How to tell how many charges a battery has had?

2 years 6 days ago #736296 by Ontherocks
Is there a way to tell how many times a camera battery has been charged?  

Photo Comments
2 years 6 days ago #736299 by Nikon Shooter
In one word? No.

In the NiCad days, many attempts in that direction were all given
up because of reliability issues. One thing did remains from those
days: whatever the electrochemical compound used, the nominal
voltage should read the same value among all the cells in a pack.

Any value lower than the pack average shows a loss in performan-
ce.

HTH.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 6 days ago #736300 by Shadowfixer1
Some cameras can report the health of the battery but not the number of charging cycles. 
2 years 5 days ago #736375 by Ontherocks
You would think there would be a way.  I seem to recall you can look up easily battery life and charge numbers with DJI.  Thought there might be a way with our camera batteries.  

OK, well thanks guys!  

Photo Comments
2 years 4 days ago #736387 by CharleyL
I pull any batteries that take excessively longer than their counterparts as they become charged. Most AA rechargeable cells get used in groups of 4 in my speedlites, and usually reach the charger at the same time. If any take excessively longer to be fully charged, I remove them from use. My experience over these last few years has shown that cells that take significantly longer to recharge than others that were used together don't hold their charge very well, so I remove them from use. I keep plenty of spares on hand.

Charley

2 years 4 days ago #736431 by Sandy Smith Photos
So how long are these batteries supposed to last before they start loose their 100% ability?  

Photo Comments
2 years 4 days ago #736436 by Ontherocks

Sandy Smith Photos wrote: So how long are these batteries supposed to last before they start loose their 100% ability?  

I’m still trying to figure that out myself.  

Photo Comments
2 years 2 days ago #736557 by CharleyL
I was putting "/" marks on my AA cells with a black dry marker every time I recharged them, I quit after I reached the other end of the cells. Since most of mine are used in speedlights and their aux battery boosters, and are used in groups of four, I now just watch how long it takes the cells to recharge in comparison to the other cells in the group. They should all be discharged to the same level in the group, so if any take significantly longer to recharge (more than 1/2 hour) than the rest in that group, I pull them out of the group and replace with a new one. I have plastic boxes that hold and store each group of 4. + to the right means that they are recharged. + to the left means that they have been used and need recharging. If they don't get used for several months, I'll put them back through the recharging process so they are at peak and ready for use. Right now I have about 120 rechargeable AA cells, 20 AAA cells, and 4 nine volt batteries that are rechargeable. My large charger is a Bonai that can recharge 16 AA or AAA cells and 2 nine volt cells at a time. I have a smaller charger that can do four AA or AAA cells at a time, but it now resides in my field kit, for emergency use.

The Bonai charger came from Amazon and is over a year old with no problems. Each cell's charge level is displayed while it's charging, so easy to see when fully charged, or when one isn't taking the charge well.

Charley

2 years 19 hours ago #736617 by Ontherocks
Hey thanks again!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024