of 20" to 28" wide, the smaller sensor and excellent lenses of the Panasonic cameras provides me with more than enough sharpness

Hope this helps

:agree:   damn good post here.   

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024