Getting sharp line separating two smoke colors in portrait?

2 months 2 weeks ago #736111 by No Show
I've been experimenting with creative portraits and using smoke grenades.   I'm trying to use two colors and have them behind my model with a define line of color, blue on one side and yellow on other.  These are Ukraine colors and the problem here is that my colors get blended together. 

I'm hoping for a tip that I might be overlooking, however believe at the end of the day, it's just going to be timing that I need to nail down.  Let me know please.  Thank you!

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 weeks ago #736131 by Nikon Shooter
My suggestion would be to replace the coloured smokes by a
white one and to project azur and yellow lights on the cloud.

Have a good time! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #736132 by r1ch

No Show wrote: I've been experimenting with creative portraits and using smoke grenades.   I'm trying to use two colors and have them behind my model with a define line of color, blue on one side and yellow on other.  These are Ukraine colors and the problem here is that my colors get blended together.
I'm hoping for a tip that I might be overlooking, however believe at the end of the day, it's just going to be timing that I need to nail down.  Let me know please.  Thank you!

I was looking into this. These guys sent me some buy some get some free coupons but they had some good tips.
The second video shows how to use multi color with examples, they guy is a pro photograher and even gives setting for the camera.. Good ideas. I would watch both videos.
https://shutterbombs.com/blogs/smoke-bombs-and-smoke-grenades/how-to-make-the-most-out-of-your-shutter-bombs

2 months 2 weeks ago #736172 by Stanly

r1ch wrote:

No Show wrote: I've been experimenting with creative portraits and using smoke grenades.   I'm trying to use two colors and have them behind my model with a define line of color, blue on one side and yellow on other.  These are Ukraine colors and the problem here is that my colors get blended together.

I was looking into this. These guys sent me some buy some get some free coupons but they had some good tips.
The second video shows how to use multi color with examples, they guy is a pro photograher and even gives setting for the camera.. Good ideas. I would watch both videos.
https://shutterbombs.com/blogs/smoke-bombs-and-smoke-grenades/how-to-make-the-most-out-of-your-shutter-bombs

Good set of tips, thank you

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #736314 by Kyle O
Not going to happen, even if there is no wind.  Smoke moves, just nature of working with it.   Extremely creative way to have fun with photos.  

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #736370 by CharleyL
Add the smoke in Post as different layers. You can then add the colors there to suit and position each color so they blend, or not, as you wish. It's easy there, difficult to near impossible to do live. Splitting the shooting area using a large pane of glass might work to keep the smoke colors separated, but I doubt you can make it look good. In post with the smoke colors in layers you can do all kinds of things, even vary the amount and positions easily. 

Charley

2 months 1 week ago #736392 by KENT MELTON
Do you need a permit to use these?

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #736446 by Tanner Bello
No you don't need a permit.  Just common sense on where and how to use them.   

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #736633 by Toby J
I get all mine from  enolagaye.com/   these guys have some tips, you won't find sharp lines as one of the things possible.

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #736714 by Ontherocks
Smoke is unpredictable and such even more when there is even a slight breeze in the air.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022

What is a metal print? The easy answer is that it's an image printed on metal. But the best metal prints are a product of a more intricate process.

Jun 21, 2022

After using Linksys routers for many years, I switched to a Synology Router - the RT6600ax. Here are my first impressions!

Jun 15, 2022