Octopad base broke

2 years 3 months ago #730517 by Adam Nagle
Hey guys, I bought two Octopads (large and small) and one of the bases broke and I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this thing I'm sure is out of warranty.  Bone head move on my end, it dropped on angle and snapped the plate.  Can this be fixed?  

Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #730524 by Chester Foster
I would try hot glue.  Man you must have really dropped that!

2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #730530 by CharleyL
"Hot Glue" never hardens and does not bond very well. It's a "Temporary" glue.
Good hard drying epoxy would be my choice. If the surfaces to be joined are smooth, it helps to sand them enough to create scratches in the surfaces, because epoxy and most glues bond better to rough surfaces. A much more permanent solution.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if spares are available? I managed to get some replacement parts for a 24 year old tripod by contacting the manufacturer. It took a while, but I did get what I needed at a reasonable price. It was well worth doing.

Charley

2 years 3 months ago #730552 by Kate Stailey
Gorilla Glue will bond to anything

Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #730553 by CharleyL
"Gorilla Glue will bond to anything"

But not strong enough for this need. 

Charley

2 years 2 months ago #730668 by Dan Lindgren
Be sure to give the glue at least 24 hours to cure if you are applying on thick. 

2 years 2 months ago #730738 by Rick Larin
The problem with any of the glues is that the plastic base on these is smooth and won't give good surface for glue to stick over time.  Honestly, you are better off just buying a new one.  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730739 by Rick Larin

CharleyL wrote: "Gorilla Glue will bond to anything"

But not strong enough for this need. 

Charley

:agree:   

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730797 by Miss Polly
Agree, just buy a new one.  They are pretty inexpensive. 

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730906 by Uplander
Mine has lasted a long time and I have dropped mine, ran over it with my car and buried in mud, (long story).  You must have really dropped your hard!  Did the above mentioned work?

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #730963 by Ian Stone
LOL you had to have really dropped that.  I throw my  Octopad around all the time and never had any issues.  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731098 by Sanford
Anyone actually use the ball head this thing came with?  I have two of these Octopads and while I get my moneys worth from the base which is built very nicely, the ball heads that come with these are a bit on the cheap side and something I have never used.  Surprised you were able to break the base!  

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago #732474 by Photo Junky
I wouldn't even bother.  I have two of these, well I should clarify that I originally lost mine, gave up on looking for it, and bought another.  Then my wife found my original Octopad in the laundry room!  So now I have 2 of these things.  But these are handy and good for me, inexpensive.  So, I would just get another one and be done with it.  

Photo Comments
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #732487 by r1ch
What is an octapad? Being from a music background the only octapad I know it the Roland Octapad for drummers. I am sure this has to do with photography but I either don't know what it is or use a different term for it. When I google search, it comes up with a Roland Octapad

2 years 1 month ago #732488 by r1ch
Off topic. When I first came here, I got this little badge that said I was the king. I thought, ok, that is cool what did I do. I had it for some time then some pretender to the thrown stole it from me LOL (Nikon Shooter) . I did not know how to get it back so I posted a few more images, answer some question.. No joy. Then I posted here and I got it back. I am now king gain LOL. Not that anyone cares. Not that I really care. I was just wondering how the badge system worked.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024