Camera tracking security thing??

2 years 2 months ago #730482 by MYoung
I'm sorry I don't even know what this would be called.   Does someone make a security barcode thing, like what department stores use to track my camera in case it gets stolen?  Does someone make something like this? 

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730484 by Nikon Shooter
I don't know about a barcode but I know about the
new Apple AirTag.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #730485 by Nikon Shooter
ADDENDUM

The barcode would be a passive system where one must locate
the gear first — it is not lost anymore — and the barcode would
only confirm the owner.

The AirTag is an active location search device where your phone 
will track the stolen property in real time.

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730486 by Screamin Scott
I have seen items that attach to keys et al, but those would likely be easy to remove...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730487 by Screamin Scott

Nikon Shooter wrote: I don't know about a barcode but I know about the
new Apple AirTag.

One has to have certain Apple products in order to use the Air Tags and they can be removed rather easily...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730490 by Nikon Shooter

Screamin Scott wrote: … but those would likely be easy to remove...

Unless so overpoweringly dangerous, a good weapon is a concealed weapon.
It is the same with security and tracking devices… should be concealed.

AirTag

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730491 by Screamin Scott

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730501 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

News services around the world are alerting people to the double-sided nature of these Apple devices ... and police around the world area finding them being mis-used to track people - 90% women - while they are about their normal everyday business

While apple released the product in good faith, it seems that it will be yet another "new toy" that because it is mis-used by a small percentage overall, it will require redesign to comply with new legal requirements

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 2 months ago #730504 by Nikon Shooter
Gee! I was not aware of that stalking thing.

For the purpose it was made, the AirTag is working great! :)

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730505 by Nikon Shooter
I think I would not be a good "bad guy!"  :rofl:

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730510 by CharleyL
keep the serial numbers and register them, if possible. If stolen, make certain that you give the model and serial numbers to the police. If someone tries to pawn them, you may get lucky when the police pick them up and return them to you. If they end up being sold, Canon, and probably other companies where they are registered may get them for repair and then return them to the registered owner. Ifey, at best, but you have a chance at getting them back. 

To me, tracking tags aren't quite ready for open use yet. Better controls need to be in place first to protect the people involved and safeguard them from someone else tracking them.

Charley

2 years 2 months ago #730550 by Kate Stailey
+1 Apple Airtag.  I wouldn't be surprised that these things start becoming smaller and smaller from them as well.  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730551 by Nikon Shooter
I agree with smaller and I am sure Apple will come with
a parade for the stalking issue pretty soon.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024