Photographing insects on someones property

1 year 11 months ago #736038 by Randy Shaw
This is going to be a strange question, but I need to know so going to ask.  I go for afternoon walks with my camera and lately have been photographing inspects and flowers.  Yesterday while walking on a public sidewalk, I saw this greenish beetle on a yellow rose bush.   Technically the flower was on this persons lawn a foot or two from where I was standing, but again I was on public sidewalk.  

I went to take the shot, and the owner comes out and told me I can't be photographing his property.  I told him it was the beetle I was photographing.  He said everything from the sidewalk in was his property, including the beetle and I didn't have his permission to photograph the bug. :huh:   Yeah really.   

Did he have the right to stop me?  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736039 by r1ch

Randy Shaw wrote: This is going to be a strange question, but I need to know so going to ask.  I go for afternoon walks with my camera and lately have been photographing inspects and flowers.  Yesterday while walking on a public sidewalk, I saw this greenish beetle on a yellow rose bush.   Technically the flower was on this persons lawn a foot or two from where I was standing, but again I was on public sidewalk.  

I went to take the shot, and the owner comes out and told me I can't be photographing his property.  I told him it was the beetle I was photographing.  He said everything from the sidewalk in was his property, including the beetle and I didn't have his permission to photograph the bug. :huh:   Yeah really.   

Did he have the right to stop me?  

I am not a lawyer, I am not in your state or country most likely so your laws may be different. That said as long as you stay off his property you can take pictures of it. Bring your 600 F4 or your telescope and take a picture of that bug. Google takes pictures of your house and property all the time from the road or from the sky. There is no right to privacy. when the person taking the photo is on public property. If you are a licensed drone pilot you can take pictures from the sky (but again, your laws may be different as long as it is not in a government restricted air space).  Is it worth the conflict? I don't think so but if that happened to me I would tell him I can take pictures of your house any time of the day, just like google or anyone else can. If he threatens to call the police, tell him go ahead. They won't come because they are too busy doing real police work anyway like chasing down Black Lives Matter protesters who burn down Federal buildings and local businesses. LOL

1 year 11 months ago #736046 by CharleyL
I was taking photos of a mural that was painted on the side of a building in a nearby town. I was standing on the street sidewalk and the mural was on the other side of a bank parking lot. The woman artist came screaming at me that I wasn't allowed to photograph the mural. I pointed out that I was standing on a public sidewalk and could take photos in any direction from there.

To simplify matters, I was friends with the owners of the frame shop just across the street from where I was standing, went there and told them what happened. I was taken upstairs to their frame workshop and they opened the window that faced the mural, saying "take all the photos that you want". The artist saw me in the window, and it was obvious that she was mad, but I got my photos without a showdown with her, then had pleasant conversation and coffee with the shop owner before leaving with thanks to them for allowing me use of their window.

From the 2nd floor window they were better than from the sidewalk anyway. I could have done it from a car window too. In any case, there are usually alternatives. Even if you are right, it sometimes isn't worth the confrontation, and there frequently are alternatives to get what you want without the argument. 

Charley

1 year 11 months ago #736052 by r1ch

CharleyL wrote: Even if you are right, it sometimes isn't worth the confrontation, and there frequently are alternatives to get what you want without the argument. 
Charley

There are always upsides and downsides to everything you do. Sometimes visible avoidance to that artist only emboldens them to force their will on someone else when they have a right to take all the pictures you want. If you called the police, the police can explain to her she is wrong, she may not do it to the next person who comes along taking pictures. The path of least resistance is not always the best path. But I get it. Who wants confrontation and to involve the police.

1 year 11 months ago #736079 by Shadowfixer1
As long as you don't step onto their property, you can photograph anything you see from a public right of way. 
1 year 11 months ago #736093 by Randy Shaw
That's what I thought.  I knew I couldn't step on their property, which I didn't.  Besides, it was just a bug, a silly little shiny green bug! I'm wondering if that person was just having a bad day?  I even showed him the photo, but he didn't care to see it.  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736095 by r1ch

Shadowfixer1 wrote: As long as you don't step onto their property, you can photograph anything you see from a public right of way. 

Except for some government buildings. You will go to jail for taking pictures of them on public property. I say this to warn people do not test this. If there are signs saying do not photograph this government  building or facility for the public ground or air, you better not do it. It is federal law and it is a felony and there have been people who are
in jail right now for doing it. Just saying..

1 year 11 months ago #736200 by Randy Shaw

r1ch wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: As long as you don't step onto their property, you can photograph anything you see from a public right of way. 

Except for some government buildings. You will go to jail for taking pictures of them on public property. I say this to warn people do not test this. If there are signs saying do not photograph this government  building or facility for the public ground or air, you better not do it. It is federal law and it is a felony and there have been people who are

Good tip!  Thanks for the heads up.  I am one to respect signs regardless who put the up.  Honestly wasn't aware there was buildings that couldn't be photographed.  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736279 by Sanford
These days, people are worked up because of all the morons doing stupid things.  This person could be on high alert because of those people.  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736289 by Shadowfixer1

r1ch wrote:

Thought that would be obvious. I was just referring to the stated situation.
1 year 11 months ago #736293 by TCav
All you  really need is permission from the insect.

1 year 11 months ago #736417 by Colorado Mike

That's what I thought.  But this is within reason though right, you can't take photograph their home or persons on their property right?  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736429 by TCav

Colorado Mike wrote: That's what I thought.  But this is within reason though right, you can't take photograph their home or persons on their property right?  

That's pretty much Street Photography, isn't it?

Just because it's in a residential neighborhood shouldn't make a difference.

1 year 11 months ago #736443 by Shadowfixer1

Colorado Mike wrote:

That's what I thought.  But this is within reason though right, you can't take photograph their home or persons on their property right?  

If you can see it, you can photograph it. The limiting factor is you can't use it commercially without a release. Personal use is no problem.
1 year 10 months ago #737355 by Prago
Heck yeah, that is fair game! 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024