How to tell how many charges a battery has had?

2 months 2 weeks ago #736296 by Ontherocks
Is there a way to tell how many times a camera battery has been charged?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 weeks ago #736299 by Nikon Shooter
In one word? No.

In the NiCad days, many attempts in that direction were all given
up because of reliability issues. One thing did remains from those
days: whatever the electrochemical compound used, the nominal
voltage should read the same value among all the cells in a pack.

Any value lower than the pack average shows a loss in performan-
ce.

HTH.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #736300 by Shadowfixer1
Some cameras can report the health of the battery but not the number of charging cycles. 

2 months 2 weeks ago #736375 by Ontherocks
You would think there would be a way.  I seem to recall you can look up easily battery life and charge numbers with DJI.  Thought there might be a way with our camera batteries.  

OK, well thanks guys!  

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #736387 by CharleyL
I pull any batteries that take excessively longer than their counterparts as they become charged. Most AA rechargeable cells get used in groups of 4 in my speedlites, and usually reach the charger at the same time. If any take excessively longer to be fully charged, I remove them from use. My experience over these last few years has shown that cells that take significantly longer to recharge than others that were used together don't hold their charge very well, so I remove them from use. I keep plenty of spares on hand.

Charley

2 months 2 weeks ago #736431 by Sandy Smith Photos
So how long are these batteries supposed to last before they start loose their 100% ability?  

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #736436 by Ontherocks

Sandy Smith Photos wrote: So how long are these batteries supposed to last before they start loose their 100% ability?  

I’m still trying to figure that out myself.  

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #736557 by CharleyL
I was putting "/" marks on my AA cells with a black dry marker every time I recharged them, I quit after I reached the other end of the cells. Since most of mine are used in speedlights and their aux battery boosters, and are used in groups of four, I now just watch how long it takes the cells to recharge in comparison to the other cells in the group. They should all be discharged to the same level in the group, so if any take significantly longer to recharge (more than 1/2 hour) than the rest in that group, I pull them out of the group and replace with a new one. I have plastic boxes that hold and store each group of 4. + to the right means that they are recharged. + to the left means that they have been used and need recharging. If they don't get used for several months, I'll put them back through the recharging process so they are at peak and ready for use. Right now I have about 120 rechargeable AA cells, 20 AAA cells, and 4 nine volt batteries that are rechargeable. My large charger is a Bonai that can recharge 16 AA or AAA cells and 2 nine volt cells at a time. I have a smaller charger that can do four AA or AAA cells at a time, but it now resides in my field kit, for emergency use.

The Bonai charger came from Amazon and is over a year old with no problems. Each cell's charge level is displayed while it's charging, so easy to see when fully charged, or when one isn't taking the charge well.

Charley

2 months 1 week ago #736617 by Ontherocks
Hey thanks again!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

A personalized wedding photos album is a product you can use to make your client's special day that much better - and they come in many different forms.

Jul 01, 2022

Not every photo book is made alike. Some are superior to others because of the options you get. Learn what to look for in this guide.

Jun 28, 2022

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

Not sure how to grow your photography business? Check this beginner business guide to learn a few inside tricks to hit the ground running.

Jun 22, 2022

The Panasonic GH3 is an older camera, but despite its age, it has many specs and features that offer photographers a good experience in 2022.

Jun 22, 2022

If you're in the market for some Sony FE lenses for your kit, use this guide to learn more about three excellent prime and zoom lens options.

Jun 22, 2022

If you want to take the best close-up images, you'll need some macro photography lenses to get the clearest, sharpest photos.

Jun 21, 2022