Getting sharp line separating two smoke colors in portrait?

2 years 5 days ago #736111 by No Show
I've been experimenting with creative portraits and using smoke grenades.   I'm trying to use two colors and have them behind my model with a define line of color, blue on one side and yellow on other.  These are Ukraine colors and the problem here is that my colors get blended together. 

I'm hoping for a tip that I might be overlooking, however believe at the end of the day, it's just going to be timing that I need to nail down.  Let me know please.  Thank you!

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
2 years 4 days ago #736131 by Nikon Shooter
My suggestion would be to replace the coloured smokes by a
white one and to project azur and yellow lights on the cloud.

Have a good time! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 4 days ago - 2 years 4 days ago #736132 by r1ch

No Show wrote: I've been experimenting with creative portraits and using smoke grenades.   I'm trying to use two colors and have them behind my model with a define line of color, blue on one side and yellow on other.  These are Ukraine colors and the problem here is that my colors get blended together.
I'm hoping for a tip that I might be overlooking, however believe at the end of the day, it's just going to be timing that I need to nail down.  Let me know please.  Thank you!

I was looking into this. These guys sent me some buy some get some free coupons but they had some good tips.
The second video shows how to use multi color with examples, they guy is a pro photograher and even gives setting for the camera.. Good ideas. I would watch both videos.
https://shutterbombs.com/blogs/smoke-bombs-and-smoke-grenades/how-to-make-the-most-out-of-your-shutter-bombs

2 years 3 days ago #736172 by Stanly

r1ch wrote:

No Show wrote: I've been experimenting with creative portraits and using smoke grenades.   I'm trying to use two colors and have them behind my model with a define line of color, blue on one side and yellow on other.  These are Ukraine colors and the problem here is that my colors get blended together.

I was looking into this. These guys sent me some buy some get some free coupons but they had some good tips.
The second video shows how to use multi color with examples, they guy is a pro photograher and even gives setting for the camera.. Good ideas. I would watch both videos.
https://shutterbombs.com/blogs/smoke-bombs-and-smoke-grenades/how-to-make-the-most-out-of-your-shutter-bombs

Good set of tips, thank you

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
2 years 1 day ago #736314 by Kyle O
Not going to happen, even if there is no wind.  Smoke moves, just nature of working with it.   Extremely creative way to have fun with photos.  

Photo Comments
2 years 1 day ago #736370 by CharleyL
Add the smoke in Post as different layers. You can then add the colors there to suit and position each color so they blend, or not, as you wish. It's easy there, difficult to near impossible to do live. Splitting the shooting area using a large pane of glass might work to keep the smoke colors separated, but I doubt you can make it look good. In post with the smoke colors in layers you can do all kinds of things, even vary the amount and positions easily. 

Charley

2 years 11 hours ago #736392 by KENT MELTON
Do you need a permit to use these?

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736446 by Tanner Bello
No you don't need a permit.  Just common sense on where and how to use them.   

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736633 by Toby J
I get all mine from  enolagaye.com/   these guys have some tips, you won't find sharp lines as one of the things possible.

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736714 by Ontherocks
Smoke is unpredictable and such even more when there is even a slight breeze in the air.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024