What makes an editing PC fast - good video card (gpu) or the processor (cpu)?

2 years 3 months ago #730829 by haring
I want to upgrade my computer. I am running a 3gen i7 processor a geforce 1050.

I find that lightroom is slow when I scroll through photos in develop mode? Faster rendering in develop mode would make my editing faster...

What should I upgrade? Processor or the video card? I would like to hear opinions from photographers or videographers who have done the upgrade... I already upgraded the hard drive to ssd.

Thanks a bunch!

Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #730832 by Nikon Shooter
Beside a proper processor supported by sufficient RAM, scratch disk space,
wisely developed workflow, and adequate GPU, the app must be able to fol-
low your ambitions.

In this, Lr is notoriously not recognised to be top performing. I don't use it sin-
ce a long time — or anything adobe for that matter — more modern tools are
way better performing, less heavy and more flexible.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #730840 by CharleyL
Yes, you not only need a fast processor chip and video card, but lots of RAM, good stable hard drives, and fast software. the best hard drives mow being the solid state drives. It's a never ending battle, with larger file sizes and the desire to process them more and faster, additional space and processing speed becomes necessary. It's usually bet to completely replace the computer every few years to get the benefits of this than replacing pieces of an older computer, but get one with the most RAM, CPU speed, video capability, and hard drive space that you can. Although a big ticket item all at once, it will save money and result in satisfying your desire for speed and capacity better. Putting a supercharged V-8 engine in a Model A Ford didn't work very well either.

Charley

2 years 3 months ago #730854 by TCav
Yes.

2 years 3 months ago #730913 by Liem Stailey
Not to discount the RAM you need

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #731959 by r1ch

haring wrote: I want to upgrade my computer. I am running a 3gen i7 processor a geforce 1050.
I find that lightroom is slow when I scroll through photos in develop mode? Faster rendering in develop mode would make my editing faster...What should I upgrade? Processor or the video card? I would like to hear opinions from photographers or videographers who have done the upgrade... I already upgraded the hard drive to ssd.
Thanks a bunch!

Your whole computer. Moving to an SSD would help speed up your old computer from a spinning disk would be a noticeable difference in transferring data to at 600 megabytes per second. The problem is todays motherboards use nvme and depending on PCIe lanes you get 3500 megabytes per second or gen 4 up to 7000 MB per sec. The bus speed on the mother board is so much faster. 3rd gen I7 use DMI2.0  that has been replaced by DMI 3.0,  DMI 4.0, DMIx8. That is bus memory bus speed how fast data travels between memory and cpu.
Add to the the speed increase in the memory itself and other motherboard speed enhancements make your user experience faster and better.
Leave this computer as it is for someone else in your family, build yourself a new computer or buy a new laptop.
Buy a new laptop computer during black friday/Christmas. Every year including this one they have a 16.5 gaming laptop with a Ryzen 4800/5800 8 core 16 thread with a faster video card than you have for $899 that will be similar or slightly faster than the M1's in productivity, photo and video editing , but not the M1pro or Max. Hook it to a nice monitor and you have a fast computer. Those laptops right now are $1299 but at Christmas are $899 
I know that is not what you want to hear but there it is.
I am not a mac guy but the M1 mac mini at best buy is $899, It will run photoshop at similar speeds to the gaming laptop, it is $899. If you going to edit video, either the laptop or mac mini need 16gb of ram. The laptop is upgradable You have to buy the Mac with 16gb of ram at $1299

2 years 2 months ago #731964 by Scotty

Nikon Shooter wrote: Beside a proper processor supported by sufficient RAM, scratch disk space,
wisely developed workflow, and adequate GPU, the app must be able to fol-
low your ambitions.

In this, Lr is notoriously not recognised to be top performing. I don't use it sin-
ce a long time — or anything adobe for that matter — more modern tools are
way better performing, less heavy and more flexible.

When was the last time you used LR or photoshop?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731965 by r1ch

haring wrote: What should I upgrade? Processor or the video card? I would like to hear opinions from photographers or videographers who have done the upgrade... I already upgraded the hard drive to ssd.
Thanks a bunch!

One more thing. If you are still going to upgrade one or the other, go for the CPU.
This shows GPU acceleration is hit and miss and could cause more problems than it is worth.

photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom

Quote from article
As I have pointed out earlier, GPU acceleration can introduce problems in Lightroom. Below is the full list of issues I have come
across:
  • Extremely sluggish brush performance
  • Image previews disappearing and showing as black or some other color
  • Black image when zooming in or panning the image
  • Slow performance when jumping between images
  • Overall reduced Lightroom performance
If you notice any of the above issues, try disabling GPU acceleration and
see if it improves Lightroom performance and its stability. Since GPU
acceleration is a hit and miss for a lot of Lightroom users out there,
you should experiment and see whether it brings you any performance
improvements or not.

2 years 2 months ago #731969 by Scotty

r1ch wrote:

haring wrote: What should I upgrade? Processor or the video card? I would like to hear opinions from photographers or videographers who have done the upgrade... I already upgraded the hard drive to ssd.
Thanks a bunch!

One more thing. If you are still going to upgrade one or the other, go for the CPU.
This shows GPU acceleration is hit and miss and could cause more problems than it is worth.

photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom

Quote from article
As I have pointed out earlier, GPU acceleration can introduce problems in Lightroom. Below is the full list of issues I have come
across:
  • Extremely sluggish brush performance
  • Image previews disappearing and showing as black or some other color
  • Black image when zooming in or panning the image
  • Slow performance when jumping between images
  • Overall reduced Lightroom performance
If you notice any of the above issues, try disabling GPU acceleration and
see if it improves Lightroom performance and its stability. Since GPU
acceleration is a hit and miss for a lot of Lightroom users out there,
you should experiment and see whether it brings you any performance
improvements or not.

Honestly RAM > GPU for lightroom.

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731971 by Nikon Shooter

Scotty wrote: When was the last time you used LR or photoshop?

It was last week, not all my students want to leave their familiar
software so the remote online sessions are done with those.

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731973 by Scotty

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Scotty wrote: When was the last time you used LR or photoshop?

It was last week, not all my students want to leave their familiar
software so the remote online sessions are done with those.

You teach workshops?

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731975 by Nikon Shooter
Only 6 workshops per years— I even want to go slower as I am
hoping to pre-retire — but mentoring and tutoring are still active.

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731977 by Scotty

Nikon Shooter wrote: Only 6 workshops per years— I even want to go slower as I am
hoping to pre-retire — but mentoring and tutoring are still active.

Nice! Retirement sounds good. You'll end up still doing it probably though.

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731979 by Nikon Shooter
Nice you say, Scotty?

Horrible I answer. My sons want to take over… good for them but that
means that I will have to move aside… very difficult. I hate the idea.

Photo Comments
2 years 2 months ago #731980 by Scotty

Nikon Shooter wrote: Nice you say, Scotty?

Horrible I answer. My sons want to take over… good for them but that
means that I will have to move aside… very difficult. I hate the idea.

Pass the torch.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024